Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Pacific War or Red Strike?  (Read 2235 times)

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
on: December 06, 2023, 01:06:40 PM
I need some help on choosing a game.

They are both big buggers, so probably not up my street and who knows, I might never play them - but I like the idea of a monster game...even though I know I'm not great with strategy games - I find it difficult to get my head around the big picture.

Having said that - I do want to own one of these games.

Red Strike by Vuca Simulations
A couple of issues with this one...it looks like a monster game. I saw a guy doing an impressions after playing it some and he said he's unlikely to ever get the campaign on the go. He did one scenario but got less than two turns in and ran out of steam. His impression was that turns take a long time - and that was only a smaller Battle scenario!

The other thing is it's £140.

Good thing though it's by Vuca Simulations so you know it's quality. Secondly, it's right up my alley as a cold war combined arms game.

Pacific War:The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945
Then there's this beast.

Same problem as above, I'm not great at Grand Strategy games...however, unlike the other one, it's £90. Oh, and the orientation of the map is very odd...but not really a deal breaker.

Also, it's by GMT - so good quality and again, it's a theatre I'm interested in - especially from a strategy perspective with supply, island hopping, amphibious asaults, carrier forces.

There's precious little in the way of playthrough videos for these games - I assume because they're so large. The couple I found for Pacific War were not great quality and for Red Strike I could only find train up videos...no real playthroughs.

So I'm here for some advice. I won't be fobbed off with "You know you don't like strategy games, so why bother"  ;D

I'm getting one of them. I'm just not sure which - yet.

So if anyone has either of these, I'd really appreciate some additional info on them and how they play.

Oh - and then Moe threw in Blackhorse!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 01:09:07 PM by JudgeDredd »

neach-gleidhidh na h-Alba

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1 on: December 06, 2023, 02:17:06 PM
Blackhorse is the one most likely to hit your table :)
(that said, although the designer is a nice guy, I can't recommend the company)

Red Strike is probably the one you'd be most interested in, but don't you already have Dogs of War (and some others in that series) ?
Those might already scratch that topical itch for you, no?

Pacific War is *very* well-regarded, but you'd need to decide what you're most interested in :)

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #2 on: December 06, 2023, 02:37:20 PM
Thanks Brant.

I sold my copy of Dogs of War and regretted it almost immediately. I did pick up Less Than 60 Miles recently though.

Pacific War is quite enticing...but I'm watching those videos on Red Strike and I am liking what I see.

Perhaps I should get Less Than 60 Miles out on the table to see what I think...maybe it will scratch that itch.

Thing is - I don't know I can put off the urge to buy one until I've read the manual and played LT60M...

I also Have Empire of the Sun which I believe is well regarded also.

I mean - it's not like I don't have these theatres or eras covered - I do...I'm just looking at shiny new I think. Plus - you can't have too many - I love trying out different systems. Having said that, I haven't tried out the systems I've got.

Damn I hate this hobby sometimes. :silly:

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #3 on: December 06, 2023, 03:55:20 PM
I have a list of (your) games that I'm waiting for you to play  ;D

Deadly Woods really should be on your table as we get nearer to 16th December! It looks to be possibly the only single-map Bulge game that may be a reasonable representation.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #4 on: December 06, 2023, 04:27:11 PM
lol - you go away. I don't want people to be sensible here  ;D

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #5 on: December 06, 2023, 06:17:58 PM
 :biggrin:

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #6 on: December 07, 2023, 05:24:07 AM
Well, I asked my missus to get me Pacific War for Christmas and I just ordered Red Strike.

Last I heard she was shouting "£97...really?" so I don't know if I'm getting that.

But Red Strike is on the way  :groovy:

Bob - I will look at The Deadly Woods and see if I can get the rules down pat whilst I play Great War Commander (which is a superb game!) - but, instead of waiting on me......

https://boardgamegeek.com/market/product/3003301
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 05:26:22 AM by JudgeDredd »

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #7 on: December 07, 2023, 06:34:40 AM
Good man  :bigthumb:

I was going to ask how you were getting on with Great War Commander.

