Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: What are Triple Letter Campaigns?  (Read 3509 times)

Navaronegun

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
    • LENS OF HISTORY: THEY AREN'T WARGAMES…THEY'RE TIME MACHINES
on: August 29, 2021, 02:44:52 PM
What are Triple Letter Campaigns?
Armchair Dragoons Triple Letter Campaigns (ACD-TLC) are Operational Campaigns from the Second World War where tactical resolutions are performed via miniatures play on Tabletop Simulator.  Each Operational Campaign will be specifically designed for the Operational Situation being presented.  Each side will have an overall commander and multiple players will represent battlefield commanders for each side, fighting the battles.  Operational decisions will be made by each overall commander in consultation with the subordinate commanders.

Why are they called Triple Letter Campaigns?
For funsies.  Also TLC can mean “Tender Loving Care.”  Each campaign will have a setting; a place and a time.  The first one will be Race To Tunis, 1942 (RTT ’42).

What Rules for Minis will you use?
Stand = Platoon/Inch = 50ish yards/Turn = 15-30 min seemed to be the best scale to use for this concept, but I immediately became dismayed by the options available out there in regard to providing a robust system, but not devolving into micro “gear.” Issues more applicable to a smaller scale.  So, a set of rules is ready for Alpha-testing to kick off this campaign.  When they leave Alpha, the Beta will be the first Campaign, RTT ’42.  All rules and products made for TLC will ultimately be released on Wargame Vault at low cost with all proceeds going to help keep the lights on at Armchair Dragoons.

Tell me about RTT ’42 !!
From the Alpha Test Scenario "Action at Djebel Abiod: November 17, 1942”:
After the Torch landings on 08 NOV 42, the disembarkation of mobile forces for an advance did
not begin until 12 NOV. The Allies had only two infantry brigade groups from the British 78th
Infantry Division (the 1tth and 36th Brigades) and an armoured regimental group from the British
6th Armoured Division (termed Blade Force). The Allied plan was to attempt to reach Bizerte
and Tunis overland before the Axis could establish themselves. The Axis, meanwhile, had
occupied metropolitan Vichy France and diverted replacements bound for the retreating
Rommel to Tunis. As well, the Axis had begun both the provision of every possible unit that was
available in Western Europe to this Tunis Bridgehead and the transfer of the vast majority of the
Luftwaffe’s resources to Sicily and Tunisia. A two-pronged initial advance eastward was
planned with the 36th Brigade Group advancing along the coast road and the 1tth Brigade
Group along the Beja-Medjaz El-Bab Road with Blade Force covering the left of 11th Brigade
Group and maintaining a line of communication between the two groups. The Race to Tunis
had begun.

Players will command Brigade-ish sized Task Forces (or Kampfgruppen or Battle Groups, if you prefer).  Theater Commanders will make decisions regarding Air Support, Special Forces deployment, Replacement and Reinforcements and Operational movement.  Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance factors and capabilities for both sides will be considered.  As well, Supply.  Then they day’s battles will be configured, each on a 15” by 15’ map (5 miles by 5 miles in the system’s scale).  Battles will be resolved, casualties recorded.  A new day will begin.  Its like a Kriegspiel, but necessarily a lot deeper.

This sounds fun! I want in!  What do I do!
PM me, we’ll talk. We’d love to have you.

Alpha-Test?  Can I help?
Sure, PM me.  We want to keep the Alpha small with a Gideon-force sized group.  Bang out the rules looking for obvious flaws, and try to flow into the Campaign (and Beta) soonest, hopefully before Thanksgiving.

Any help regarding models as well as helping me get smart regarding TTS maps and modding functions are urgently needed.  As well, those willing to help out with modding for battles as the Campaign moves forward are also welcome, though I fully plan to do the lifting and record-keeping on this one.  I’d like a chance to play every once in a while, so I may relegate myself to the role of a lonely grunt commander, maybe filling in for departures and those who need a replacement from the bench.

That’s all for now.  Anyone with any questions please respond!  I’ll have a lot more to follow.

We use Wagner! My boys love it!