Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Combat Commander The Great War  (Read 4614 times)

judgedredd

on: May 29, 2020, 03:20:40 PM
Anyone got it? How does it pay? I have CC Europe and I really like the card system

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 03:46:33 PM
I've been reading the rules and looking at it on BGG and really like the look of it - and we have the BEF expansion.

I actually posted about it here;
https://www.armchairdragoons.com/forum/index.php?topic=1778.0

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

judgedredd

Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 03:52:22 PM
Lol. How come you have the BEF expansion but not the main game? Or do you just mean they've released a British expansion? I know you have a beef about companies not recognising Britain was in the war too (and I get ya)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 03:57:45 PM
No, I don't have either - I did mean that 'we' as gamer's now have the BEF expansion to add on if we so wish.

I've played a bit of the WW2 CC with one of my buddies and the one big concern I have is with its suitability for solo play because of the card system.

judgedredd

Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 04:23:00 PM
Yeah. I just read about TGW and keeping a Fire card handy. As impartial as I can be, there are some things I just can't ignore...keeping a fire card for "the other side" might be a situation even I can't ignore

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 04:26:34 PM
No, but I really do want a copy.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 04:54:30 PM
...and the one big concern I have is with its suitability for solo play because of the card system.

Yeah. I just read about TGW and keeping a Fire card handy. As impartial as I can be, there are some things I just can't ignore...keeping a fire card for "the other side" might be a situation even I can't ignore

And, gentlemen, really. You disappoint me.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 05:26:14 PM
Really - I've played games solo for many years, and I usually have no problems with being impartial and trying not to be biased to one side or another, and just playing each side to the best of your ability.

For me, gaming is not so much winning ot losing, its more about exploring a historical situation using a game as a tool. Obviously, learning a game system that feels 'realistic' or as near as a game can ever possibly come to being realistic, is another aspect of the hobby.

To be candid, I was not greatly like the WW2 CC games that I did play, but I do find these WW1 games look much more appealing for some reason.

There ya go. JD;
https://www.secondchancegames.com/index.php/ww1/great-war-commander-1-detail

;)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 05:30:52 PM by bob48 »

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 05:37:36 PM
Sigh. Found a copy and ordered it. Had to sacrifice an Amazon gift card but what the heck.

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 05:38:30 PM
...and what of the BEF expansion? You just know you will have to get that as well  ;D

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 05:42:34 PM
Yeah, it's just a matter of time. I really like the Pacific version and this one looks even better.  :D

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

judgedredd

Reply #11 on: May 29, 2020, 05:43:57 PM
Tease.

As an example... I'm currently play World at War which comes with a solo pack. I actually find it easier to play both sides. All I do, for example, is say "If I go up that road, the US are going to catch me...but, as the Russians, I don't know they're up there" and off I move.

So I can do it, I'm just not sure I can on this particular version

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #12 on: May 29, 2020, 05:44:04 PM
Hexasim's components are really top-notch. All the stuff I've had from them has been of excellent quality.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #13 on: May 29, 2020, 05:47:04 PM
Sigh. Found a copy and ordered it. Had to sacrifice an Amazon gift card but what the heck.

Maybe you'll play it before Fields of Despair.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #14 on: May 29, 2020, 05:47:59 PM
......or 'The Scheldt Campaign'......................