Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: The Last Hundred Yards - HELP  (Read 2395 times)

judgedredd

on: July 02, 2022, 02:30:10 AM
I can't seem to get into it.

I've been through the rules. I've watched videos. I've started, restarted and restarted the 1st mission and it's not necessarily that I don't know what I'm doing, (I'm sure I don't know what I'm doing( but it's the mechanics....I'm just not "feeling" the mechanics

What am I missing? I see nothing but praise for it? Maybe it's the mission I'm doing?

judgedredd

Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 02:47:02 AM
This is what I mean.

Just very compact play area...too many counters. Lots of minus die roll modifiers until basically you assault.

Some of the mechanics I love. The time lapse inserted of turns, casualty threshold, assaults, suppression, wego combat

It's a bit like the Elvis movie I went to see...I came out the cinema thinking it was rubbish but then reeled off a load of stuff that was good...but it was still not great imo.

judgedredd

Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 03:53:25 AM
I think I know what it is that I'm not "feeling".

It's near impossible to cause any casualties unless you have a positive DRM - which in itself is almost impossible against a unit in terrain with a positive DRM.

You only score casualties in 3 ways in the game that I can tell.
  • If you roll a modified ten (which can only happen with a +DRM)
  • If you successfully disrupt a unit (difficult anyway) and then disrupt again
  • If you assault

So it's the first aspect I don't particularly care for. The game seems to want me to assault...I know it's called The Last Hundred Yards and I know why - but to make it almost impossible to score casualties against a unit in terrain with a positive DRM is, in my mind, simply annoying.

I would've been happy with an unmodified 10 causing a casualty. At least then there's a chance. But there's simply almost no chance here. I suppose I could sit an duke it out from terrain with a positive DRM myself and hope to score 2 disrupts.

Don't think I don't get the design behind it - I do. It's just frustratingly difficult and is kind of forcing you to make risky moves to cause casualties...and I know that's real life. I I know the games about those last hundred yards and the dangers and explosiveness of assaulting an enemy in dug in positions.

oh ffs...wtf...I've just explained everything that I need to go back and enjoy the game.

I think the problem is as a caring, loving human being, I don't like to send my boys into danger - in real life or in cardboard/digital form.

I get the game. Maybe I can go back and enjoy it now. We'll see. I might never get used to the idea that you have to put your men in danger to get those bastards out their foxholes.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 03:55:42 AM by judgedredd »

Advocator (Scott)

• Trooper
Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 02:39:47 PM
I'm glad you talked your way into liking it :D

I need to play this more...

judgedredd

Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 02:47:54 PM
Yeah...it is impossible to cause a casualty with a negative DRM with small arms fire...unless you get a second disruption.

The game is about pinning the enemy and closing with them

judgedredd

Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 07:47:21 AM
I am really struggling to have this grasp me.

I don't know what my problem with it is - I thought by working out what you had to do and why you had to do it, I would be flying through...but I'm just really struggling to enjoy the system.

judgedredd

Reply #6 on: July 22, 2022, 07:42:25 AM
I'm still struggling to enjoy this game. I really do not understand why.

Possibly it's the mission? You start right opposite defending Germans. There's no manoeuvring here...it's a charge. Germans get the upper hand in a way because pretty much most of their DRMs are positive meaning you end up with a considerable number of disrupted units. This then stalls your attack and then it's just meh - trying to get the troops rolling again.

It's pretty frickin awesome that it's so accurate. But I don't know - just something is not clicking with me.

I do absolutely love the time lapse system. It's awesome and I'd love to see it in other games...there's no real way of saying when a game is going to end because the time lapse process makes turns of varying length.

Still.......here I go again. 4th time to try and get into and enjoy this system.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2022, 08:26:00 AM
Try the next scenario. Sounds like you have the mechanics. That’s all the first few scenarios are for.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

judgedredd

Reply #8 on: July 22, 2022, 10:24:35 AM
Yeah - I'm really suspecting the mission is putting me off. But I generally don't like sending my wee cardboard troops into blatant danger - and unfortunately this game is about blatant danger. Closing with the enemy and dislodging them, under fire. There's very little chance of casualties from distance here - again, pretty realistic.

I think it's done excellently -  as a platoon game, it's really pretty realistic. But.........is it a system I can grow to love?

Also I meant to give kudos to the initiative system which does try and give the upper hand to the troops with the initiative.

Generally from what I gather, the attacking for has a positive DRM. If they had initiative the previous turn, they get the positive DRM to give some semblance of them keeping going. If, however, they lose the initiative then the following turn they do not get that positive DRM...this kind of simulates the fact that it's difficult to get those troops moving again. Once again, after winning the initiative, they get the positive DRM the following turn to try and keep things moving.

Really a neat little mechanic.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 10:29:10 AM by judgedredd »