Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: FOCUS ON........................GMT's '194X' Series.  (Read 6742 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Designed by Mark Simonitch, there are now quite a few titles in the series with several re-prints plus some mounted maps.

All the games use a common core system, and are generally of the battalion / regimental scale. The map designs and counters graphics are, I think, very well done, with tthe map for 'Normandy '44' being a favourite of mine.

The list so far is as follows (correct me if I'm wrong) and in no particular order;

Normandy '44
Ardennes '44
France '40
Holland '44
Salerno '43
Stalingrad '42
Stalingrad Expansion
Ukraine '43
North Africa '41 which is a new addition and one that I will be keeping an eye on.

I can't admit to playing all of them, but the ones I have played I have found to be great games and very enjoyable, Normandy '44 being top my my list.

I'm sure many of you have some of these, so lets hear your thoughts.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 04:24:51 PM
I have Stalingrad '42 and Holland '44 both, but haven't played either, yet. Stalingrad is just too big for my current table, and Holland '44, I've not gotten to yet. :(

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 04:33:08 PM
I have played 'Holland '44' and that is a good game, with the additional benefit that, like 'Normandy '44', its a one mapper!

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 04:35:01 PM
I've heard nothing but good things about them, but never played one.  Maybe I'll try to chisel out some time this summer

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 04:38:10 PM
I do have The Dark Summer on the way. I haven't quite gotten around to Normandy '44 yet. With TDS and France 1944 already on my shelf, I'll need to see how these others play first.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #5 on: April 06, 2022, 07:28:41 PM
I have Holland 44 and actually played it. Good game and not too difficult to get into. Map and counters are nice a readable too.
I really should get a copy of Normandy 44 as that’s probably my favourite battle to game.
France 40 looks interesting too.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #6 on: April 06, 2022, 08:00:43 PM
I have and have played Holland 44 and Ardennes 44. (Both only played solo) And I now have Salerno '43 which I hope to get to the table soon.

I've really enjoy the process of learning and playing these games. I think the rule books are well laid out with great examples of play. And the rules themselves are fairly straightforward especially since you are just following a sequence of play. Beyond the special scenario/game specific rules once you are comfortable with it I've found I can play the game using just the player aid. The fun has really been in the decision making and how far and fast to push attacks on offense or how much ground to give on defense.

I'm a big fan of the map art and the counters are easy to read and I appreciate the little details that remind you in a specific unit has a special rule associated to it. I think my next purchase in the series will probably be Normandy 44.

judgedredd

Reply #7 on: April 07, 2022, 01:38:50 AM
I have Normandy '44, Holland '44, Salerno '43, Ardennes '44 and France '40.

The only one I've played was Holland '44 and believe it or not, I think I got half a turn in or something (just the Allied phase) before I had to pack it up and that half turn was enough for me to be a fan of the series.

I concur with everything thecommandtent said.

Ardennes '44 for me had the addition of the very exciting element of Aireborne forces behind enemy lines holding on. Any game that has that - computer or board - has my full attention...so I'm sceptical whether I'm going to fall into the other games as easily (Normandy excepted as it has a similar mechanic).

I would've loved Stalingrad but the map is too big and I did look Ukraine '43 it once and couldn't find it.

judgedredd

Reply #8 on: April 07, 2022, 04:12:13 AM
I do remember one thing I didn't like about the game....the fractions for movement on roads. Even in my brief play, I found it awkward at times. But it was a small pain.

Also - I must've played more than 1/2 a turn because I remember moving up Hell's Highway and also the Germans deploying the traffic queue counters.

Excellent game - regardless of what I felt about the road movement calculations

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #9 on: April 07, 2022, 06:16:39 AM
so it's known as a "ZOC-bond" system....   who wants to take a sec and explain that schtick to everyone? :)

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #10 on: April 07, 2022, 07:24:57 AM

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #11 on: April 07, 2022, 09:01:18 AM
To me, the 194X games are pretty straightforward, old-school games with just the right amount of chrome to match each game's setting.

Other than the ZOC-bond  and armor rules, these games are throwbacks to old AH or SPI games with IGO-UGO move-attack sequence of play. Combat is fairly simple on a basic CRT.

The ZOC-bond rules allow low-unit-density areas to still form a solid frontline of forces. The armor rules give a one-column shift to an attacker with armor, but only if the armor is rated "better" than the defender's armor (using a superscript on the attack value to identify the armor rating).

While I love many of the new and innovative wargame designs, this series allows an experienced wargamer to dive right into just about any game in the series. These games are familiar and comfortable--and do a very good job at capturing the many different campaigns they represent.

judgedredd

Reply #12 on: April 07, 2022, 09:52:42 AM
I don't recall finding the ZOC Bond rule a problem...but actually I do recall what counted as vehicles, mechanised and armour etc a tad confusing

I constantly had to check the table.

Well thanks for this Bob...it's made my mind up what game is going to my table next. It was between Holland 44 and Fields of Fire

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #13 on: April 07, 2022, 10:04:12 AM
 :bigthumb:

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #14 on: April 07, 2022, 10:05:55 AM
I don't recall finding the ZOC Bond rule a problem...but actually I do recall what counted as vehicles, mechanised and armour etc a tad confusing

Agreed they can be a bit confusing especially when making sure I don't stack to many in a hex, but its a minor quibble.

Also, I forgot to mention that I have the Holland '44 Northern Scenario expansion that was in C3i magazine #32 that just uses the Northern Map. I haven't played it yet but it looks interesting and has a very small footprint given you only use the smaller of the two maps. Plus it focuses on the 82nd and 1st Airborne landings and holding until 30 Corps appears on the map. JD I think you would like that scenario.