Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: JTS -- Wellington's Peninsular War  (Read 6333 times)

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
on: November 30, 2019, 07:11:19 PM
http://www.johntillersoftware.com/NapoleonicBattles/WellingtonWar.html

A lot of interesting little scenarios in this one...plus the usual big battle or two.

I do believe this will be the last of the line, bringing to a close a series of games that stretches all the way back to 1996's Battleground 3: Waterloo.

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 08:51:56 AM
Salamanca is one that I'd like to understand better.
The important factor in this battle would be the wounding of Marmont right at the start of the british responses.  With no overall commander, each French division fought the battle in an independent manner.
Unlike other French armies, this one fought with no corps d'armee structure.  The original corps commanders had such personal infighting, that Marmont sent them home before the start of the campaign.  If he had not been wounded, Marmont planned to go to the point of contact and control the action himself.
This sounds like the way Wellington fought his divisions as Keegan described it in The Face of Battle.
If there had been a corps commander on the ground, the other divisions in the corps might have been close enough to support Thomieres when his division was attacked, or the commander might have restrained Thomiers from charging too far forward without support.
Gaming this out could be very different.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

mike0liver

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 07:35:00 AM
I'd be happy to help with any specific questions you have on the battle. Also, there is a small museum in Los Arapiles village, run by a friend of mine, and he could probably answer any queries that I can't. If you get the opportunity, pay the battlefield a visit. Fortunately, when the authorities deemed a road should be run through the battlefield, my friend was able to influence its routing and construction and it now forms a path with historical signposts rather than a scar blighting the site. Much like the Civil War battlefields are treated in the USA.

I started with nothing and still have most of it left

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 07:40:18 AM
Very nice of you, Mike.  I'll have to think on the battle a bit to come up with some questions.
Unfortunately, at this point in life, I seriously doubt there are any overseas trips in store.  You are right that walking a battlefield can be so helpful in understanding what happened.  Glad to hear that the battlefield has had some preservation.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

mike0liver

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 07:46:04 AM
Very nice of you, Mike.  I'll have to think on the battle a bit to come up with some questions.
Unfortunately, at this point in life, I seriously doubt there are any overseas trips in store.  You are right that walking a battlefield can be so helpful in understanding what happened.  Glad to hear that the battlefield has had some preservation.

My pleasure. Salamanca is a beautiful city and well worth a visit but I am now in my 80s and am not able to tramp the hot, dusty countryside of Spain in 40 degree temperatures nor afford the cost of foreign travel any more - so we may have something in common. However, the battlefield is close to the city and fairly easily accessible if you can find a way of getting to Spain.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 09:14:34 AM by mike0liver »

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 11:30:46 AM
At last - we have someone who is older'n me  ;)

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 11:54:52 AM

Nice try but none of us believe that.

My Christmas reading includes the Anglo Saxon Chronicle. I just read the bit where you scolded Alfred the Great because he burned your Hob Nobs while he was on the run from the Vikings.

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 11:55:43 AM
Cocoa and burnt hobnobs just don't go together at all.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 12:50:46 PM
Cocoa and burnt hobnobs just don't go together at all.

Neither do burnt Saxons

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #9 on: December 22, 2019, 02:32:41 PM
Slightly singed, maybe.

mike0liver

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #10 on: December 26, 2019, 05:08:20 AM

I'm older than EVERYBODY!!

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #11 on: December 26, 2019, 05:56:39 AM
They (whoever 'they' are) say that with ago comes wisdom, so what we are doing here, heaven alone knows...................

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #12 on: December 26, 2019, 08:45:50 AM
Slumming with the plebs?

I suspect all this talk of being old and flying the Luftstasche, is all a cover.
The Nine Unknowns, who secretly rule the world, need a laugh now and then.

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #13 on: December 26, 2019, 10:43:11 AM

I'm older than EVERYBODY!!

On mornings like the present one, this prompts all kinds of Schadenfreude :).

Glad you’re here.

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

mike0liver

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #14 on: December 26, 2019, 07:22:04 PM
So am. i. This group is a real find for me.