Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Air Boardgame Recommendations  (Read 3914 times)

judgedredd

on: February 23, 2021, 01:06:34 PM
As per the title...any recommendations on air focused boardgames?

A  caveat is the map size needs to be no more than 44x34 and solo friendly.

I've got Phantom Leader and love it and I didn't like QotS much. I'm looking for something on the Korean or Vietnam front or maybe middle east (Israel or Iraq perhaps)

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 01:25:15 PM
If you liked Phantom Leader, you'd probably like IAF Leader and/or Hornet Leader. IAF Leader has a wide range of campaigns from '48 through '20 or so, so you can fly prop planes through advanced jets. Corsair Leader is good also, and they have an upcoming Zero Leader, too. Maybe also look at B-17 Flying Fortress Leader.

I do like Interceptor Ace and Nightfighter Ace, but can't recall if you have those or not. Nightfighter Ace, FWIW, has a smaller footprint than IA.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

judgedredd

Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 01:31:56 PM
If you liked Phantom Leader, you'd probably like IAF Leader and/or Hornet Leader. IAF Leader has a wide range of campaigns from '48 through '20 or so, so you can fly prop planes through advanced jets. Corsair Leader is good also, and they have an upcoming Zero Leader, too. Maybe also look at B-17 Flying Fortress Leader.

I do like Interceptor Ace and Nightfighter Ace, but can't recall if you have those or not. Nightfighter Ace, FWIW, has a smaller footprint than IA.

Thanks BC

I sold IAF and Hornet Leader. I liked them - but they were too similar to Phantom Leader and that was my favourite era.

I have come across both IA and NA - and read your AAR on (whichever one it was). They do look interesting but I was a bit scared they'd be like QotS. I might have been really unfair to QotS...I did "upgrade" to Target for Today and honestly, I found that worse. The rules seemed more complicated (or at least more) and there seemed to be even more dice rolling.

Yeah - I won't write off IA or NA at the moment. I might watch some vids - see what they're like. I am enjoying The Hunters - alot - which is kind of story driven and geared on dice rolling - so not too dissimilar to QotS or TfT.

I was thinking something counter based. I saw Downtown Air War Over Vietnam - and that interests me, but does look rather big and the counters look small.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 02:45:28 PM
I really like the Wing Leader series from GMT. Great for solo play, looks great, smallish foot print. Different approach by being side on view of battle space. Easy to learn, scenarios are setup so you learn a little bit more each one you play.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 03:21:58 PM
Barth, I think you did a multi-player AAR with Wing Leader over at The Other SiteTM, no? I picked up Wing Leader just because of that (now ask me if I got it to the table, LOL).

I was going to recommend Downtown as I'd heard great things about it, but didn't as I've never owned it.

I think Red Storm looks damned appealing too, but it's on the heavier side and I think it has only a handful of solo missions; I believe at heart it's supposed to be a 2-player game.

I have come across both IA and NA - and read your AAR on (whichever one it was). They do look interesting but I was a bit scared they'd be like QotS. I might have been really unfair to QotS...I did "upgrade" to Target for Today and honestly, I found that worse. The rules seemed more complicated (or at least more) and there seemed to be even more dice rolling.

Yeah - I won't write off IA or NA at the moment. I might watch some vids - see what they're like. I am enjoying The Hunters - alot - which is kind of story driven and geared on dice rolling - so not too dissimilar to QotS or TfT.

The long AAR I did last year or so was Nightfighter Ace, yep. I like Interceptor Ace because there's more dogfighting to it, but yes, you're still rolling on tables more or less.

A Wing and a Prayer (LnL) is pretty good. You control a squadron of B-17s in that one.

They do look interesting but I was a bit scared they'd be like QotS. I might have been really unfair to QotS...I did "upgrade" to Target for Today and honestly, I found that worse. The rules seemed more complicated (or at least more) and there seemed to be even more dice rolling.

I played the absolute crap out of QotS back in the day, mainly because there were so few solo games. Even if it was technically on rails, it was still pretty awesome. Fast forwarding to a few years ago, I tried it again...I even, like you, bought Target For Today...and it just didn't do it for me. I became quite obstinate in my dislike of 'on rail' games, but then at some point had an epiphany that had me looking at those games as narrative generators, and not as games where you don't make many decisions. It made me realize there's more than one way to look at a game.

I wouldn't buy TfT again, though. Besides being ridiculously expensive, I just don't have bandwidth for it. Something like IA or NA are great for me, as is Amerika Bomber.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 03:27:20 PM
Barth, I think you did a multi-player AAR with Wing Leader over at The Other SiteTM, no? I picked up Wing Leader just because of that (now ask me if I got it to the table, LOL).

Yes, SDR and I did that.  :bigthumb:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

judgedredd

Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 05:44:51 PM
I bought Interceptor Ace. BC gave it a good write up and it looked very interesting. I'm having fun with The Hunters so I hope this "narrative" type game will stick. If it doesn't work out, I can always sell on.

I think I'll ask my wife to buy me Wing Leader for my birthday as that was considerably cheaper than Interceptor Ace.

thanks

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 08:16:18 PM
Good for you. I think you'll like it.

Be sure to check the BGG page for errata, and any questions. The designer, Greg Smith, is fast to answer questions on his games, there.

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 11:04:05 AM
I really like the Wing Leader series from GMT. Great for solo play, looks great, smallish foot print. Different approach by being side on view of battle space. Easy to learn, scenarios are setup so you learn a little bit more each one you play.

I second this. The Wing Leader series is fun, a unique take on air combat, and solos well.

judgedredd

Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 05:55:10 AM
Yay  :whistle:

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 02:42:05 PM
 :bigthumb:

It might be a bit quirky on the rules. I did help them proof it but they were pretty set on the structure at the time. Like I said, check out BGG if you have questions and if you can't find an answer, drop a note here and we'll see about sorting it out.