Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: This Day in History  (Read 200185 times)

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #165 on: November 02, 2019, 07:54:33 AM
Some folks are always seeking new "Imagi-Nations" and hypothetical wars.  If Louis had not broken the original agreement, this could have been a great situation to game out.
England, Holland, and Austria would have had to ally together to face the combined power of France and Spain.  Without the fortifications in the area of Belgium, any conflict would have strategically evolved very differently.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #166 on: November 02, 2019, 08:04:09 AM
Captain-General of Venice, Bartolomeo Colleoni, condottiere,. dies at 75.
Had to pay Verrochio for his own statue.

https://www.wga.hu/art/v/verocchi/sculptur/colleoni.jpg

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #167 on: November 02, 2019, 08:48:16 AM
I'm probably going to have to pay someone for my own statue.  :sigh:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #168 on: November 02, 2019, 07:51:04 PM
I'm probably going to have to pay someone for my own statue.  :sigh:

If you play your cards right, you could get them to pay you not to build your statue

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #169 on: November 03, 2019, 05:41:53 AM
...and then use the money to...build a statue......... ???

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #170 on: November 03, 2019, 07:44:02 AM
No, not a statue.  With a name like bbmike, maybe a ship?

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #171 on: November 03, 2019, 08:25:31 AM
Something prestigious, like an LCS perhaps?

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #172 on: November 03, 2019, 08:46:15 AM
So, it'll be the SS bbmike?

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #173 on: November 04, 2019, 07:57:21 AM
Maybe in England, so it's the HMS SS bbmike?

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #174 on: November 04, 2019, 08:09:14 AM
Battle of the 1,000 slain.
Michikiniqua, Little Turtle, of the Miami Confederation annihaltes the fledgling american army of the Ohio in 1791.

A native force consisting of around 1,000 warriors, led by Little Turtle and Blue Jacket, waited in the woods until dawn, when the men stacked their weapons and paraded to their morning meals. Adjutant General Winthrop Sargent had just reprimanded the militia for failing to conduct reconnaissance patrols when the natives then struck, surprising the Americans and overrunning their ground.

Little Turtle directed the first attack at the militia, who fled across a stream without their weapons. The regulars immediately broke their musket stacks, formed battle lines and fired a volley into the natives, forcing them back. Little Turtle responded by flanking the regulars and closing in on them. Meanwhile, St. Clair's artillery was stationed on a nearby bluff and was wheeling into position when the gun crews were killed by native marksmen, and the survivors were forced to spike their guns.
After three hours of fighting, St. Clair called together the remaining officers and, faced with total annihilation, decided to attempt one last bayonet charge to get through the native line and escape. Supplies and wounded were left in camp. As before, Little Turtle's Army allowed the bayonets to pass through, but this time the men ran for Fort Jefferson. They were pursued by Indians for about three miles before the latter broke off pursuit and returned to loot the camp. Exact numbers of wounded are not known, but it has been reported that execution fires burned for several days afterwards.

The casualty rate was the highest percentage ever suffered by a United States Army unit and included St. Clair's second in command, Richard Butler. Of the 52 officers engaged, 39 were killed and 7 wounded; around 88% of all officers became casualties. After two hours St. Clair ordered a retreat, which quickly turned into a rout. "It was, in fact, a flight," St. Clair described a few days later in a letter to the Secretary of War. The American casualty rate, among the soldiers, was 97.4 percent, including 632 of 920 killed (69%) and 264 wounded. Nearly all of the 200 camp followers were slaughtered, for a total of 832 Americans killed. Approximately one-quarter of the entire U.S. Army had been wiped out. Only 24 of the 920 officers and men engaged came out of it unscathed, the survivors included Benjamin Van Cleve and his uncle Robert Benham; van Cleve was one the few who were unharmed. Native casualties were about 61, with at least 21 killed.

The number of U.S. soldiers killed during this engagement was more than three times the number the Sioux would kill 85 years later at the Battle of Little Big Horn. Historian William Hogeland calls it "the high-water mark in resistance to white expansion. No comparable Indian victory would follow."[18] The next day the remnants of the force arrived at the nearest U.S. outpost, Fort Jefferson, and from there returned to Fort Washington.

President Washington's desire to keep the judicial branch from overseeing the actions of the executive branch led to the first Cabinet meeting, and then the idea of executive privelege.

Mad Anthony Wayne beat the Miamis with the well trained Legion of the United State at the Battle of Fallen Timbers.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #175 on: November 04, 2019, 08:33:28 AM
No, not a statue.  With a name like bbmike, maybe a ship?

So, it'll be the SS bbmike?

Maybe in England, so it's the HMS SS bbmike?

Guys, the alphanumeric abbreviations for battleships were always "BB-xx"
BB-61 was the USS Iowa
BB-63 was the USS Missouri
BB-21 was the USS Kansas
BB-18 was the USS New Jersey
BB-8 wasn't just a Star Wars droid.  It was also the USS Alabama (which was not a submarine, despite the movie)

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #176 on: November 04, 2019, 08:39:54 AM
BB = battleship? Who knew.............

You'll be trying to tell us that CV  = Fleet carrier, next.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #177 on: November 04, 2019, 08:40:48 AM
Ok, extrapolating from that, let's use the Pythagorean system of numerology to assign numbers to letters:

1 = a, j, s,
2 = b, k, t,
3 = c, l, u,
4 = d, m, v,
5 = e, n, w,
6 = f, o, x,
7 = g, p, y,
8 = h, q, z,
9 = i, r,

Therefore, bbmike = BB- 4 + 9 + 2 + 5 = BB-20

BB-20 is the USS Vermont, a Connecticut-class battleship. I'm reckoning bbmike is about as old as that one, so...  :D

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #178 on: November 04, 2019, 08:42:09 AM
BB = battleship? Who knew.............

You'll be trying to tell us that CV  = Fleet carrier, next.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #179 on: November 04, 2019, 08:52:50 AM
Ok, extrapolating from that, let's use the Pythagorean system of numerology to assign numbers to letters:

1 = a, j, s,
2 = b, k, t,
3 = c, l, u,
4 = d, m, v,
5 = e, n, w,
6 = f, o, x,
7 = g, p, y,
8 = h, q, z,
9 = i, r,

Therefore, bbmike = BB- 4 + 9 + 2 + 5 = BB-20

BB-20 is the USS Vermont, a Connecticut-class battleship. I'm reckoning bbmike is about as old as that one, so...  :D

I figured I'd be more like the SS Minnow.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy