Author Topic: Marine training  (Read 218 times)

besilarius

• Jr Lancer
on: December 15, 2020, 09:07:53 PM
https://news.usni.org/2020/12/15/marine-infantry-training-shifts-from-automaton-to-thinkers-as-school-adds-chess-to-the-curriculum?

To improve flexibility and critical thinking, the marines are adding chess.
I guess this is a step forward, but with all the games and software that have been created, this is the best answer?

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

Sir Slash

• Corporal
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 11:28:35 PM
What would Ermy have to say?  :doh:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Sergeant
  • Onward and upward
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 11:40:27 PM
Easy to teach, easy to set up, can buy them at the dollar store, and virtually no overhead to get people started

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.

besilarius

• Jr Lancer
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 09:55:38 AM
Seeing chess as a gateway game is a bit hard for my decrepit brain.
Still, the brain is a muscle, and it needs to be exercised.
To improve the immersion, they might wish to use some archaic terms.
The strongest piece is now called the Queen.  In the original Indian/Persian game it was The General.
The change occurred one winter at the court of Elinor of Acquitaine.
You may recall her from the movie The Lion in Winter. A most formidable lady as portrayed.
And such a fan of Christmas.  After discussing her, and her son's, revolts, she asked King Henry, "Shall we hang the presents on the tree...or each other?"

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.