Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Salerno '43  (Read 7359 times)

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #15 on: March 06, 2022, 11:34:16 AM
Quite a small footprint really. One map and one sheet of counters.

From what I've read and this picture on GMT's website it looks like its part one of a 3 part series that will be able to be combined.

https://gmtwebsiteassets.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/Salerno43/ITALY-43-44_3maps.jpg
Hopefully "combined" in the sense that - if space is prohibited - you could play all 3 combined "separately"...as in fight one, carry forces over to fight the second etc.

I didn't even think of that as an option but that would make sense. I wonder if  they will leave enough map overlap so you could easily transfer units in you only have room for 1 map.

Another reason I'm really looking forward to this game is to introduce my buddy to the system/series. I have Holland 44 and Ardennes 44 but we just don't have the time and space to set up one of those opposed so I can teach it to him.  We are hoping he can learn they system and then we try to tackle one of the bigger ones over a weekend sometime.

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #16 on: March 15, 2022, 08:42:17 PM
Mine finally showed up today!

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #17 on: March 16, 2022, 12:34:38 AM
Mine finally showed up today!
:groovy: Nice!  :groovy:

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #18 on: March 16, 2022, 12:27:44 PM
I need to get a copy of this...

judgedredd

Reply #19 on: March 17, 2022, 04:53:25 PM
Got my copy today. Map is titchy - but I love these games and knowing the mechanics makes playing the other games much easier

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #20 on: March 17, 2022, 05:11:27 PM
 :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #21 on: March 17, 2022, 11:25:21 PM
Got my copy today. Map is titchy - but I love these games and knowing the mechanics makes playing the other games much easier

Yay! Another copy arrived!  :party:

I had to look up titchy. The definition I found is small. If that's correct, what size map would you have liked to see with this game?

judgedredd

Reply #22 on: March 18, 2022, 02:13:36 AM
It wasn't a complaint...it was an observation  :nerd:

Just about every game I look at has a 22" x 34" map - that's why I was surprised by the map - but like I said, it was an observation. Given the scope of the game, the map size is fine

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #23 on: March 18, 2022, 08:57:55 PM

Just about every game I look at has a 22" x 34" map - that's why I was surprised by the map - but like I said, it was an observation. Given the scope of the game, the map size is fine

Compared to some of the other games in the series it was surprisingly small. Then I read it was the 1st part of a planned 3 part series of the Italian front that you can then combined the maps :)

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #24 on: March 20, 2022, 08:14:21 PM

Thanks for the clarification JD, I appreciate it. I didn't take it as a complaint. I was curious to know if you thought the map should be a different size. After reading many maps are 22" x 34", it makes sense the map with Salerno 43 at 22" x 25.5" would look small.

I'm new to this system by Mr. Simonitch. Any recommendations to make learning the system easier?

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #25 on: March 20, 2022, 08:57:31 PM

Thanks for the clarification JD, I appreciate it. I didn't take it as a complaint. I was curious to know if you thought the map should be a different size. After reading many maps are 22" x 34", it makes sense the map with Salerno 43 at 22" x 25.5" would look small.

I'm new to this system by Mr. Simonitch. Any recommendations to make learning the system easier?

I read through the rule book once then setup the game and then physically follow along with the extended example of play. If it is making sense then I'll keep playing. Of course referencing the rule book plenty to catch my mistakes. If my mistakes aren't game breaking I'll either retcon or just keep playing, fixing it as I go. After several turns I can almost get by with the player aid and only need the rule book for very specific situations.

judgedredd

Reply #26 on: March 21, 2022, 02:46:05 AM

I read through the rule book once then setup the game and then physically follow along with the extended example of play. If it is making sense then I'll keep playing. Of course referencing the rule book plenty to catch my mistakes. If my mistakes aren't game breaking I'll either retcon or just keep playing, fixing it as I go. After several turns I can almost get by with the player aid and only need the rule book for very specific situations.

^ this and this series of videos by The Oaken Knight (I can't for the life of me provide just a link to the playlist)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 02:49:42 AM by judgedredd »

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #27 on: March 21, 2022, 09:46:00 AM
If you want un-titchy, go check out Stalingrad '42.  ;D

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

judgedredd

Reply #28 on: March 21, 2022, 09:54:58 AM
Looked. Tempted. Not practical (game space limitations)  :doh:

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #29 on: March 21, 2022, 10:12:13 AM
Looked. Tempted. Not practical (game space limitations)  :doh:

Ain't that the truth

This was my first P500. I've yet to play it, but go figure. I don't think my game room/office is big enough for the map, let alone any table I own.  ;D

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)