Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Civilization 7  (Read 7754 times)

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #15 on: February 20, 2023, 03:08:11 PM
^To be honest I liked Civ V as well and actually just reinstalled it to try out the Imjin War scenario, but Civ VI just didn't click with me.

Always do what you feel is best.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #16 on: February 20, 2023, 03:31:31 PM
I have only played VI so I have nothing  civ-wise to compare it with.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 11:47:21 AM by bob48 »

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

W8taminute

• Jr Lancer
  • Put the glasses on
Reply #17 on: February 21, 2023, 10:59:54 AM
Of course with all due respect to those of you who still love and adore 6.

For me the zenith of the Civilization series was the third iteration. 

Once they made modding something only a PHD in computer science could do with 4 and 5 I lost a lot of interest.  Civ 6 is virtually impossible to mod the way I want it modded.  No WW2 or WW3 scenarios?  No Star Wars or Star Trek scenarios? 

Civ 3 was so easy to mod thus generating so many scenarios and total makeovers that it is still being worked on today. 

I'm sure Civ 7 will be a good game but I'm just apathetic.  Again I'm not raining on your parades, I just am speaking for myself.  Curious to hear what others are saying.  Why the strong love for 6?  I'm not asking to be a troublemaker.  I'm genuinely interested as I want to love the new game but am finding it hard to do so. 

Don't be afraid, don't be dismayed

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #18 on: February 22, 2023, 01:51:00 PM
^To be honest I liked Civ V as well and actually just reinstalled it to try out the Imjin War scenario, but Civ VI just didn't click with me.
For me it's the opposite. Can't get into CIV 5 but enjoyed CIV 6 even thought i think there's too much in it.

I am also still enjoying Civilization 3.

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #19 on: February 22, 2023, 02:01:08 PM

Once they made modding something only a PHD in computer science could do with 4 and 5 I lost a lot of interest.  Civ 6 is virtually impossible to mod the way I want it modded.  No WW2 or WW3 scenarios?  No Star Wars or Star Trek scenarios? 

Civ 3 was so easy to mod thus generating so many scenarios and total makeovers that it is still being worked on today. 

I'm sure Civ 7 will be a good game but I'm just apathetic.  Again I'm not raining on your parades, I just am speaking for myself.  Curious to hear what others are saying.  Why the strong love for 6?  I'm not asking to be a troublemaker.  I'm genuinely interested as I want to love the new game but am finding it hard to do so.

I don't have any particular love for Civ 6. I love them all and have played them all extensively.

And I've never been interested in modding the Civ games or any war-specific scenarios. If I want to play a game on WWII or WWIII, I'll go get a dedicated wargame. But with Civ, I like to start off with a spunky group of settlers on a black map and see how they explore and expand, and sometimes exploit and exterminate. That's what the Civ games are all about to me.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #20 on: February 22, 2023, 03:14:18 PM

I don't have any particular love for Civ 6. I love them all and have played them all extensively.

And I've never been interested in modding the Civ games or any war-specific scenarios. If I want to play a game on WWII or WWIII, I'll go get a dedicated wargame. But with Civ, I like to start off with a spunky group of settlers on a black map and see how they explore and expand, and sometimes exploit and exterminate. That's what the Civ games are all about to me.

Been thinking on a reply for a day but this is perfect

Exactly my sentiments

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #21 on: February 22, 2023, 05:48:51 PM

Been thinking on a reply for a day but this is perfect

Exactly my sentiments

+2

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

W8taminute

• Jr Lancer
  • Put the glasses on
Reply #22 on: February 22, 2023, 09:04:16 PM
Good responses guys.  Yeah I do admit I tend to look for WW2 in all the games I play.  Maybe that's why I couldn't get attached to Civ 6.  It is still on my hard drive and will likely stay there.  I've been a Civ fan since the first game came out on Nintendo NES.   :)

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #23 on: February 23, 2023, 07:43:46 AM
IIRC I played Civ II on the original PlayStation back in 1998.

