Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: LnL Tactical question  (Read 22302 times)

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #45 on: November 10, 2019, 08:40:37 AM
Regarding the shaken Brit squad, remember that the Brits in the Falklands scenarios have the special ability to try to self rally when they’re attacked in melee so it’s a risk trying to finish them off.

I got two games in at BottosCon over the weekend.  I played as the Brits in the Falklands in a scenario where the Argies conduct a pre-dawn parachute and helicopter raid.  Very bloody affair but I managed to hold on in that one.  I played as the Germans against the US 506th in Vierville.  Dice were not with me at all in that one and I got massacred.   I managed to rush the objective with two squads and a sgt on turn two and get into melee with two of their squads and a cpt.  Everyone died.  Those were the only US casualties of the match.  He always managed to pass his morale checks whereas I seemed to fail all mine by one or two and get shaken.  Then he’d just rush one squad around and mop up each shaken unit in melee turn after turn.

Sounds like fun... well not the second game maybe...

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

judgedredd

Reply #46 on: November 10, 2019, 08:53:11 AM
Regarding the shaken Brit squad, remember that the Brits in the Falklands scenarios have the special ability to try to self rally when they’re attacked in melee so it’s a risk trying to finish them off.
Good point. I'd forgotten about that module specific rule. Thanks for the reminder

judgedredd

Reply #47 on: November 10, 2019, 04:16:14 PM
OK...come across a question and I can't find the answer in the 4.1 manual or the 5 manual.

I have a shaken unit that's moved and it's been attacked. The attack succeeds but only results in a Shaken outcome. What do I do to the Shaken unit? Does it just remain Shaken? Does it take casualties? Is it eliminated?

By the way - I'm very glad I've bought the Core 5 rules. There's been several instances when I've tried to find something in the 4.1 manual and had to resort to searching the Core 5 rules and found the answer easily (apart from this). I don't have it yet, but it should be with me tomorrow.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #48 on: November 10, 2019, 04:29:31 PM
It should be on the DFT, under the results. Pretty sure they take a casualty.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #49 on: November 10, 2019, 04:30:54 PM
Double check that you’re using the correct column.  A shaken unit takes casualties or gets eliminated.

judgedredd

Reply #50 on: November 10, 2019, 04:34:42 PM
Damn. Sorry. Here's me thinking I'm getting used to the direct fire procedures (and I am) and I go and forget to check the DFT.

Yes it's on there and the unit takes Calais. Thanks.

judgedredd

Reply #51 on: November 10, 2019, 05:04:41 PM
One last one for tonight.

I have a leader, MMC and a LAW (light anti-tank weapon). I know I can fire the LAW at infantry in a building and not lose -1 because it's a heat weapon.

When I fire my LAW, is my MMC that has the LAW allowed to fire as well but separately?

The only thing I see in the manual on this is under 5.2 Multiple Attacking Units which in itself is confusing for my situation because I don't have multiple attacking units...just one MMC...and it says "SWs must fire during the same impulse as the squad that possesses them" and I take that to mean the MMC can fire it's IFP as well as firing it's SW (as long at that SW has an OFT)...and at a different hex of it wishes.

Am I right?

judgedredd

Reply #52 on: November 10, 2019, 05:10:22 PM
NM. I've just read on the OFT that a squad can fire it's SW and it's IFP or two support weapons and forfeit is IFP.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #53 on: November 11, 2019, 02:47:39 AM
Yes you can fir the OFT SW and then use your own FP. Must be separate attacks but must be in the same impulse. Can be different targets. Can only use leadership mod for one of the attacks.

judgedredd

Reply #54 on: November 11, 2019, 03:57:47 AM
Yes you can fir the OFT SW and then use your own FP. Must be separate attacks but must be in the same impulse. Can be different targets. Can only use leadership mod for one of the attacks.
Just to clarify - when you say "different targets",  those targets can be in different hexes? The rules don't specify "different targets in the same hex", so I'm guessing you can fire a SW (with an OFT) at one hex and fire your IFP at a different hex. Or indeed two different targets in the same hex.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #55 on: November 11, 2019, 04:19:41 AM
Same hex. So if there is a tank and infantry in one hex you can fire the OFT SW at the tank and fire your IFP at the infantry.
Where if you have a DFT SW you have to fire it and your IFP at the same time at either the tank or the infantry but not both.

judgedredd

Reply #56 on: November 11, 2019, 05:30:54 AM
Thank you - superb help as always  :bigthumb:

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #57 on: November 11, 2019, 05:57:07 AM
You're welcome. Any time.
Glad you seem to be enjoying this more than in the past.

judgedredd

Reply #58 on: November 11, 2019, 10:15:32 AM
Yeah I've pretty much got direct fire down now - at least the process. Before I used to get confused about why I was rolling so many dice. Roll for attack. Roll for defence. Subtract and use remainder to add to another die roll and compare to the morale values...it really threw me.

The challenge now seems to be remembering all the various modifiers. I noticed the other night (last?) that I forgot a modifier again. So it's about taking my time and making sure I have all the modifiers.

The DFT modifiers helps alot.

I should make a list of the key points so I have a sheet. For example SDR mentioned about a British unit being able to self-rally in melee. I had read it but totally forgotten about it.

I got my new v5 Core Ruleset today. It looks smashing . It was pricey but I think it'll prove very worth it. The past couple of nights if I couldn't find an answer in the 4.1 ruleset, I'd shimmy on down to the PC and fire up the v5 rules and often find the answer - quite quickly too.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #59 on: November 11, 2019, 10:31:55 AM
The v5 Core Rulebook is a thing of beauty.  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy