Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Distant Worlds 2  (Read 70158 times)

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #45 on: January 22, 2021, 09:02:38 PM
Excellent! Can't wait.

I just wish they would release a patch for the first game to make sure it runs on Windows 10. I still have to play it on my older Windows 7 desktop as i haven't been able to run it on neither of the Windows 10 laptops we have at home.

I'm literally running it on Win10 right now. 

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #46 on: January 23, 2021, 10:50:18 AM
I seem to have a charmed life when it comes to older games (including Distant Worlds), as I generally can run them just fine on my machine (POS that it otherwise is). 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #47 on: January 23, 2021, 09:56:28 PM
I feature that Stellaris has that I really want to see in DW2 is a fleet design and build screen

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #48 on: January 24, 2021, 12:10:38 AM
There's a lot of features/concepts I'd love to see DW2 incorporate from other games.  :)  That being said, I agree that one would be particularly useful. 

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #49 on: January 24, 2021, 12:59:33 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic about what I'm seeing for DW2. I find I'm getting back into 4X games and I'm hoping this one can keep my attention for a long while.

I just played through Endless Space 2 for the first time and the thing I enjoyed the most (other than the really great UI) was the sense of story. I don't find Stellaris (or any other Paradox game) really tells a good tale. DW:U always did, with the Galactic History, named battles, etc. Hopefully DW2 will do the same.

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #50 on: January 24, 2021, 04:48:43 PM
panzerde!!  Great to see you around these parts again.  :rockon: 

I'm cautiously optimistic about what I'm seeing for DW2. I find I'm getting back into 4X games and I'm hoping this one can keep my attention for a long while.

I just played through Endless Space 2 for the first time and the thing I enjoyed the most (other than the really great UI) was the sense of story. I don't find Stellaris (or any other Paradox game) really tells a good tale. DW:U always did, with the Galactic History, named battles, etc. Hopefully DW2 will do the same.

I strongly suspect it will, yes.  Although Erik has been careful to not reveal too much about the game yet, what little he has revealed indicates that in a lot of ways, DW2 will simply be an improved version of the original game, with better accessibility, user-friendliness, etc.  I don't think they're planning any radical changes, or to reinvent the wheel. 

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #51 on: January 24, 2021, 10:03:34 PM
The second thing I'd really like to see in DW2 is a smarter ship movement AI.  It drives me nuts so see newly built ships sent from the shipyards to the fleet and take months to get there because the Ai doesn't know how to move a ship on a route that will allow it to refill.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #52 on: January 25, 2021, 12:05:34 AM
There needs to be better AI automation with supplies and resources in general.  It's always irked me a little when I add ships to a build queue, only to then get a message informing me "construction has stalled due to lack of X".  I'm like, then why did you let me add the ships to the queue in the first place??!  :tickedoff: 

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #53 on: January 25, 2021, 04:07:50 AM
Excellent! Can't wait.

I just wish they would release a patch for the first game to make sure it runs on Windows 10. I still have to play it on my older Windows 7 desktop as i haven't been able to run it on neither of the Windows 10 laptops we have at home.

I know it runs on some computers but there are quiet a few who cannot run it under windows 10. One of the problems seems to be the intro video. I did remove it on my main windows 10 laptop but the game still doesn't run. Havent' tried to disable the video on my second windows 10 laptop yet though...

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #54 on: January 25, 2021, 09:23:26 PM
Excellent! Can't wait.

I know it runs on some computers but there are quiet a few who cannot run it under windows 10. One of the problems seems to be the intro video. I did remove it on my main windows 10 laptop but the game still doesn't run. Havent' tried to disable the video on my second windows 10 laptop yet though...

Are you using the Steam version?

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #55 on: January 26, 2021, 03:22:47 AM
Excellent! Can't wait.

Are you using the Steam version?
I have all versions available (cds, steam and GOG).

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #56 on: January 26, 2021, 10:17:25 AM
DW2 is available on Steam for adding to your wishlist.  They have the intro video and screenshots.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1531540/Distant_Worlds_2/

:D :party: :silly:

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #57 on: January 26, 2021, 03:18:41 PM
On my wishlist

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #58 on: January 26, 2021, 09:16:42 PM
I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but one thing I like about Stellaris is the ability to build mega structures like habitats, ring worlds, ect.  There are even mods to add more. 

One thing I'm disappointed to see in the reveal video, is that it looks like the research model is the same as in DW:U.  I didn't think I was going to like the randomness of research options that Stellaris has I've found that I like it better than the linear model that DW has.  I really like now know what my next options are going to be. 

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #59 on: January 26, 2021, 09:23:22 PM
Ok, I now more than posted my statement about tech randomness and then they show it's an option in the video.  Much happier now!!