Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • SAVE THE DATE!  The Armchair Dragoons Fall Assembly will be held 11-13 October 2024 in Raleigh/Cary, NC

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Recent Posts

History and Tall Tales / Re: This Day in History
« Last post by besilarius on June 09, 2024, 07:24:41 PM »
53   BC   the Roma Triumvir Crassus was crushed by the Parthians in the Battle of Carrhae

1502. Papal agents Francesco Troches & Jacopo Santa Croce, as well as Astorgio III Manfredi (17), Sovereign Lord and Papal Vicar of Faenza , and his brother Gianevangelista Manfredi (14), Castellan of Faenza, garotted in Rome by Michellotto Coreglia on orders of Cesare Borgia

1672. Peter Alekseyevich Romanov was born, Tsar Peter “The Great” of Russia (1682-1725

1818 "I  learnt what one ought not to do, and that is always something.". Arthur Wellesley, later the Duke of Wellington,  On the disastrous Netherlands Campaign of 1794-1795

1855. HM gunboats 'Merlin' and 'Firefly' gained the dunious honor of being the first ships damaged by marine mines, off Kronshtadt in the Baltic

1864   Skirmish at Roswell, Ga: Caught by a Confederate patrol while bathing in the Chattahoochie River, the men of the US 1st Tenn Cav mount a charge while buck naked

1912.   On January 27, an French Army staff study declared that aviation was "an indispensable instrument for our armies in the field" and proposed the expansion of the current aircraft inventory from 120 machines, plus 40 on order, by 328 more.

1938. The Chinese breach the Yellow River dykes at Huayangkuou, halting a Japanese offensive at the cost of perhaps 800,000 lives

4X Gaming / Re: Civilization 7
« Last post by Gusington on June 09, 2024, 04:55:52 PM »
^Hahaha  ;D...I'll still take Snoop or Willie as the in-game avatar for that.

I tried Civ VI again yesterday and still do not like it, I apologize.

It's the cartoony-ness that gets me down.

The new trailer for VII gave a similar impression  :nerd:
The Modern World / Armored Brigade II
« Last post by bayonetbrant on June 09, 2024, 11:38:40 AM »
Armored Brigade II: Screenshots & Interview

And now, with the development of Armored Brigade II in the works, think AB, only better, and that is exactly what they’ve been targeting for their next release. Don’t break what’s not broken, and give additional visual accuracy with the newer 3D engine that, per the development team, is intended to be used at all levels of zoom. But also, keep in mind, this is not a simulator. Their intent is to accentuate the existing visual model, and over time, continue to optimize and improve the 3d graphics beneath. Also of note, this is a brand new 3D engine; the development team are building it from absolute scratch, which of course has its ups and downs.

https://wp.me/pae4WL-9ke

Sci-fi & Fantasy Warfare / Re: Fallout and Terraforming Mars
« Last post by JudgeDredd on June 09, 2024, 10:13:04 AM »
Xia is expensive for as punt on something I might not like. It does sound cool...but  I don't know.

I'll think about it.

Thanks for the links BC - I searched the forum - I didn't know they were on the front page!
« Last post by besilarius on June 09, 2024, 09:26:04 AM »
66       Jewish Zealots storm the Fortress Antonia in Jerusalem, initiating the great rebellion against Rome

632         Mohammed, c. 62

218         Battle of Antioch: Roman Emperor Macrinus (r. 117-118) is defeated by Legion III Gallica, giving the empire to Elagabalus (r. 118-122)

1840 the Royal Navy had 77 ships-of-the-line, in contrast to France’s 23, Russia’s 33 (divided between the Baltic and the Black Sea), America’s seven, and smaller numbers held by other navies

1871. Satanta, c. 58, Kiowa war chief, suicide by jumping out a window, possibly assisted by arresting troops

1915. SecState William Jennings Bryan resigns to protest "excessive" US response to the 'Lusitania' sinking

1943         Internal explosion destroys BB 'Mutsu' in Hiroshima harbor

Following Italy’s surrender to the Allies in September of 1943, some SS men were given a very special mission by their leader Heinrich Himmler: to capture the oldest extant manuscript of the Roman historian Tacitus’ Germania which, though written some 1800 years earlier, had played a major role in shaping German nationalism; but fortunately its owner (the anti-fascist Count Aurelio Baldeschi-Balleani) had it carefully hidden.

1967. USS Liberty (AGTR-5) is mistakenly attacked by four Israeli jet fighters and three motor torpedo boats (MTB). Of the 293 U.S. personnel aboard, 34 (31 Sailors, 2 Marines, and 1 National Security Agency civilian) are killed and 171 wounded as a result of multiple strafing runs by jet aircraft, surface fire from the MTBs, and one hit by a 19-inch torpedo.
« Last post by Arctic Blast on June 08, 2024, 11:30:17 PM »
Honestly - no idea.

Solo or two player that can be fairly easily solo (no hidden stuff) and replayability are the only things I'm sure about. Card based would be a +

So I was looking at Terraforming Mars for the "civilisation" thing. Fallout for the combat. I guess either of those themes...space exploration and/or combat/distopia.

Honestly, outside of solo, good replayability and a plus for card driven, I don't really have any pull in any one direction.

Also - where did you spring from?

I have made my 'glorious' return.  ;D

There's a game called Empires of the Void II that might make sense. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/218509/empires-of-the-void-ii   I've never played it, but it looks like you're exploring a chunk of galaxy with unique worlds and alien races. Also, Xia : Legends of a Drift System is pretty good, though it can be pricy. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/82222/xia-legends-of-a-drift-system   You can take on missions, do cargo runs, engage in piracy, go after pirates for bounties, accidentally warp into a sun - all sorts of fun stuff.
« Last post by BanzaiCat on June 08, 2024, 09:56:22 PM »
Here you go!