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #8 on: December 07, 2023, 07:57:28 AM
Good man  :bigthumb:

I was going to ask how you were getting on with Great War Commander.
It's fantastic...with one caveat...

The Opportunity Fire. It's a bit of a pain in the arse.

Basically when I get a move command and my opponent has a Fire Command/Action, they can Op Fire on me...but for every space I move, one unit can fire at me. So if I'm moving 5 units, for each hex I move into, the enemy can op fire with one unit (or group of units if so activated for the action).

So in that situation, we're looking at drawing FIFTEEN times - one attack for each hex moved into. Add into that the chance of pulling an event, and you are doing alot of card drawing.

A proper example of this is
So if I'm moving 5 units 5 spaces each, for each hex I move into, the enemy can op fire with one unit (or group of units if so activated for the action) at EACH of those units for EACH hex they move into.

That's potentially 25 fire cards drawn and 25 defence cards drawn. So it's very time consuming and burns through cards at an alarming rate - not to forget the additional cards you'll draw during this move because of events.

It's so time consuming I don't look forward to playing a Move command.

I've thought about it and it makes sense given the era - it was deadly to cross no-mans land with the enemy waiting for you...but it is time consuming when you perform a Move Order with more than one unit and the enemy has LoS to you (which they invariably have).

But otherwise - it's a really, really excellent game. And given it's card draws and play, I'm having no problems at all playing both sides. Quality is amazing too. It's been well thought out and implemented.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 04:01:36 PM by JudgeDredd »

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #9 on: December 07, 2023, 12:55:04 PM
Have fun with Red Strike JD. I just couldn’t pay the price with shipping.  :(

So I just received my copy of Compass Games reissue of NATO. It was on sale and since I’m currently in the Florida Keys, shipping was only $14 instead of $45!  So that will have to fix my strat level WWIII itch for. Now.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #10 on: December 12, 2023, 11:40:48 AM
I have both Pacific War and Red Strike.

I have played around with PW but would really love to have the time to really dive into the system.

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #11 on: December 12, 2023, 04:06:55 PM
Yeah - I know it's a monster - as is Red Strike...it's entirely possible they're retirement projects.

I'm hoping I can work through the smaller scenarios in Red Strike to give me confidence for the bigger ones.

Red Strike should be with me by the end of the week. My copy of Pacific War will be delivered tomorrow - alas I can't open it because it's a Christmas Present. I got it really cheap on BGG...£78 including postage and still shrink wrapped  :notworthy:

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #12 on: December 31, 2023, 12:11:59 PM
So I'd hard to criticise anything Vuca do...but I must.

The counters are easily punched...but the nubs they leave are, for me, a pita.

I can't get them off. I've tried sandpaper...big no. I've tried cutting...can't get it all off because of the shape of the counter and where the nub is.

On the one hand, kudos for allowing them to be punched so easily...but marks are removed for the nubs. Other companies (LnL) provide poor rounded, easily punched counters with no nubs. So it can be done.

Of course Vuca aren't the only company to do this type of counter run.

Having said that - the quality of everything in the Red Strike box is amazing.

I got this before Christmas and I've only just finished punching and bashing the counters...and I have a feeling once I start playing ill realise I've bagged them all wrong  :idiot2:

But it all looks fantastic (though those nubs are going to piss me off when I get the counters on the board!!)

Rekim

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #13 on: January 01, 2024, 09:01:00 AM
I've been contemplating a couple of Vuca games, including Red Strike. Really like what I see, but must say I'm not a huge fan of the counter art for RS in particular. Feel like the layout could be improved to make them easier on the eyes.

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #14 on: January 01, 2024, 04:46:15 PM
One other minor criticism...Player Aids. They've given a booklet. I always like cards because I can laminate them and protect them. Aditionally, the Terrain Effects Chart is really quit small. It's not impossible to read, but you do need to give it a proper look to see some of the terrain (for example, rough).

Again - a minor quible. I hope they provide the player aids as downloads so I can print them on paper and laminate them...I'm sure this booklet isn't going to last...it will get proper thumbed over time.

I wonder why game designers/developers/publishers don't think about that...