Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Ottoman ships  (Read 4307 times)

besilarius

• Corporal
on: March 28, 2021, 02:02:31 PM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Matapan

For those with an interest in galley warfare, or the Ottoman empire, this may be useful.
At the. End of the article, there is a list of the ships involved in Matapan.
It gives the Ottoman ships names in both Turkish and english.  This information been has hard to come by for me.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 06:07:18 PM
Ottoman ship names are weird.

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 06:09:47 PM
But probably not to an Ottoman, obviously  ;D

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 10:18:03 AM
Well, once when Napoleon was reviewing the troops, he turned to Talleyrand, "Isn't my army the greatest in the world?"
"Sire, you can do anything with bayonets, but sit on them."
I'm sure an Ottoman would agree.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 03:38:19 PM
besilarius, I think you might actually be able to out-do my brother when it comes to dry quips.  ;D 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike