Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Combat Mission:Black Sea  (Read 3138 times)

judgedredd

on: March 09, 2022, 05:36:13 PM
Just fired this up and within 30 minutes and was having a great time until I realised why I haven't played the Combat Mission games for so long.

This tank has clear line of sight to the upper levels of the building (which is the source of Russian troops needing to be suppressed) and yet it's reported there's no clear line of sight - all because they haven't fixed the problem where if you can't see the ground the base of the building is on, you can't see the building or it's upper levels.

So frustrating. A great game that's let down (lots of times) by this little issue.

Sorry for the crappy shot...my software takes an image of my desktop rather than the game

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 06:12:44 PM
are you allowed to do a shot where youre not targeting the troops, but just that floor of the building?

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 11:05:45 PM
Yeah, you should be able to see the building itself and target it even if you can't the enemy inside it. Could be your tank needs to be facing more that direction too. But the pic's fine.  :bigthumb:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

judgedredd

Reply #3 on: March 10, 2022, 01:35:57 AM
are you allowed to do a shot where youre not targeting the troops, but just that floor of the building?

Nope...can't shoot at it because it says there's no Line of Sight.

It's just ludicrous. I'll admit it's not something that happens a whole lot. But when you're troops are getting cut up and you can't provide cover because there's no LOS even though you can clearly see the building - it's pretty infuriating.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #4 on: March 10, 2022, 03:11:47 AM
Hmmm I’ve seen a let’s play on YouTube by a guy who is clearly ex military and he rocks at the game and I’m sure he’s able to do this

Don’t get me wrong I know It’s a problem - had it myself

I’m sure he area targets the floor levels and I’m pretty sure he can’t see base of building 🤷‍♂️

judgedredd

Reply #5 on: March 10, 2022, 03:50:48 AM
I'll check tonight. I may have selected Target and there may be an option for target area. ..I can't remember just now.

judgedredd

Reply #6 on: March 10, 2022, 02:47:00 PM
So I've just checked and there is no way of me being able to target an item that is not in line of sight. I'm simply presented with what you see in the screen...an no entry sign and when clicking the building, there's no firing line - it can't be done.

So even though I can see the upper levels of a building (in truth, I can even see the lowest level...just not the base grid that it sits on and that the game uses to check for line of sight), I cannot suppress anything in that building unless my unit can see the base of the building.

It's very frustrating

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #7 on: March 10, 2022, 02:53:52 PM
buhhh, sorry JD

judgedredd

Reply #8 on: March 10, 2022, 04:12:33 PM
Ha...you didn't make it mate.

It's something I noticed about the game...oddly first spotting it in their Normandy game. Either it wasn't in previous games or for whatever reason I never came across the issue or just thought nothing of it.

I think I may have posted in CM forums...but it was someone somewhere that told me about if you can't see the base of a building you can't see the upper levels

Is obviously something you can game around

Boggit

• Fresh Recruit
Reply #9 on: March 11, 2022, 03:26:39 AM
It might be worth trying the cover arc command and see whether the AI will do it for you. I'll test out that theory next time I have the chance.

Boyerwulf

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #10 on: March 15, 2022, 08:38:56 AM
Line of sight issues are what really turned me off from the entire series. Some of the who can see who, and why, just doesn't make much sense.

Yskonyn

• Jr Lancer
  • Running an online thing is like herding cats
Reply #11 on: March 28, 2022, 05:11:38 PM
1) You can shell the place with indirect fire.

2) I am pretty sure that the tank can fire when it is in C2 with a spotter that has the base of the building visible.

judgedredd

Reply #12 on: March 29, 2022, 02:06:24 AM
Nice to see you around Yskonyn

I appreciate your input - thank you - but I'm not looking for work arounds. I was venting my frustration on one of the most ludicrous situations in one of the best tactical wargames. It makes your efforts to fine good ground, formulate a plan and execute that plan pretty futile.

The fact that I can't direct fire at the top of a building because I can't see the base of said building. The tank can clearly see the upper levels of that building.

Yskonyn

• Jr Lancer
  • Running an online thing is like herding cats
Reply #13 on: March 29, 2022, 03:50:54 AM
Likewise JD!

I understand your point. Is still is one of the most annoying situations in the game.

judgedredd

Reply #14 on: March 29, 2022, 09:23:38 AM
And yet...a superb tactical game. I always thoroughly enjoy myself until I come across this issue again