Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: This Day in History  (Read 200197 times)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #285 on: January 09, 2020, 08:43:04 AM
Badass.  :2thumbs:

Yeah. There's a hero for you.  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #286 on: January 12, 2020, 12:39:36 PM
In 1500, Cesare Borgia captures the fortress of Forli.
Caterina Sforza, a most formidable woman, is captured while still wielding her weapons.,
At one time, she held Castel St. Angelo in Rome, and used her artillery to keep the College of Cardinals from electing a new Pope.  She was seven months pregnant at the time.
Later she faced a conspiracy to seize her lands:
The fortress of Ravaldino, a central part of the defensive system of the city,[22] refused to surrender to the Orsis. Caterina offered to attempt to persuade the castellan, Tommaso Feo, to submit. The Orsis believed Caterina because she left her children as hostages, but once inside she let loose a barrage of vulgar threats and promises of vengeance against her former captors. According to one rumour, when they threatened to kill her children, Caterina, standing in the walls of the fortress exposed her genitals and said: "Fatelo, se volete: impiccateli pure davanti a me ... qui ho quanto basta per farne altri!" ('Do it, if you want to: hang them even in front of me ... here I have what's needed to make others!').[23] This story, however, is most likely an untrue embellishment. The historical record tells that Caterina, in fact, claimed to be pregnant. Although her statement that she was pregnant is, by most historians, considered to have been a ruse, it rendered worthless any power the conspirators had in holding her children, Girolamo's legitimate heirs.
Think of her as a determined noble lord, defending her holdings.  Something like eleanor of Aquitaine in the Lion in Winter.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #287 on: January 13, 2020, 01:36:33 AM
Yeah, sounds like she was one hell of a woman -- in the best of ways.  :bigthumb: 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #288 on: January 14, 2020, 07:56:39 AM
Robert Cornelis Napier, Field Marshal Baron Napier of Magdala, dies at age 79

"Nothing to Report"

One night around 1880, while the old Victorian war horse Lord Napier of Magdala was serving as Governor of Gibraltar, an officer who had taken on board too much champagne lost his way trying to get back to his quarters, walked off the Rock, and fell to his death.  The following morning, having read the report of the officer of the day, a Lt. O'Donohue, Napier summoned that worthy to his office.

When O'Donohue arrived, Napier asked, "You were officer of the guard at the Elphinstone Guard yesterday?

"I was, sir."

"Lieutenant M____ was killed by walking over the rock."

"He was, sir."

"And yet you said in your report that nothing extraordinary had happened on your guard?"

"I did, sir."

"Well, Mr. O'Donohue, don't you think it extraordinary that a lieutenant walks over the rock, falls one thousand feet, and is killed?"

"Indeed, sir," came the swift reply, "I would think it a good deal more extraordinary if he had fallen that distance and not been killed!"

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #289 on: January 14, 2020, 08:44:30 AM
The LT's logic is infallible

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #290 on: January 14, 2020, 10:05:50 AM
See, Champagne kills. That's why I never drink it. Except at weddings and funerals of people I really like.  :biggrin:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #291 on: January 15, 2020, 07:31:04 AM
50 years ago today, Biafra surrendered

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-51094093

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #292 on: January 15, 2020, 10:40:01 AM
I remember that happening. A terrible war.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #293 on: January 15, 2020, 02:05:03 PM
^Yes, it was pretty grim, even for that period in Africa.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #294 on: January 16, 2020, 08:13:59 AM
The Navy held major exercises called Fleet Problems.  Fleet Problem III was held in 1924 and wargamed out a war in which the Atlantic Battle Force used the Panama Canal to deploy to the Pacific.

UNITED STATES FLEET
The Scouting Fleet
U.S.S. Wyoming, Flagship

Colon, P.R.
13 January, I924.

To: Lieutenant Hamilton Bryan, U.S. Navy, Fleet Intelligence Officer.

