Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Road to the Rhine (GDW)  (Read 4465 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
on: March 08, 2023, 06:04:29 AM
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4121/road-rhine

Curious to know if anyone else played this Frank Chadwick game from back in the 1970's? It one of the few games that I would set-up and play again several times in a row as it was that good. Its a good 'old style' operational level games, simple to learn and easy to play that still managed to capture the flavour of the campaign.

Supply rules and the use of air-power and reserves in particular were very well done and did not bog the game down in any way. By todays standards, the 2 maps and 1/2" counters are rather drab, but were pretty typical  for that period.

Its one of those really good GDW games that I would love to see being 're-done' by someone, but with out massive rule changes, which often happens with re-published games, and then not always making the game any better than the original. Incorporate any errata and improve the graphics and that would be enough.

The nearest game to it that I can see appears to be 'Watch on the Rhine' by CTP in terms of scale, but I'm not able to get a copy to find out!

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 12:27:30 PM
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4121/road-rhine
Its one of those really good GDW games that I would love to see being 're-done' by someone, but with out massive rule changes, which often happens with re-published games, and then not always making the game any better than the original. Incorporate any errata and improve the graphics and that would be enough.

According to the forum, Compass Games remake of Road to the Rhine might happen. Last post is from June of 2022. Checking the Compass website, I don't see anything yet.

Do you know if this game system was use for any other operational games?

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #2 on: March 08, 2023, 12:35:19 PM
That's interesting. Actually, now that you mention it, I seem to recall reading that Compass did intend to do a Korean War game using that system, (and indeed may have done so - I've not been on their site for a while) although I don't think that GDW ever did any other games using that system.

GROGnadsUSA

Reply #3 on: April 13, 2023, 07:41:27 PM
Perhaps, some parts from this may have been used with that-? ""Citadel""<--'click' there'

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #4 on: April 14, 2023, 06:13:20 AM
https://www.armchairdragoons.com/forum/index.php?topic=4867.0

The games are of totally different scales and systems. RttR is Operational Level, and Citadel is upper tactical level with mainly (if I recall) company size units.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 06:15:52 AM by bob48 »