Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Recent Posts

Age of Gunpowder / Re: Battle of Sekigahara by The Historical Game Company
« Last post by bayonetbrant on April 04, 2024, 08:31:29 AM »
First Impressions: Battle of Sekigahara
Stephen L. Kling’s Battle of Sekigahara offers a chance to get a feel for this historic battle in a game that’s easy to learn, quick to play and captures the feel of a battle that would decide the direction a significant portion of history.

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/articles/reviews/sekigahara1st/

Intel Dump / Re: Whats on Your Table?
« Last post by JudgeDredd on April 04, 2024, 05:05:08 AM »
Also - with Mr President, I think it was all the reading that put me off.
History and Tall Tales / Re: This Day in History
« Last post by besilarius on April 03, 2024, 07:08:35 PM »
1770         Theodoros Kolokotronis, Greek soldier, "the old man of Morea", senior commander in the War for Indpendence from the Ottomans (1821-1829)

1860         First ride of the Pony Express

1865         Union forces occupy Richmond & Petersberg, to the tune of "Dixie"

1866. When the royal party came under fire at the Battle of Koniggratz (July 3), Prussian Chancellor Otto von Bismarck said to King Wilhelm I, "As a major I have no right to counsel your Majesty on the battlefield, but as Minister-President it is my duty to beg your Majesty not to seek evident danger!", to which the king, a veteran of Waterloo, replied with a smile, "How can I ride off when my army is under fire?"

1904. The outbreak of the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905), caused panic among some British officials who, fearing the Russians would use their mobilization for a war in the Far East to mask an invasion of India from Turkestan through Afghanistan, strengthened the Indian Army, a measure that proved quite useful in the war that would break out in 1914.

1919         Wilbur Little, returning black WW I veteran, lynched by a mob in Blakely, Georgia, for wearing his uniform in public.

1942. Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, is named Commander-in-Chief, Pacific Ocean Areas (CINCPOA) and also retains the title of Commander-in-Chief, Pacific Fleet (CINCPAC).

1943         Conrad Veidt, 50, German born American actor (Major Strasser in 'Casablanca')

1944         British bombers attack the German battleship 'Tirpitz' in Norwegian waters

1944         Burma-India: British juggle forces to stem the Japanese drive on Imphal

1945. battery of two British 15-inch Mark I naval rifles installed at Wanstone, in southeastern England, in June of 1942, fired so often at German positions on the other side of the Strait of Dover that they had to be retubed four times before the war ended.
« Last post by bayonetbrant on April 03, 2024, 09:42:48 AM »
Warrior Knights from FFG has some mechanics for this
« Last post by bbmike on April 03, 2024, 09:27:15 AM »
1734, finding that some 1,200 of his soldiers had gone AWOL to join the better-paying Spanish Army at Genoa, King Charles Emmanuel III of Sardinia instituted cavalry patrols to prevent the troops from escaping, and ordered captured deserters executed, which seems to have done little to stem the outflow of troops, lured by that extra cash.

Not sure I've seen this happen in a wargame.  8)
Intel Dump / Re: Tuesday Newsday! Weekly dump of wargaming news
« Last post by bbmike on April 03, 2024, 08:30:11 AM »
Holy Crap!  Worthington Games2 has put Divine Right up on Kickstarter and we’re finally going to see a new version after all these years

Isn't that one of your "grail games'?
« Last post by besilarius on April 02, 2024, 10:29:59 PM »
1194. tradition holds that King Richard Lionheart first met Robin Hood, in Sherwood Forest

