Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Saturday Night Fights -- "The Battle of Aspern-Essling" -- Day One (Part One)  (Read 9089 times)

Cyrano

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Didn't have a proper chance to announce it, but MAN did this one go well.

First, we crested 30 total viewers (yeah, I know) and 13 simultaneous (yeah, I know).

Second, we had a really good group gather to kibbutz.

Third, "Blucher" is a great set of Napoleonic rules.  It has fairly rapidly passed it's predecessor in my library "Volley and Bayonet".  Makes sense, quite simple, and the results feel right.

Fourth:  The chaps from the Old Meldrum Wargame Group that created the scenario, the map, and the awesome briefing books saw what we were up to and were quite pleased with it.

Made it through 12 turns of a projected 18 for day ONE.  Boney is in some real trouble, but, as the play period ended, I finally managed to role for the arrival of his desperately-needed reinforcements!

Doug and I will be back at this very, very soon...

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

Cyrano

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Doug and I will be back at it come 1900 CDT Saturday.

I've already got the Battle of Thann set done, but I'd like all y'all to think about what MP "Blucher" scenario we could try.

And, yes, I'm thinking Leipzig.  And did I mention the designer of these scenarios is interested in a live-streamed trans-Atlantic challenge?  This means we'd have to adjust timing, of course, but Bawb's definitely IN :D.

BANG ON!

Cyrano

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Keeping here a list of things Doug and I were either puzzled about or got wrong.  Overall, let me say, I think we did very well.

*Units moving "simple" may only pivot once and that's at the start of their move.  Thereafter, they must move in a straight line.  I was guilty of erring in this.

*Units moving "difficult" may pivot at the end of their movement.or at the beginning, but not both.  Again, I believe I see myself as the bigger sinner here.

*Cavalry charge moves may not touch urban areas or woods, even if they clear them before the end of the move. (p. 41 near bottom)  The gap into which our cavalry melee'd was just wide enough, I think!

*Roads only benefit units making reserve moves.

*This is the biggie, and I got it from Ross himself:  The way he designs his scenarios, unless he specifically says the side getting the reinforcements has to roll for them, it does not have to roll for them.  He pointed out that a couple of his scenarios explicitly reference the reinforcement rule provision.  Therefore, the French did not have to wait for the II Corps dice roll.  There's no good way to unring that bell, probably leaving me to bring on those boys as part of the turn on which we wrapped the scenario.  I had used none of the MO dice so should have more than enough to get a good reserve move in.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
*This is the biggie, and I got it from Ross himself:  The way he designs his scenarios, unless he specifically says the side getting the reinforcements has to roll for them, it does not have to roll for them.  He pointed out that a couple of his scenarios explicitly reference the reinforcement rule provision.  Therefore, the French did not have to wait for the II Corps dice roll.  There's no good way to unring that bell, probably leaving me to bring on those boys as part of the turn on which we wrapped the scenario.  I had used none of the MO dice so should have more than enough to get a good reserve move in.

Yeah, that's a biggie. Having them roll made sense to me, since it simulated the issue with the bridge. I'm guessing it's actually the reinforcement timing that's supposed to simulate that. Historically IIe Corps did arrive fairly early on the first day.

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Capn Darwin

• Trooper
  • Rocket Scientist and Game Designer
I would expect those participating in the trans-atlantic challenge to be properly attired in big hats and shiny  buttons...  :nerd: :bigthumb:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 01:29:41 PM by Capn Darwin »

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Cyrano

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
I would expect those participating in the trans-atlantic challenge to be properly attired in big hats and shiney buttons...  :nerd: :bigthumb:

This can be arranged.

Given Ross' experience on Saturday, I'm a bit more concerned about their internet connections.

JasonPratt

• Lancer
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
Hey, Cyrano! -- this would apply more to the Modern War category of course, but this year is the 75th anniversary of a bunch of important West Front WW2 battles. (...and East Front I guess. And maybe Italy... ;) )

Would you like to look into doing SNFs along those lines throughout the year?

Cyrano

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Hey, Cyrano! -- this would apply more to the Modern War category of course, but this year is the 75th anniversary of a bunch of important West Front WW2 battles. (...and East Front I guess. And maybe Italy... ;) )

Would you like to look into doing SNFs along those lines throughout the year?

Ooooh...an EF "What a Tanker!" perhaps.  Maybe I can get Cap'n Darwin to roll out a KV-1?  Call it "Prokhorovka Punch-Out"

I've got a "CoC" table built for Western Front, but I did love the "WaT!" free-for-all.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
I'm in! :D

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

JasonPratt

• Lancer
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
That would be great! -- I've never played the CoC system yet, and I missed getting to play WaT!

...wait, I may be thinking of Command and Colors, which has some WW1 modules. What's CoC? (I probably haven't played that yet either, or not for WW2 anyway.)

Cyrano

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
CoC is “Chain of Command”, the Lardies’ answer to “Bolt Action”.  Many similarities to “SP2”.  There’s even an animated set of WWII minis out there.  Honestly kind of creepy...

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
CoC is “Chain of Command”, the Lardies’ answer to “Bolt Action”.  Many similarities to “SP2”.  There’s even an animated set of WWII minis out there.  Honestly kind of creepy...

sounds kind of like the Star Wars chess game :)

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Cyrano

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler

sounds kind of like the Star Wars chess game :)

More khaki, feldgrau, and shoot-y but, yeah...

Cyrano

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
And today is Aspern-Essling Day!

OK, days.  Today, 110 years ago, was the first day of the battle.

Lannes' really, really, no-good, bad day is scheduled for tomorrow.