Subject: Operations as a spy in Canal Zone, report on.

1. In compliance with Commander SCOUTING FLEET’s order I left the U.S.S. Wyoming on l5 January 1324, proceeded to the U.S.. Richmond, and hoisted on board a sloop, 15 feet overall, 6 foot beam, the property of a native of Bocas del Toro, who was also present. The Richmond proceeded to a point 20 miles northeast of Toro Point Light where we took off, reaching Colon at 1000, 16 January, 1924.

2. At the Hotel Astor I shifted into the uniform of an enlisted man carrying my officer's uniform with me. I then proceeded to Miraflores Locks and received information concerning the passage of ships through the canal.

3. The first battleship to go though was the U.S.S. California at 1600. In devising a scheme to board her, I found it very impracticable due to the possibility of recognition by my classmates on deck at the time. Therefore I waited for the second battleship in line which was the U.S.S. New York. As she lay in the lower lift of the Miraflores Locks I threw my package containing the officer’s uniform on deck, proving that the conveyance of any package on board was possible. I then climbed hand over hand to the main deck up a fender line.

4. I remained on board over night in the capacity of an enlisted man. On 1? January 1924 at 0840, I shifted into may officer's uniform in a trunk outside of No. 3 Handling Room. I then sent for the Magazine Gunner's Mate. At 0810 the Ordnance Gunner appeared and upon my informing him that I was making a Fleet inspection of powder, he opened up a magazine (G-35P) and also a can of powder. In my left hard I carried the wrapping paper concealed in my handkerchief which might have been a detonator charge. At this time the ship was approaching Culebra Cut and a five minute fuse would have exploded the charge as the ship passed through the Cut.

5. I then reported my act to the Commander of Battleship Division Three who made me a prisoner of war under sentry's charge and to be treated as such.

6. I was released from strict confinement, at 1100, 18 January 1924, and given parole aboard the ship. I was released as a prisoner of war at 1000, 19 January, 1924.

T. H. Hederman.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #295 on: January 16, 2020, 08:16:22 AM
50 years ago today, Biafra surrendered

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-51094093

It was his experience as a war correspondent during this war that gave Forsythe the background info he used in writing The Dogs of War

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #296 on: January 18, 2020, 08:24:31 AM
"One of Our Admirals did What?"

On October 1, 1943, Allied troops entered Naples. The Germans had clung fiercely to the city, battling Italian partisans for days while trying to destroy its extensive harbor facitilities. As a result, there was much devastation. Food, water, medical supplies were all scarce, there were thousands of wounded civilians. Allied civil affairs personnel attempted to cope with problem, but were themselves beset by a shortage of resources.

The Prince of Caracciolo, scion of one of the noblest Italian families and head of the Italian Red Cross, knew of the location of extensive stocks of food, medicines, and other supplies that had been kept hidden from the Germans. But when he approached the Allied occupation authorities, he got nowhere; everyone either ignored him or fobbed him off on someone else, and his polite attempts to submit a written proposal explaining his purpose were ignored..

Finally the Prince hit upon a clever idea. He penned a note to the senior British naval officer in the city, which included the lines, “One of your admirals hanged one of my relatives. I demand an immeidate meeting.”

One can immagine the consternation this caused. Within a very short time the prince was ushered into the British admiral’s office. Before anyone could speak, the Prince said, “I am the head of the Italian Red Cross in Naples, and have access to large stocks of food and medical supplies.”

Taken aback, the British admiral, said, “But what about this relative you say was hanged by one of our admirals?”

“Oh,” replied the Prince, “that was my kinsman Admiral Francesco Caracciolo, who was hanged by your Admiral Nelson in 1799.”

Prince Francesco Maria Caracciolo was born on this date in 1752.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #297 on: January 18, 2020, 09:17:46 AM
that's a great one :)

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #298 on: January 18, 2020, 11:19:58 AM
 :applause:

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills