Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Developing Technologies  (Read 3834 times)

besilarius

• Corporal
on: June 02, 2020, 08:28:11 AM
https://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htart/20200602.aspx

The technology of war is changing.  This article asks if large scale use of tanks is a thing of the past.
There will always be opportunities where armored vehicles are the best answer, but in "near peer"war ware new developments making large concentrations of tanks too vulnerable?

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 05:25:12 PM

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 08:46:50 AM

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 09:08:34 AM
https://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htada/20200720.aspx

New laser development and testing.
Can phasers be far away?

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 09:36:49 AM
Can phasers be far away?

Actually, yes. Phase-pistols were used until around 2160. It wasn't until after then that phasers were introduced.  :P

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 11:02:37 AM
https://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htada/20200720.aspx

New laser development and testing.
Can phasers be far away?

I'm on a review right now for one of these systems.

I started my career on high-energy chemical lasers back when Reagan was president.  Fiber lasers are a step forward since then, but there is a lot of dirty engineering that still needs to get done, and a lot of operational details that need to be taken into account. 

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 11:37:00 AM
I'm on a review right now for one of these systems.

so, uh....   any related stock tips you wanna share?   :whistle:

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love