1672 the origins of the bayonet are rather obscure.  The weapon is traditionally associated with Bayonne, a port city at the foot of the Pyrenees in southwestern France, a town apparently noted for a type of hunting knife with a long slender blade.  Various tales are told of how the practice of putting one of these at the end of a musket arose.
One tradition holds that during feuds, local uprisings, or perhaps bandit excursions, some folks, having run out of ammunition, jammed their hunting knives into the muzzles of their muskets to improvise a spear.  Another tale has it that men hunting bear or boar in the Pyrenees would jam a knife into the muzzle of their musket after firing rather than try the long process of reloading, just in case their target took offense.  It’s also possible that both accounts are more or less accurate.
The first references to the military use of the bayonet come from about 1660.  Soon afterwards it began to become common in both Spanish and French armies. By tradition it was introduced into the latter by Jean Martinet, who rose to Inspector General of the French Army before being killed by “friendly” artillery fire in 1672 (not “fragged” as is commonly reported).
The first allusion to bayonets in the English army is found in a Royal Warrant of King Charles II dated April 2, 1672:
Our will and pleasure is, that a Regiment of Dragoones which we have established and ordered to be raised, in twelve Troopes of fourscore in each besides officers, who are to be under the command of Our most deare and most entirely beloved Cousin, Prince Rupert, shall be armed out of Our stoares remaining within our Office of the Ordinance, as followeth; that is to say, three corporalls, two sergeants, the gentlemen at armes, and twelve souldiers of each of the said twelve Troopes, are to have and carry each of them one halbard, and one case of pistolls with holsters; and the rest of the souldiers of the several Troopes aforesaid are to have and to carry each of them one matchlocke musquet, with a collar of bandaliero, and also to have and to carry one bayonet or great knive. That each lieutenant have and carry one partizan, and that two drums be delivered out for each Troope of the said Regiment.

1734, finding that some 1,200 of his soldiers had gone AWOL to join the better-paying Spanish Army at Genoa, King Charles Emmanuel III of Sardinia instituted cavalry patrols to prevent the troops from escaping, and ordered captured deserters executed, which seems to have done little to stem the outflow of troops, lured by that extra cash..

1863. Richmond Bread Riot: Jeff Davis threatens to fire on women & children

1916. German Zeppelins bomb a distillery in Rosyth, causing a flood of fine whiskey.  Reportedly up to thirty Scots drowned trying to save the whiskey.

1941. Nazi occupiers disband the Dutch Boy Scouts

1942. USS 'Hornet' (CV-7) sails from San Francisco, carrying 16 Army B-25Bs
   During the Buna-Gona Campaign against the Japanese in northeastern New Guinea (October 1942- February 1943), 53 percent of the men of the 32nd Infantry Division suffered from malaria, dengue, or other tropical fevers, and the statistical infection rate was 5,358 cases per thousand men on strength, due to reinfections and relapses

1966 C.S. Forester, novelist ("Horatio Hornblower"), b. 1899
Intel Dump / Re: Tuesday Newsday! Weekly dump of wargaming news
« Last post by bayonetbrant on April 02, 2024, 04:18:26 PM »
More “A” Than “I” ~ #TuesdayNewsday
Get your weekly dose of wargaming wisdom every #TuesdayNewsday, as we delve into the intricacies of tabletop warfare and other strategic brilliance.

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/news/tn040224/

« Last post by JudgeDredd on April 02, 2024, 11:31:27 AM »
Good stuff, JD.

I'm very much into 'Last Hundred Yards' at the moment - its a bit of a learning curve, but very rewarding once you get proficient with it.
Nice one...I never did get proficient at it. But I am keeping hope for the future.

Mr. President by GMT Games.

This thing is a table hog, but fortunately I can fit it on my new table! I guess the table passed the test  ;D

I spent quite a bit of Sunday setting this up and reading through one of the many manuals. I also watched a video that details the first turn, but I'm only halfway through it (the video is more than 2 hours long). There's a LOT going on in this game, but the story it tells and all the tons of decisions you get to make in it...it's hard not to want to play it.

I was tempted with that...but the length of a turn made me rethink. I've heard nothing but great things about it from several YT'ers.
« Last post by BanzaiCat on April 02, 2024, 09:27:30 AM »
Mr. President by GMT Games.

This thing is a table hog, but fortunately I can fit it on my new table! I guess the table passed the test  ;D

I spent quite a bit of Sunday setting this up and reading through one of the many manuals. I also watched a video that details the first turn, but I'm only halfway through it (the video is more than 2 hours long). There's a LOT going on in this game, but the story it tells and all the tons of decisions you get to make in it...it's hard not to want to play it.