Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: For son, something similar to Scyther/Gloomhaven.  (Read 10417 times)

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
on: September 02, 2019, 09:36:55 AM
So my son's Birthday is coming up, he turned us onto the Board Gaming hobby, buying himself Gloomhaven and giving me Scyther for my Birthday. Can you guys suggest a similar type purchase, I could buy for my son for his Birthday, looking for suggestions.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 10:27:17 AM
The D&D board games might be an option.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 10:56:39 AM
A big part of the draw is the topicality: what kind of stuff is he interested in?

There's some pretty nifty stuff from Red Raven Games, like City of Iron and The Ancient World, that all has a very distinct almost-dreamlike soft palette of colors, thanks to Ryan's pretty distinct artwork.

If you've got enough players (and time!) then Warrior Knights from FFG is pretty fun, but you need at least 4 people and about 6 hours to really get your money's worth there.

Tiny Epic Galaxies has a great reputation, but I would avoid Tiny Epic Kingdoms, which had a good concept, but the combat model is broken.

If you want something a little more "groggy" but still with some wider appeal, check out either the original Quartermaster General game, or the original Dust boardgame (not the Dust Tactics minis game).

If you want more of a Gloomhaven-Style dungeon crawl, then the earlier suggestion of Descent is a good one, as would be Runebound, also from FFG.  Runebound has a lot of expansions that increase the replayability, too.

If you want more of a 4x-like civ/city builder like Scythe, then look into 7 Wonders or Historia, or you could got the GMT route and look into Conquest of Paradise

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 12:42:05 PM
So many choices, thanks for the suggestions!.. Not sure his current craving, on the PC lately he's been playing 'classic' WoW, which to me seems a waste of time and money, where it has hour long waits to get on server. He text's me an hour before he gets out of work, so that he can remote his PC on his phone and start trying to access.

I think he likes Civ type items. Also played a lot of League of Legends.

@Airboy, I asked him, why he was using the permanent stickers on Gloomfield and he told me, he could use a 'tablet' if he ever wanted to start that one again in the future.

I've enjoyed both Gloom and Scythe with him (before he gave my Scythe, I actually had texted my wife, that it would be a great Bday present for him). So that's why I was thinking of something with the same play style. He likes Magic the Gathering, but I'm totally lost with that one.

How about Star Wars Rebellion is that a good one?

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 01:40:41 PM
Rebellion is one of the most highly regarded board games in the starwars universe. It's not hard to find people that really like that one

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 02:34:56 PM
Rebellion is great but it’s 2-players.  (The box says 2-4. It it’s a lie.  The 4 player version is awful.).   

Outer Rim plays up to 4. It reviews are mixed.

Descent 2nd edition is a good dungeon romp which can be played co-op if you use an app to be the dungeon master (really well done app) or you can play 1vs many where one player controls all the bad guys and everyone else plays heroes.

Terraforming Mars is a good one too.

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 03:14:32 PM
Is journeys in the dark the base game of descent?

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 03:41:18 PM
Root - Is a good asymmetric “COIN” style game combat, economic engine, area control better with more players. Don’t be fooled by the animal theme. It can be quite cut throat.

Blood Rage- Vikings area control, combat, sweet minis. Best with four decent with less.

Descent the Journey in the Darknis the base game.

Star Wars: Imperial Assault is the Star Wars variant. Similar app as Descent for coop play.

Rebellion is really good and War of the Rings is a fantastic two player game too if he is a Tolkien fan.

Star Trek Ascendency is a good 4X if he’s a Star Trek fan pick up some expansions if you can for variety.

Dominion might be a good option too for a card game. Deck builder but very easy to learn and play add an expansion or two and set for a long time.

Crank is a fun dungeon crawl deck builder.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 04:49:48 PM
Is journeys in the dark the base game of descent?

Yup.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/104162/descent-journeys-dark-second-edition

The app is on Google Play, Steam, and iTunes.  It's free and it's called Descent Road to Legend.  There's also a 3rd party app that lets you load in user created scenarios and campaigns.

JasonPratt

• Lancer
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 02:50:21 PM
Tuna, Magic Duels is one hundred percent free on Steam, and their tutorials are not only very good but earn you store-cash toward purchasing cards (in-game only of course).

That doesn't help your quest for a birthday gift, but might help with playing MtG with him.  8)

A nice game with meeple-harvesting mechanics and good atmosphere, also a great PC/iOS (cross-platform) implementation, is the D&D "Lords of Waterdeep". He may have it already, but if he doesn't he'll probably already want it!

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 08:16:43 PM
Leaning towards Descent, but that looks like a good suggestion. lol wife might over-rule and say we're getting him something totally different. He's not a 'full fledged' gamer yet. Only has Magic, and Gloomhaven at this point, and of course bought me Scythe. We'll see, thanks for all the suggestions.

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 06:53:57 AM
Ordered Descent last night, his Birthday is Thursday, thanks for all the help!

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 09:02:25 PM
Ordered Descent last night, his Birthday is Thursday, thanks for all the help!

Now you'll have dozens and dozens of minis you can paint!

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #13 on: September 26, 2019, 09:34:25 PM
He seems happy with his present, Gad, those cards are tiny, I'm gonna have to go to CVS and get some 'old man' glasses!

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #14 on: September 26, 2019, 09:53:56 PM
Must be the deluxe edition- it came with a pair of fancy grey kicks...

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa