Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: This Day in History  (Read 215824 times)

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #735 on: April 30, 2023, 04:47:19 PM
A rough day for families.
On this day in 535 Queen Amalasuntha of the Goths was strangled on orders from her husband, King Theodahad, who assumed the throne alone.
In 1945, newlyweds Eva Braun and Adolf Hitler committed suicide.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #736 on: May 01, 2023, 09:25:07 AM
On this day in 1862, admiral David Farragut captured New Orleans, the south's largest port.
In 1898 The captain of the protected cruiser Olympia was told, "You may fire when you are ready, Mr. Gridley."

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #737 on: May 03, 2023, 11:11:47 AM
In 1844, the anti catholic, anti immigrant, "Know Nothings" riot in Philadelphia.  Many are killed or wounded and numerous churches are burned.
In 1938, German fuhrer Adolph Hitler arrives by train in Rome.  Here to confer with Mussolini and to view the art and architecture of the Eternal City.  The Vatican is "closed for maintenance."

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #738 on: May 04, 2023, 01:54:39 PM
On this day in 1527, 147 Swiss Guards cover the withdrawal of the pope during the Sack of Rome.
In 1626, Peter MInuet buys Manhattan from the Lenapes indians, who didn't really own it, for a lot more than $24 of trade goods.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #739 on: May 05, 2023, 09:46:42 AM
On this day in 1822, celebrated soldier Sir Harry Paget Flash man VC was born.
An amazing adventurer, he survived the disastrous retreat from Kabul, Afghanistan.  Charged with the Light Brigade in the Crimea, survived an assassination attempt by Bismarck's  agents,  survived the Custer massacre at Little Big Horn, just missed Isandawahla, and was a favorite of Queen Victoria, though Albert never warmed to him.
As an observer and n the American Civil War, Robert E Lee trusted him.  Ulysses Grant was noticeably uncomfortable with his presence due, one supposes, to his participation in so many disasters.
Bluff old Flash Harry died in 1915.

"When in doubt, call for Flashman." - A. Lincoln.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #740 on: May 05, 2023, 10:14:48 AM
Happy Birthday Sir Henry.  :party:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #741 on: May 08, 2023, 10:34:16 AM
In 1943, battleship Yam a to sails from Truk.  Her first movement since anchoring April 29, 1942.

In 1887, Alexander Illich Ulyanov was hanged for attempting to kill the tsar. His brother was Vladimir Illich Ulyanov, better known by his nom de plume, Lenin.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #742 on: May 10, 2023, 07:45:52 AM
On this day in 1940, the Luftwaffe be MBA Freiburg, Germany.  Goebbels blames the english.
In 1972, Randy "Duke" Cunningham and Willie "Irish" Driscoll shoot down their third, fourth, and fifth Migs before being hit by an SA2 Guideline missile.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #743 on: May 11, 2023, 09:10:49 AM
On this day in 1849, lieutenants W S Hancock and Harry Beth play cards with Major General Winfield Scott.  Tactfully, they lose.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CNZ8n1ovcbw&t=13s&pp=ygUXdG9tIGNvcmJldHQgc3BhY2UgY2FkZXQ%3D

Frankie Thomas, actor in a very early TV show based on Robert Heinlein is "juvenile" books, dies at 85, in 2006.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #744 on: May 12, 2023, 11:06:57 AM
On this hay in 1796, the Most Serene Republic of Venice was assassinated by General Bonaparte.

On this day in 1943, Max Brand (Frederich Schiller Faust) western author and war correspondent was killed in action near Itri n southern Italy.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #745 on: May 13, 2023, 09:36:38 AM
On this day in 1943, Axis forces in Tunisia surrendered.  This ended the lengthy African campaign.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #746 on: May 14, 2023, 09:35:59 AM
https://brookstonbeerbulletin.com/want-beer-parade/amp/

Today in 1932, 100,000 New Yorkers marched down Fifth Avenue in the "We want beer" demonstration.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #747 on: May 14, 2023, 10:07:25 AM
I march around every day at 5pm in a "I want whiskey" demonstration.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #748 on: May 14, 2023, 02:23:33 PM
Hopefully you don't need to march very far.  ;) 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #749 on: May 15, 2023, 08:50:02 AM
In 1479 BC, pharoah That lose III wins the battle of Megiddo.

In 1638, New York city has it's first murder.  Gerrit Jansen is stabbed by Jan Gysbertsen  near Fort Amsterdam.