Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Bison's Tales of Hobby Crafting  (Read 58240 times)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #390 on: February 14, 2024, 11:11:26 PM
Bison

I don't want to hijack your thread - but how do I put some "depth" onto Burke there. His clothing is flat. His face is flat. I'd like to put a bit of life on him.

I guess maybe a wash? That might highlight the features? But I did do that before and it kind of made them just look dirty.

Any ideas?

No issues I am happy to discuss the hobby. I am sure my response will be a bit confusing. If so skip to the bottom and watch the first linked video if my rambling does not make sense.  :D

There are several techniques you can do but the easiest is to use a wash and then restore the "clean" look with layers of your base and highlight colors. It will help give depth by bringing out the detail and create a highlight effect. What wash brand and color are you using?

For the flesh color, a wash like Citadel Reikland Fleshshade works great. Paint a thin layer letting it settle in the recesses. Let the wash dry fully and then reapply your base color and then a highlight color to the high points leaving the wash in the recesses. The high points being forehead, cheeks, nose, and chin. Or just wash and see how you like it. For the table top, it will be fine and still bring out the details.

The clothing , a wash like Agrax Earthshade or Seraphim Sepia will work with the brown tones. Agrax is brown and Sepia is a reddish brown. They will tint the color differently. And then, reapply the base color leaving the wash in the recesses followed by a highlight layer.  However, painting layers to move from a base to a highlight colors works better. This is because your pants, for example, have large flat surfaces which means the wash has fewer recesses to settle and shade.

You can just use Agrax too. Or an Army Paint quick tone wash. And then apply layers of base and highlight color to clean up the look.

My honest recommendation is, if you can afford it, pick up some cheap miniatures and practice your technique on them. You can get a sprue or two of models pretty cheaply off eBay or similar site. It takes practice but it will come. I like to watch the linked YouTube channel below. Vince is the best miniature painting teacher online IMHO and about the only one I watch.

Skip to 17:31 of this video for wash and highlighting basics. It's hard to explain but watch him and it should make sense what you are trying to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXctnwW8Vt0&list=PLcdsbwBroEmCplpQ_s3jSuxW8-1KQrsfT&index=23

Vince Ventrillo's Home Page. Or do a YouTube search of the topic and Vince's name and I guarantee he has a video about it. He's a prolific painting content creator.

https://www.youtube.com/@VinceVenturella/featured

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #391 on: February 17, 2024, 07:29:11 PM
This post is dedicated to Judge Dredd.  ;D

Painting is an experimental process. I did the vast majority of these figures with speed paints. The shields are...underwhelming. I need to experiment on the next batch with a few different ideas. However, I will maintain the red/yellow color scheme. The color scheme is to distinguish groups of 12 figures for Lion's Rampant and Dragon's Rampant purposes. I would have done the same shield pattern on each but I wanted some variety for RPGs and skirmish games. So that's my logic and I am sticking with it. I also hate spending money on shield transfers. So I just do hand painted simple patterns. I am in a I care more about just knocking out my fodder forces for the table and experimenting with painting in the process. I think in a batch or two I should have a more acceptable shield (flat surface) solution for the speed paints for my tastes.

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #392 on: February 18, 2024, 10:29:17 AM
Those look so good!! What company's minis are those??

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #393 on: February 19, 2024, 08:02:58 AM

These are Fireforge miniatures. Specific  pack is call foot sergeants. I love many of the fantasy/historical kits from the non-GW companies. Low cost and a ton of options for your figures.

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #394 on: February 19, 2024, 08:04:37 PM

These are Fireforge miniatures. Specific  pack is call foot sergeants. I love many of the fantasy/historical kits from the non-GW companies. Low cost and a ton of options for your figures.

I really like the way those figures look.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #395 on: February 21, 2024, 12:32:00 PM

I really like the way those figures look.

Yes they make nice figures and they are very reasonably priced. Plus you can make lots of poses and with various weapons types.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #396 on: February 21, 2024, 12:35:37 PM
Horses...the bane of almost every wargamer. You need them for a few thousand years worth of military conflict. Cavalry is so very cool on the table but a pain in the ass to get there.

Just painted up the first six of 24 horses for my first "historical" medieval imagi-nation. Eventually these will have crossbow men riders. They are next in the cue to paint.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #397 on: February 21, 2024, 07:46:50 PM
Ok the first three units are basically done. Just need to finish basing with some flock and static grass and then apply a varnish.

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #398 on: February 21, 2024, 08:26:33 PM
 :dreamer:

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #399 on: February 22, 2024, 03:18:11 AM
Thanks Bison - your advice has been very helpful.

neach-gleidhidh na h-Alba

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #400 on: February 22, 2024, 07:49:05 AM
Thanks Bison - your advice has been very helpful.

Hope to see some photos of your figs.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #401 on: March 03, 2024, 07:40:06 PM
Another unit of mounted sergeants completed. These ones are armed with lances. It's going to be a storage nightmare but they look cool. Still need to finish grass and a couple of painting touch ups before varnishing.