Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Napoleonic board game  (Read 4944 times)

judgedredd

on: January 03, 2023, 05:54:03 PM
Can anyone recommend a good Napoleonic era board game?

That's an era I do not have. I had thought about the Command and Colours series, but I'm not sure about blocks and I'm not sure how they play solo (as the blocks are designed to be facing away from your opponent).

I have found this
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/48071/bgg-top-25-napoleonic-wargames

Any others anyone would recommend?

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 06:07:54 PM
I very much like the 'Days of Glory' system from Vae Victis, but also, the Eagles of France games from Hexasim are very good.

https://www.hexasim.com/en/3530-Waterloo-1815-Fallen-Eagles-II.html

https://www.vaevictismag.fr/en/first-empire/191-3-days-of-glory-1805.html

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

judgedredd

Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 06:12:25 PM
I like the look and scale of 1815 Fallen Eagles I think. I was eyeing that on BGG

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 07:12:54 AM
The Eagles of France games all tend to be 2 maps, mind you, although there are usually smaller scenarios included, often with larger scale hex maps of a specific area on the reverse side of the main maps.

The Vae Victis games are all single mappers, usually printed both sides. I would also say that the Days of Glory system games are a little more complex.
The counter illustrations are excellent and add much to the period feel of the games.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 06:04:32 PM
Do you want solo?

The below games all do something different from each other (especially Legion of Honour, which is more of a sim of an individual Napoleonic soldier's life), but I love them all.

I, Napoleon (P500 game offered via GMT). Not out yet, but it "made the cut" with 947 orders so far. Still, I doubt this will see the light of day until after 2024 given their schedule.

Legion of Honour - a great, unusual game in that (as I mentioned) it sims the life of a Napoleonic era French soldier. You start as a low-ranking Sergeant or sous-lieutenant in 1792. Check out the link to the BGG page as it explains it better than I can.

Field Commander Napoleon - this is a bit pricey, but it's good. I enjoy the campaign aspects of their Field Commander series (Alexander and Rommel, both included in that statement).

N: The Napoleonic Wars - this one, I've yet to play yet. It's very strategic yet generalized but I like it as it's a White Dog Games product, and Stuka Joe has a couple of excellent videos on the game that sold me on getting it (and hopefully, getting it to my table).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 06:07:26 PM by BanzaiCat »

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #5 on: January 04, 2023, 07:40:26 PM
Sails of Glory

Flying Colors [sic]

GROGnadsUSA

Hoi as does anyone know if other 'Battles/Campaigns' WERE portrayed for/about during this-? You should hardly start to believe that "Kevin Zucker" had-! We will "suspect disbelief" WERE 'distended & suspended' as intended and pretended or yet another *thang*-!-?    :censored:

I like the look and scale of 1815 Fallen Eagles I think. I was eyeing that on BGG

judgedredd

Reply #7 on: January 05, 2023, 03:02:56 AM
Honestly, I don't really know much at all about the era and that kind of manifested itself in my very vague question.

Having looked about and on the basis of Bawb's mention, 1815:Fallen Eagle looks like along the lines of what I want.

So not a strategic game of Napoleon...a battle. On a similar scale to Battle Hymn - which kind of fits with 1815:Fallen Eagles. No naval (thanks though, SDR).

I have seen a video of 1815:Fallen Eagles and it didn't look quite there...I'd like to see something along that scale but that encourages the discipline I believe was entrenched in the units at the time for line combat...keeping rank etc.

Like I said, I don't really know much about the era. So far, 1815 is ahead by quite some margin though

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #8 on: January 05, 2023, 06:33:29 AM
The Eagles of France system is, IMHO, an easier system to learn and play solo, although as I mentioned, they do have a larger footprint. I've played 2 of the games, and enjoyed them.

The Days of Glory system has been around for something like 30 years with over 40 games published, many of them in magazines such as C3i and are no longer in print. They take a bit more to learn, but are very satisfying to play once you have mastered the nuances of the rules. The games also require less space to play than the EoF games.

So, its very much a matter of personal taste; both games have very good components, those of Hexasim being up to a very high standard. My only slight quibble with the EoF games is the use of NATO symbols which I always feel is a bit out of place for the period. But, that's just me.

You may like to read what Norm Smith says about the 2 systems;
http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/search/label/Hexasim
http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/search/label/Jours%20de%20Gloire

judgedredd

Reply #9 on: January 05, 2023, 06:56:06 AM
Thanks Bob. The Fallen Eagles game has a footprint that would fit my game space...so it's a valid option for me. The rules nuances of the Days of Glory games do tens to have me quiver a bit - I'm not overly good with rules at the moment. They're taking longer to learn than they should and even when I learn them, I'm thumbing through the manual for confirmation - particularly for nuances.

I'll read those articles after work

Ravensworth

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #10 on: January 05, 2023, 07:26:46 AM
I would recommend Last Eagles Quatre Bras 1815 as a great game with not too many counters as a starter to that series. I would then add Ligny and finally Waterloo.
Cheers,
Ravensworth

judgedredd

Reply #11 on: January 05, 2023, 10:42:39 AM
Done

Details of your order:
-------------
1 Waterloo 1815: Fallen Eagles II HEXA023-US 60€
1 Last Eagles - Quatre Bras HEXA019-US 57€
Shipping costs 11€

Thanks

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #12 on: January 05, 2023, 11:32:23 AM
 :bigthumb:

judgedredd

Reply #13 on: January 11, 2023, 07:22:22 AM
I do believe they have been delivered  ;D

LetsPlayHistory

• Trooper
  • Let's get serious about games!
    • Let's Play History
Reply #14 on: January 11, 2023, 09:27:17 AM
Nice, enjoy!

Solitaire wise, I'd second N: The Napoleonic Wars, Field Commander Napoleon (with the fan-made tactical mod), Legion of Honor (both solo and multiplayer for a deck driven role playing game), and add Rifles in the Peninsular (a skirmish level solo game), Napoleon at the Berezina (large tactical solitaire)

Then there is also Pitt's War, the extended version (starting 1792) of Napoleon against Europe and the Napoleonic 20 series (although a bit generic and abstract) for multiplayer.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 07:34:41 PM by LetsPlayHistory »

Meet me on LinkedIn, BlueSky, BoardGameGeek, YouTube and Twitch!

Et vive citoyen général Bonaparte!