Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Why I never quite cottoned to GURPS  (Read 3330 times)

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
on: April 12, 2022, 02:48:06 PM
The mention of  GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Encounters 4: Ring Fort in TuesdayNewsDay reminded me of something I saw recently. Check it out!

I know, it's like 30 minutes. But trust me, keep watching for a while. The sense of horror keeps building.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 02:51:35 PM by mcguire »

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 03:49:55 PM
I tried to get into GURPS back in the day, but my game group was into the HERO system - somewhat similar in concept.

Didn't stop me from buying a few GURPS sourcebooks just for the reading material.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 04:55:16 PM
You should see the character creation process for The Dark Eye.

Always a good sign when a representative from the company that publishes the game gets confused during a 2 hour live stream on the character creation process.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 05:35:35 PM
I don't remember it being nearly that bad when I was playing it back in the '80s

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 06:06:44 PM
The really funny part is that this is the latest (last?) video in a Learning GURPS series (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqckpAfDuMM8XEVuncbGtV5U_4GPcdkyK) that starts with the only game mechanism GURPS needs: the success roll.

I don't remember it being nearly that bad when I was playing it back in the '80s

Honestly, I don't think it really was. This monstrosity covers all of the GURPS modules, and he's careful in the earlier videos to say that using a subset of the rules is perfectly valid. And I never did anything like creating the Witcher Blast thing.  On the other hand,  I do remember the cutting/crushing/impaling/burning damage varieties and the difference between a two-handed sword used one handed and a two-handed sword used two handed.  :o

I tried to get into GURPS back in the day, but my game group was into the HERO system - somewhat similar in concept.

Didn't stop me from buying a few GURPS sourcebooks just for the reading material.

Yep, me, too. Primarily Champions, so we didn't deal with a bunch of modules. And yeah, I have a fair number of GURPS books around because they're good background.

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #5 on: April 14, 2022, 02:28:23 PM
I once made a character using GURPS years ago….one time and never again.

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #6 on: April 14, 2022, 04:31:29 PM
On the other hand, the Hero System looks like it's gotten a wee bit wacky, too.