Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Recent Posts

That's the same weekend as ASLOK.

And for me, we have a large event at work around that time, and two of my grandkids have birthdays in October. 

Since we are thinking of moving to the RDU area, I will likely come done sometime this year, but probably not that weekend.
Intel Dump / Re: Whats on Your Table?
« Last post by bob48 on April 11, 2024, 05:32:30 PM »
I'm still very much enjoying LHY at the moment.
I'll try, but really won't know for sure until later this summer.
Intel Dump / Re: Whats on Your Table?
« Last post by BanzaiCat on April 11, 2024, 04:42:46 PM »
Also - with Mr President, I think it was all the reading that put me off.

There IS a lot to it, but, it's REALLY well organized. It walks you through everything; that's how I was able to set up. There were some issues I had in that it doesn't really show you what a lot of the counters look like, so I spent a good amount of time pouring over all the counter sheets to find what I needed, but eventually it worked. And in a way, that's actually a good thing, to get you familiar with all the counters in the game.

The game has a very precise turn sequence and in each phase, you do certain actions. It's a huge game, but each part that makes it up overall is relatively bite-sized, if that makes sense.

I'm especially impressed that there's no politics per the current interpretation of the word - in other words, there's no Democrats, no Republicans, no Libertarians, no Green Party, none of that. Just "your party" and the "opposition party." A deft avoidance of what might have been a rather sticky point, though a lot of people gave this game it's share of crud over the years, which I won't get into.

It's definitely a learning curve, but the story this will tell seems to me to be phenomenal. It's a solid design and Gene really spent a lot of his effort and sweat to make it work, all the while with an eye of making it approachable enough without sacrificing detailed play. A tough balance to attempt. We'll see how it plays out; I only just got back to town late last night and now I have ISS Vanguard all in and a few other Kickstarters all freakin' arriving tomorrow, lol.

I do love that the manuals hold your hand through the process. But you really need to have a love of this type of thing (political game, Presidential simulator) to get enjoyment out of it.
The Modern World / The Caucasus Campaign (2009)
« Last post by bayonetbrant on April 11, 2024, 02:05:39 PM »
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/33003/the-caucasus-campaign

An early Mark Simonitch design before his '40-series all took off

Also on the table at Gamer's Armory this past weekend
Age of Gunpowder / MMP's Gettysburg (Scott Muldoon design)
« Last post by bayonetbrant on April 11, 2024, 02:03:29 PM »
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/266724/gettysburg

A couple of guys got this one the table last weekend at Gamer's Armory

Intel Dump / ‼️ Golden Geek Award Voting ✅
« Last post by bayonetbrant on April 10, 2024, 10:42:55 PM »
Golden Geek Award nominations are open. 
https://boardgamegeek.com/geekawards/boardgame

And we're not above shamelessly begging for votes for "Best Podcast"

Any chance THIS is the year we make it from the initial screening into the actual final vote nominees? 
Some other great wargaming podcasts in there to stuff the ballot box for, like Beyond Solitaire, History on the Table, Wargames To Go, and Homo Ludens.  Go vote for them all!

4X Gaming / Re: Imperial Ambitions
« Last post by bayonetbrant on April 10, 2024, 09:33:28 PM »
Where have you been all my life, Imperial Ambitions?

you're totally jumping in on this, aren't you?
4X Gaming / Re: Imperial Ambitions
« Last post by Gusington on April 10, 2024, 08:44:39 PM »
Where have you been all my life, Imperial Ambitions?
Professional Wargaming / Re: Connections Online 2024 –– 15-20 April
« Last post by bayonetbrant on April 10, 2024, 05:32:55 PM »
Current planned core event agenda, all times US Eastern

Date/Time. . . . . . . . . . . . . .Title
16 April - 10:00. . . . . . . . . Introduction & Distributed Wargaming: Some opening thoughts
16 April - 11:00. . . . . . . . . Distributed Wargaming Best Practices
16 April - 13:00. . . . . . . . . Peter Perla and the Art and Science of Professional Gaming
16 April - 15:00. . . . . . . . . Zenobia Awards Panel Presentation
17 April - 10:00. . . . . . . . . Marine Corps Warfighting Laboratory Wargaming Division
17 April - 11:00. . . . . . . . . Urban Warfare Wargaming: Past, Present, Future
17 April - 13:00. . . . . . . . . CNN Academy- Building Future Journalists
17 April - 15:00. . . . . . . . . Analytical Wargaming with SWIFT-G
18 April - 10:00. . . . . . . . . Human Factors and Cognitive Ergonomics
18 April - 11:00. . . . . . . . . Challenges with Online Multiplayer Events
18 April - 13:00. . . . . . . . . Using Discord to Provide the Kriegsspiel Experience
18 April - 15:00. . . . . . . . . Your Successful Professional Wargaming Career