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/articles/aars/spacecorp-2025-2300-ad-the-aar-index/

The solo 'bot' is driven by actions taken via cards you reveal. It has an advantage in that it can pretty much go anywhere on the board, whereas you have to work to build your infrastructure and your reach within any of the three maps. There are three Eras - can't recall their names offhand - but the first deals with the push to the Asteroid Belt, the second is a push to the Oort Cloud I believe (the edges of our solar system), and the third deals with interstellar space.

It has interesting twists in the forms of exploration that can reveal things along the way, which drives a narrative. While the bot/AI has an 'unfair' advantage, it's just meant to push you to move and build as best you can. There are big rewards for doing certain firsts (e.g., being the first to land on Mars, I think is one). It's challenging but not oppressingly so.

I've played it with another player as well. It is much more balanced that way, of course - you could technically play it multihanded if you wanted to, as well. However, there are certain 'take that' mechanisms where the bot/AI will grab cards you were eyeing (you'll see, reading a bit of my AAR), but again, that's more to keep you guessing and thinking of how you can get where you need to go, as quickly and efficiently as possible. I love the system, either way.
Saturday Night Fights & Tabletop Simulator / Re: Eggmuhl Week
« Last post by bayonetbrant on June 08, 2024, 08:04:11 PM »
Saturday Night Fights ~ The (Never-ending) Battle of Eggmuhl for the "General d'Armee 2" rules

Our voxel-powered Napoleonic battle rumbles on

https://wp.me/pae4WL-90x
« Last post by besilarius on June 08, 2024, 07:18:37 PM »
417   BC   the desecration of the Herms at Athens [Alt]

0   the Roman festival of the Ludi Piscatorii, celebrated by the fishermen of the city to honor Father Tiber

1117. The entrance to the Baptistery of the Church of San Giovanni in Florence sports spectacular bronze doors made by Lorenzo Ghiberti in the early fifteenth century, and is framed by two massive columns of porphyry. Now porphyry is a stone of such color and quality as to be termed “Imperial Porphyry,” and the columns are among the largest pieces known of this rare stone; apparently only Tamerlane’s sarcophagus in Samarkand is larger. How the baptistery acquired the columns is an interesting story.
Though later they would be at each other’s throats for generations, during the twelfth century Pisa and Florence, neighbors in Tuscany, were on friendlier terms. So much so, that the Pisans once asked the Florentines to guard their city while they were on an overseas expedition.
The tale is told by Giovanni Villani, in his New Chronicles on the history of Florence, composed early in the fourteenth century. 
In the year of Christ 1117 the Pisans made a great expedition of galleys and ships against the island of Majorca, which the Saracens held, and when the said armada had departed from Pisa and was already assembled at Vada for the voyage, the commonwealth of Lucca marched upon Pisa to seize the city. Hearing this, the Pisans dared not go forward with their expedition for fear that the Lucchese should take possession of their city; but to draw back from their enterprise did not seem for their honor in view of the great outlay and preparation which they had made.
Wherefore they took counsel to send their ambassadors to the Florentines, for the two commonwealths in those times were close friends. And they begged them that the Florentines would please to protect their city, trusting them as their inmost friends and dear brothers. And on this the Florentines undertook to serve them and to protect their city against the Lucchese and all others.
Thus, the commonwealth of Florence sent thither armed men in abundance, horse and foot, and encamped two miles outside the city. In respect for the Pisan women they would not enter the city, and made a proclamation that whosoever [of the Florentine host] should enter Pisa should answer for it with his person. One man did enter the city and was accordingly condemned to be hanged.  And when the old men who had been left in Pisa prayed the Florentines for love of them to pardon him, they would not.  But the Pisans still opposed, and begged that at least they would not put him to death in their territory; whereupon the Florentine army secretly purchased a field from a peasant in the name of the commonwealth of Florence, and thereon they raised the gallows and did the execution to maintain their decree.
And when the host of the Pisans returned from the conquest of Majorca they gave great thanks to the Florentines, and asked them what memorial they would have of the conquest — the metal gates or two columns of porphyry which they had taken and brought from Majorca. The Florentines chose the columns, and the Pisans sent them to Florence covered with scarlet cloth, and some said that before they sent them they put them in the fire for envy. and the said columns are those which stand in front of [the Baptistery of the Church of ] San Giovanni.
Thus it was that, for the cost of keeping an army in the field for some months, plus one disobedient soldier hanged, Florence acquired two of the most impressive porphyry columns in the world, between which, more than a century later Ghiberti would work his own magic.

1672         Battle of Solebay: Dutch Admiral Michael de Ruyter trounces the English

1763. During the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries the fortification of Cartagena de las Indias, in Colombia, cost the Spanish Crown some 59 million ounces of gold, easily about $17.3 billion today, without adjusting for the relatively higher value of gold a quarter of a millenium ago.

1878. During their protracted siege of the Turkish fortress of Plevna, in Bulgaria, in 1877-1878, the Russian Army lost about 22,000 draft horses, roughly two-thirds of the number available to haul supplies and equipment.

1914. Although the British Army had been preparing for military operations alongside the French for many years, when the BEF went into action in France and Belgium in August of 1914, maps were in such short supply many officers had to rely on Michelin guides.

1952. Marshal of the Royal Air Force Hugh Dowding, who commanded “The Few” during the Battle of Britain, was a champion skier, a vegetarian, a member of both the Fairy Investigation Society and the Ghost Club, and a spiritualist who believed he communed with his late wife and his dead airmen.