Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Bison's Tales of Hobby Crafting  (Read 56251 times)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #30 on: September 19, 2021, 01:27:45 AM
Well I knocked out a batch of five Morannon  orcs this evening. I will need to go back and do a little touch up and maybe pick out a few more details. However, I have declared these orcs tabletop ready.

I will note the molds on several of the figures are not great. As in absolutely no facial detail not even little divets for eye sockets/mouth. And a good deal of the armor/cloth/leather sections were not easy to pick out. To be fair, I am tired so that may have much to do with it.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #31 on: September 19, 2021, 08:40:46 PM
Damn, Bison, those look really good. 

The armor/cloth/etc. looks okay to me, although admittedly it's easy to say that after the fact (when you've already painted them).  I can see where the facial details on the 1st and 4th figures might be a bit lacking, though I'm not sure I'd have noticed if you'd not pointed it out.  Still a very nice job overall; I envy your skill. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #32 on: September 20, 2021, 12:32:18 AM
Thanks Martok.

I painted 2 more this evening and only have 27 orcs left to go!

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #33 on: September 20, 2021, 02:46:02 AM
The pain of the horde armies -  guy at the club has 120 goblins to do  :-[

Looking good bison

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #34 on: September 20, 2021, 08:14:22 AM
The pain of the horde armies -  guy at the club has 120 goblins to do  :-[

My goal is simply to have them all look relatively similar. I noticed last night that my highlighting on the red cloth while using the same color pallet had changed slightly. The second batch had a stronger variation between the dark and light tones. Its not an issue but something I expected to occur as I get comfortable painting again.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #35 on: September 20, 2021, 09:05:27 AM
One of those ‘will never notice in the heat of battle’ things

I painted a figure last night for a customer, checked it over and over, took many pictures to send to him and never even noticed I hadnt painted the base

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #36 on: September 20, 2021, 09:34:07 AM
One of those ‘will never notice in the heat of battle’ things

I painted a figure last night for a customer, checked it over and over, took many pictures to send to him and never even noticed I hadnt painted the base

Definitely. It's frankly only really noticeable because of how focused I get painting. (Don't confuse focus with skill! :)) Crafting is my quiet alone time.

Anyway, I still need to do the bases and varnish. I have made a decision on the basing but will wait to reveal until I have some done and take some photos. The varnish will wait until I have a sizable number done and then I will break out the airbrush.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #37 on: September 21, 2021, 08:04:00 AM
22 orcs left...

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #38 on: September 21, 2021, 08:35:03 AM
 :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #39 on: September 21, 2021, 10:29:31 PM
My paint collection is exclusively Vallejo Game Color with a few Citadel washes. This is due in large measure to my family having gifted me a 72 paint set many Christmas' ago. Only a couple of the paints seem to have gone bad and I still need to try and salvage them. However, I am feeling the lure of trying Citadel Contrast and classic paint lines. I do not believe they are better paints but having never used any I want to experiment. I think I am going to pick up a white base paint  and a greenish contrast for the Army of the Dead.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #40 on: September 22, 2021, 03:38:00 AM
The coelia green shade is perfect for the dead

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #41 on: September 22, 2021, 08:01:19 AM
I experienced a Nuln Oil mishap last night. I accidently knocked the bottle over and dumped over 1/2 of it onto the table. Sadly, this is not the first time this has happened over the years. Fortunately it did not get on any models or the floor.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #42 on: September 22, 2021, 09:22:30 AM
It’s happened to us all - I find that kids medicine now comes with a needle less syringe - perfect for sucking it all back up again

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #43 on: September 23, 2021, 08:33:37 PM
Moar Nuln!

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #44 on: September 23, 2021, 08:46:28 PM
Ha! I have matured and use nuln oil very sparingly these days. Now Agrax Earthshade and Reikland Fleshshade on the other hand...