Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Consolidated Games-on-Sale Thread  (Read 137187 times)

Arctic Blast

• Jr Lancer
Reply #150 on: April 21, 2020, 08:44:34 PM
A new XCOM game called Chimera Squad releases in ten days

Chimera Squad will be an all-new standalone game set five years after XCOM 2, and will be available as a digital-only Steam release on April 24. For its first week of sale you can get it for only $9.99 (£8.50) as part of a big XCOM celebration, but from May 1 it goes up to its usual retail price of $19.99 (£16.99).

Yep, I'm in on that. Kind of reminds me of XCom : Apocalypse, which had some great ideas but was a pretty lackluster game overall.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #151 on: April 24, 2020, 10:58:27 AM
Just saw a post on Reddit that says Total War: Shogun 2 will be free on Steam next week.

https://www.vg247.com/2020/04/24/total-war-shogun-2-free-keep-next-week-steam/

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #152 on: April 24, 2020, 11:00:09 AM
I already have it, and its a great game - worth grabbing if you don't already own it.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #153 on: April 24, 2020, 11:17:21 AM
Agreed. Maybe the best AI battle opponent of the whole TW bunch and a damned-good campaign too. Fall of the Samurai is also great!

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #154 on: April 24, 2020, 11:21:02 AM
Looks at Steam library, discovers it's already in there.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #155 on: April 24, 2020, 11:24:59 AM
Heh, don't feel bad. I have both the Total War Empire Definitive Edition and the Total War Napoleon Definitive Edition. The former I apparently played for 104 minutes, the last time back in 2012; the latter, I've never played. :(

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #156 on: April 24, 2020, 11:33:53 AM
Heh, don't feel bad. I have both the Total War Empire Definitive Edition and the Total War Napoleon Definitive Edition. The former I apparently played for 104 minutes, the last time back in 2012; the latter, I've never played. :(

In their time, they were good fun. Now they seem to have aged quite a bit compared to the new offerings. Wish they would put out a new engine gunpowder game.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #157 on: April 24, 2020, 12:31:49 PM
My hopes are still with AGEOD. With the success of Field of Glory: Empires I'm hoping there will eventually be a gunpowder age version. Of course, that means Fields of Glory also needs to have a gunpowder age version.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Adam

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
Reply #158 on: April 24, 2020, 12:54:09 PM
Agreed. Maybe the best AI battle opponent of the whole TW bunch and a damned-good campaign too. Fall of the Samurai is also great!

Good to know.  I gave up after 5 hours or so on E:TW (last in the series I played) due to terrible battle AI.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #159 on: April 24, 2020, 12:59:43 PM
It was bad, but still fun. I remember the first time Mohawk Indians attacked my troops and them marching in lock-step with their tomahawks raised in the air, I laughed my ass-off.  :ROFL:  The American Revolution Mod makes it a little better. Shogun 2's Realm Divide on the other hand, kicked my butt back to Kansas! I learned quick, go slower.  :doh:

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #160 on: April 24, 2020, 01:23:17 PM
I think I have more playing time on 'Fall of the Samurai' than any of the other TW games,

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #161 on: April 24, 2020, 06:59:20 PM
Just saw a post on Reddit that says Total War: Shogun 2 will be free on Steam next week.

https://www.vg247.com/2020/04/24/total-war-shogun-2-free-keep-next-week-steam/

Saw that.  Very cool!  If I didn't already own the game, I would definitely pick it up now. 

...I admit I never have played Shogun 2 as much as I should have.  (I think I was afraid it couldn't hold a candle to the original for some reason.)  :-[ 

In their time, they were good fun. Now they seem to have aged quite a bit compared to the new offerings. Wish they would put out a new engine gunpowder game.

I strongly dispute that Empire was ever "fun".  Still the worst game in the TW franchise by far (aside from Rome 1, but that's my personal opinion).  :vomit: 

I don't own Napoleon, but my impression is it was a much better product (and in many ways, a direct response to the deserved criticisms Empire received). 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #162 on: April 24, 2020, 11:25:35 PM
Empire was fun compared to getting my ass handed to me the way Shogun 2 did. That wasn't fun. That was, 'shamefurl'. I liked the Global Economy thing and the Naval Battles were gorgeous in ETW. Plus it had the Marathas, who doesn't love them?  :D What other TW game have you ever been able to play an Indian Faction? And it had the other Indians too. And.... Prussians! The Custom Battles were worth the price by itself. I loved squishing Prussians with my Maratha elephants. Good fun.  :biggrin:

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #163 on: April 25, 2020, 08:27:14 PM
Empire was fun compared to getting my ass handed to me the way Shogun 2 did. That wasn't fun. That was, 'shamefurl'. I liked the Global Economy thing and the Naval Battles were gorgeous in ETW. Plus it had the Marathas, who doesn't love them?  :D What other TW game have you ever been able to play an Indian Faction? And it had the other Indians too. And.... Prussians! The Custom Battles were worth the price by itself. I loved squishing Prussians with my Maratha elephants. Good fun.  :biggrin:

Well if Maratha was part of Empire's appeal for you, then I guess I understand.  :) 

I confess that when it comes to strategy games, the sub-continent has typically held little appeal for me.  I also felt Maratha was shoe-horned into the game as a blatant attempt to pander to Indian customers, similar to how the American Revolution tutorial/campaign was added to pander to us Yanks (both of which annoyed me greatly). 

I also found the game "unplayable" due to how absolutely horrendous the AI was, both on the battlefield and on the campaign map.  To have musket troops constantly charge my lines (instead of, you know, actually fire their weapons at range) or have a faction suddenly backstab me after my being a loyal ally for 50+ years...it just really broke immersion for me.  :( 

I did enjoy the naval battles, however; that was one of the main reasons I'd so looked forward to Empire coming out.  And yes, you can't really go wrong with Prussia.  ;) 

...I truly hope CA makes a sequel for Empire.  They just need do it properly this time around. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #164 on: April 25, 2020, 11:46:40 PM
Totally agree there Martok. I love the period. So, how could you possibly screw it up? With an AI dumb as one of those cannon balls I shot at the Indians.  :hehe: