Yep, it’s #TuesdayNewsday and here’s what you should care about in wargaming this week >>>
This Week’s Headline:
Mentioned in Dispatches starts recording next week, with an eye toward kicking off the next season the second week of September. We’ve got roughly a dozen episodes outlined, and will undoubtedly end up with an extra 2-3 in there somewhere.
Newly Released This Week:
- Want your own Captain Tom Moore figure? You know you do. Warlord Games has you covered.
- Avalanche Press has a nice alt-history naval game, Caspian Princes, that covers the Imperial Russians vs the Ottoman Turks on the really big lake.
- By this time next week, Decision Games will be charging / shipping Battle for Germany but you can still snag it at $48 until then.
Newly Launched This Week:
- Compass Games just launched Cradle of Civilization on Kickstarter.
- Steam has an early access grand-scale ACW game called Grand Tactician that’s now out there.
- They Were Soldiers is another game on the battles of Ia Drang in Vietnam, from new publisher Cadet Games
- It wasn’t launched this week, but the TFT book on Ardonirane (the city from which Thorsz of Death Test fame hails) is still on preorder from SJG.
- FFG has a new Arkham Horror expansion Return to the Forgotten Age that’s now on preorder. There’s a definite Indiana Jones feel to this one.
- Yes they are a little generic, but the newly-launched Tabletop Wargaming Counters on Kickstarter have some interesting designs and applicability to lots of different games. £15 gets you in at the base level but it’s a few hundred counters and shipping is included.
- Admirals’ War from Canvas Temple will be live on Kickstarter imminently
- Don’t forget A Hot Dry Season is still on preorder over at Legion Games. Ardwulf has been playing through it with the designer on his channel.
New from the Dragoons:
- Connections AAR #1 dropped last week. We say “#1” because we had some additional people send over thoughts and comments that we’re going to add a #2.
- Did you miss us on #UnboxingDay? If so, you missed Battle of the Bulge, One Small Step, Heights of Courage, Proud Monster Deluxe, OST Vol 3, and Tiny Epic Mechs. Next #UnboxingDay is 17 September
- Saturday Night Fights made it partway through the Battle of Vimiero; part 2 will be along presently.
- Mentioned in Dispatches is coming back in a few weeks.
- Design x Dragoons is delaying the relaunch while we rejigger the composition of the panel a bit.
News From The Wargame Industry:
- CONSIMGAMEJAM – a tabletop takeoff on the popular digital ‘gamejam’ motif – is coming in October, with a couple of pretty well-known designers among the judges.
- Paradox Games has a back-to-school sale right now. Because nothing says “back to school” like blowing off your homework to play games like you just spent all summer doing under quarantine.
- GMT Games reports that both both Plains Indian Wars and The Barracks Emperors made it across the p500 finish line and will move into production.
The Professional Wargaming World:
- BIA announced that VBS4 has officially launched
- Related to the theme of this years’ Connections, DARPA ran a dogfight competition in which the AI consistently beat a live human F16 pilot.
- GUWS has a webinar about logistics tonight, but has also added one about wargaming nuclear war in November.
Something From The Real World That You Can Use In A Game:
A new category here on Tuesday Newsday, to give you some inspiration for your own wargaming scenarios.
- Friend-of-the-Dragoons Michael Peck looks at the China-Taiwan standoff with a GIS analysis of China’s capabilities.
- “Printing” bunkers? C’mon, sure. Why not?
Something From Our Partners:
- Moe is talking with designer Hermann Luttman tonight on his Whiskey Charlie show.
- We mentioned A Hot Dry Season above, but Ardwulf is up to part 13 or so in the streams of their playthrough.
- Ardwulf also has an episode of “Chit Chat” to talk some Napoleonics.
- Dan has a(nother) drinking problem.
- RMN talks about the games they played on vacation last week.
This Week’s Mashup:
This mashup creator’s tagline? “subscribe for more stuff that nobody asked for nor needed”
That’s all for this week!
Be sure to drop by our forums and join the fun, and next Tuesday we’ll drop some more news on you.
We appreciate you visiting the Armchair Dragoons and hope that you enjoy our weekly news dumps!
Please leave us your feedback in our discussion forum, or in the comment area below.
You can also find the regiment on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, and occasionally at a convention near you.