Metaldog

• Sergeant
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #24 on: February 23, 2023, 09:04:14 AM
The first Civ I played was on the Playstation.  _CasH used to get you 10,000 Gold and you could BUY World Wonders!  I've played all the iterations except V.  For those who don't know, I literally have tens of thousands of hours on IV.  Still sucked at it after all that time.  Held off on VI, because I didn't want one unit per hex.  A kind soul on these boards gifted me VI early last year and I haven't looked back.  I could elaborate on why it's my favorite game in the series so far, but, suffice it to say, there is one overriding reason why: you can win VI.  In any number of ways.  And I have :)

Lots of maps is a good thing - Panzerde

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #25 on: February 23, 2023, 10:01:59 AM
I started on Civ (before it was "Civ I") in the early 90s (93?) on a B&W Mac Powerbook 145B

Civ 2 for a LOT of years between a Powerbook 520c and an old lime iMac (one of the original eggshell ones)

Civ 3 once I got a Mac iBook, for about 10 years, including a lot of time in the office while sitting on 90-minute DoD conference calls where we had about 10 minutes of speaking time and a lot of boredom time (played Civ 3 across 4 different laptops).  Beat it on every level of difficulty, and beat it with at least every available civ I had at least once.  Easily over 5000 hours, but maybe not quite 10000.

Had IV on a 2 different computers. Hated it.  Couldn't stand it.  Got about 10-15 hours into it and it never clicked.

Civ V?  Yeah, I've got a few hours.  Certainly over 5000 hours, maybe close to 10000 and not even kidding.  Beat it on every level of difficulty at least once, and have every kind of victory multiple times.  Played every available civ in the game, won with a lot of them, and added a dozen (or more) add'l civs thru mods and won with most of them, too.

Been playing 6 for over a year now, since I got a laptop powerful enough to run it, and finally getting reasonably competent at it, with a handful of victories of different kinds on different difficulties.  Nubia AAR running now

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #26 on: February 23, 2023, 10:29:29 AM
Two was my first foray and stayed on the hard drive long past 3 and 4 - it was that game that you felt intimately comfortable with, knew all its foibles and strangely is the one game I knew nothing about until I sat down one day and just played it thru - pyramids were a granary in each town, Great Wall was a wall in every town - always the first 2 wonders and I worked it all out for myself - no online tips no magazine walkthrough and still to this day I look for a similar experience

My wife at the time who was a nurse and I bought a little trophy from an antiques fair and we used to have massive individual civ sessions for the cup - literally shut the door to the games room and I’ll be out in 3 days - she needed it to get away from the crap at work - we understood each other enough that I wouldn’t knock on the door or interrupt until she came down and she’d show me the new high score - a month or two later it was my turn - we were too ocd enough not to use classic civ civs to start - romans, Greeks, Egyptians none of this USA start in 4000bc for us

Since then I’ve always had a civ on the hard drive but it’s usually one playthrough to victory and that’s it - so 3-6 propbably has 30 hours each - having never invested the time into 3-6 like 2 I’m unaware of the nuances of each edition to sit here and bemoan the oooooohhhhh 4 was this and 3 was so much this but 5 did this - I’ve played all of them exactly the same way and got what I needed from the game

I think Brants civ is my CK but this thread has made me question my hands off treatment of civ and I may go back after my current ck game

W8taminute

• Jr Lancer
  • Put the glasses on
Reply #27 on: February 23, 2023, 10:33:49 AM
Well this certainly is a treasure trove of civilization testimonies that would put even the most seasoned veterans over at CivFanatics (which I hold in high esteem) to shame.  Well done gentlemen!

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #28 on: February 23, 2023, 12:57:07 PM
It’s those USA starts in 4000 BC or phalanxes vs. tanks that I never liked. But I would like to see ‘Dawg score a weed victory in Civ IV.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #29 on: February 23, 2023, 01:44:03 PM
I've been in on the Civ series since the first one, which I played on a Commodore PC with a 256-shade B&W monitor. ;D

I remember with Civ II, I had a PC but it wouldn't run it, so I bought an 8MB memory expansion, which did the trick.

Civ III and IV I did enjoy very much, but when V came out, it blew IV out of the water for me. I couldn't go back and put a lot of hours into V.

Civ VI doesn't click with me at all. In fact I suck at it. Every other Civ iteration had a learning curve that was pretty shallow, but VI, I can put the difficulty on the easiest setting and I still get outpaced easily by the AI. And yes, I've studied the strategies and zone placements and everything, but I still can't eke out a win, and that makes it uber-frustrating to the point where I just don't want to mess with it anymore.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)