Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Naval wargaming  (Read 7231 times)

judgedredd

on: January 25, 2020, 12:55:28 PM
Right. I've got it in my head that I would like a naval game. Preferably with carriers. Doesn't really matter if it's WWII or modern.

You all know the score. Chits. Decent graphical chits and maps (so kinda modern). Solo.

Thanks

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 02:34:09 PM
First thing I thought of was Fleet Commander Nimitz from DVG but it';s out of stock right now. You might be able to find it at a reseller. There's a VASSAL mod that DVG sells also, which I think is stand-alone (no physical copy needed). B_C has played it and done an AAR, IIRC.

https://www.mcssl.com/store/danverssengames/vassal/pdf-games/1-players/fleet-commander-nimitz

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 05:25:06 PM
I’m really enjoying Coral Sea from Avalanche Press.  Carrier combat is fun and I like the fact that your spotter planes can send back incorrect sighting reports.  Solo rules available on BGG.

I also really like Fires of Midway.  Lighter card driven game but surprisingly good.  It’s got solo rules. 

judgedredd

Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 05:45:04 PM
Thanks Stagger and SDR. I should've mentioned I have FC:N...haven't played it in a long time. The counter count is just phenomenal and I can't play it with my current setup.

I'll give Coral Sea a look.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 06:21:10 PM

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 07:47:02 PM

judgedredd

Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 05:59:43 AM
ooooh. Thank you

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 07:22:21 AM
I didn't know Coral Sea had solo rules. I have the game myself. I'll have to track those rules down.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 01:05:07 PM
They’re pretty basic (almost random) and could do with some tweaking but they’re serviceable.

RockyMountainNavy

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 04:36:54 PM
Have to go with The Fires of Midway. After all, it has a Final Countdown USS Nimitz vs Imperial Japan Navy scenario....

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 04:51:35 PM
Have to go with The Fires of Midway. After all, it has a Final Countdown USS Nimitz vs Imperial Japan Navy scenario....

I thought that was in Carrier?  ???

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 04:58:36 PM
The only Pacific naval game I can remember playing is Flattop - and that was quite a few years ago. One of my buddies had SPI's 'War in the Pacific' but we never had enough room to set it up and leave it that way.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #12 on: April 17, 2020, 05:22:18 PM
I picked up a copy of Flat Top a couple of week ago from ebay for $40.03US. All the counters are there, it looks like it was punched and never played.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 05:59:14 PM
Carrier by VG from back in the day is excellent. Gary Krockover (GJK over at GH) is a nice guy and runs a FB group called "Fans of Victory Games' Carrier." He's done work to redo the maps and counters and sells them for about $30 to augment the game, I think - it's been a while since I've asked him. But if you like the game (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1679/carrier), you'll find a lot of support in that forum.

Blue Water Navy by Compass is something I've wanted for a while, too.

The Hunt for Red October is good, if you can find a copy of it (it's one of those older TSR wargames; I found it through Fine Games and Collectibles).

3rd Fleet, 6th Fleet, or any similar titles by VG (again from back in the day) are good. It's my understanding Compass is re-doing them, though.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #14 on: April 22, 2020, 09:48:21 PM
I received my copy of Arctic Convoy today.  It's part of AP's Second World War at Sea series.  I'm a little disappointed that it turned out to be the 1st edition even though it was listed on the store website as 2nd edition.  Can't complain too much as the store I bought it from is going out of business thanks to the virus and the lockdown.  Someone on the FB forum was kind enough to scan the updated charts and tables so I'll be able to print them out and replace the horrible pink cardstock eyestores that came in the 1st edition.

Love the map!

Hate the cardstock!