Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: F-35 News  (Read 41429 times)

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #105 on: February 18, 2023, 11:07:30 AM
Great posts Trailrunner and McGuire. I wonder how much, if any, more competition for contracts from different aircraft manufactures would help? Or are there any other manufactures to compete?

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #106 on: February 18, 2023, 03:54:23 PM
Great posts Trailrunner and McGuire. I wonder how much, if any, more competition for contracts from different aircraft manufactures would help? Or are there any other manufactures to compete?

There was ample competition, but there aren't too many primes that can pull off a project this large and sophisticated.  Boeing and Lockheed were in the final downselect in the JSF competition in the early 2000s.  I remember being at Edwards AFB and seeing the prototypes in February 2000 or 2001.  Besides Boeing and Lockheed, Northrup is probably the only other prime that would have been a legitimate contender, and they have become a bit of a bomber company. 

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #107 on: February 18, 2023, 04:17:47 PM
part of the reason that there are so few companies to compete on contracts like this is b/c of all the consolidation in the industry.

Look up how many companies made aircraft for the US military in WW2 and then look at what happened to all those companies - mergers & acquisitions have killed a bunch of them to where there's very few left that can compete for these kinds of contracts.

Same thing w/ armored vehicles, ships, and more

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #108 on: February 19, 2023, 04:03:42 PM
That's too bad. Thanks for the reply.

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming