Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Pacific War  (Read 3218 times)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
on: March 07, 2022, 04:21:51 PM
To quote Kirk in Star Trek III, "My God, Bones, what have I done?"

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

judgedredd

Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 05:02:08 PM
Nice.

It must be serious for GMT to send a4" box. Fields of Fire desperately needed a 4" box

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 07:01:30 PM
I owned that back in the day and never got to play it. I would admire the pieces and the map however. A true monster game.

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

judgedredd

Reply #3 on: March 08, 2022, 01:31:57 AM
I've just noticed the map is round the other way...Japan and Russia being on the right and Australia being on the top...not sure I like that  :nerd:

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2022, 08:28:41 AM
I agree, I'm not a fan of the map design. I understand it's for playability but I still don't like it.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

judgedredd

Reply #5 on: March 08, 2022, 09:22:22 AM
Want now  :doh:

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #6 on: March 08, 2022, 04:24:55 PM
I've just noticed the map is round the other way...Japan and Russia being on the right and Australia being on the top...not sure I like that  :nerd:

Would it be possible to rotate the board 180 degrees?

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

Boyerwulf

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #7 on: March 15, 2022, 08:45:40 AM
Yes, I as well hate the map design. Looking at North oriented maps for my entire life, my little brain just doesn't want to accept it. Having played the original Pacific War, it is very complex, and unless you have extreme amounts of time, and patience. The campaign will never get played. Herman's Empire of the Sun is much more playable, and despite being less complex, does an overall better job of showing how logistics, and air power dominated the campaign. Don't get me wrong, Empire of the Sun is extremely complex as well, but infinitely more playable, and less finicky than Pacific War. 

judgedredd

Reply #8 on: March 15, 2022, 04:52:22 PM
mmm...I have Empire of the Sun  :whistle:

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #9 on: March 15, 2022, 04:58:04 PM
mmm...I have Empire of the Sun  :whistle:

unless you're like BBMike and a total PTO fanboi, you probably don't need both  8)

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

judgedredd

Reply #10 on: March 15, 2022, 05:02:23 PM
I have been eyeing Pacific War - but the scale did scare me - plus the required space. So I had declared myself out.

I am a fan of PTO though

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #11 on: March 15, 2022, 07:59:14 PM
I got my copy this weekend.

I'm not a collector--I prefer to play all of my games.

But I have a feeling that I'll never play the campaign game of PW--or Vietnam 1965-1975, which also came in this weekend.