Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: FOCUS ON........................GMT's '194X' Series.  (Read 6744 times)

judgedredd

Reply #30 on: April 09, 2022, 05:51:46 PM
aye...will do. In the modelling section

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
Reply #31 on: April 09, 2022, 09:25:14 PM
I did not mean to derail the thread. Thanks, JD.

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Something so addictive about the whole kill and loot dynamic, though." - Gusington

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #32 on: April 10, 2022, 11:56:36 AM
Designed by Mark Simonitch, there are now quite a few titles in the series with several re-prints plus some mounted maps.

All the games use a common core system, and are generally of the battalion / regimental scale. The map designs and counters graphics are, I think, very well done, with tthe map for 'Normandy '44' being a favourite of mine.

The list so far is as follows (correct me if I'm wrong) and in no particular order;

Normandy '44
Ardennes '44
France '40
Holland '44
Salerno '43
Stalingrad '42
Stalingrad Expansion
Ukraine '43
North Africa '41 which is a new addition and one that I will be keeping an eye on.

I can't admit to playing all of them, but the ones I have played I have found to be great games and very enjoyable, Normandy '44 being top my my list.

I'm sure many of you have some of these, so lets hear your thoughts.

So, having never played any of these, if you could choose just one which one would it be? Alternately, if I were going to buy just one, which do you recommend? Does it just depend on which battle I prefer?

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #33 on: April 10, 2022, 12:23:51 PM
A lot depends on where your historical interest lies, but to me, it would be a hard choice between Normandy and Ardennes.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #34 on: April 10, 2022, 01:05:16 PM
I've only played a few of the titles but, of the ones I've played, I'd go with Normandy.  Holland' 44 and Ardennes '44 do a great job of conveying just how frustrating it is to get bogged down.  Personally, I don't get a lot of enjoyment from experiencing this phenomenon over and over again in a game.  In Normandy, the Canadians and a majority of the British units will get stuck in a grinding attrition fight around Caen but the Americans and Germans have lots of room to maneuver around other parts of the map.  You don't get that same freedom in Ardennes or Holland....damned bridges...always going boom just as my tanks roll up.....

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #35 on: April 10, 2022, 02:31:56 PM
Thanks, guys! If I pull the trigger it will be Normandy.  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #36 on: April 10, 2022, 02:54:31 PM
I've only played Holland and Ardennes and while I enjoyed them both they almost seemed to scratch different itches. Holland was fun trying to hold out with the airborne troops while racing to relieve them. While I felt there was enough room for maneuver in Ardennes especially as the Germans achieve breakouts and then how to mount your counter attacks or form choke points as the Allies.   So I think as stated above alot depends on which battle your interest most lies with if you can only get one.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #37 on: April 10, 2022, 03:02:40 PM
Thanks, guys! If I pull the trigger it will be Normandy.  :bigthumb:

Good choice, Mike. I haven't played it, but I could be tempted by France '40 :-)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #38 on: April 10, 2022, 06:00:22 PM
...and the more I look at the forth-coming 'North Africa '41' the more I'm starting to lust after it!

I started board wargaming in the late 1960's with a copy of Avalon Hills 'Afrika Korps' and the campaign has always held a fascination for me. Plus my dad served with 8th Army :-)