Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Stellaris  (Read 103065 times)

judgedredd

Reply #90 on: February 08, 2021, 04:24:59 AM
Well s***, JD; I think you might have just gotten stuck with a bad starting position.  :-\  And this was with only 15 other empires in a 1000-star galaxy?
Yep. I'm not too fussed... I'm sure it can happen but it kind of does mean my game is pooped...everyone around me is going to get stronger.

Am gonnae pick a fight

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #91 on: February 08, 2021, 07:30:51 AM
Ha, the classic "go big, or go home" strategy.  :bigthumb:  Good luck! 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #92 on: February 08, 2021, 08:37:39 PM
Reading through a few guides and watching the guides Martok recommended and I'm really getting into this game but realized I need to start a new game as I've made some noob mistakes that will hurt as I get closer to the mid game. But for now I'm going to use this failed game to just mess around and learn the systems and pull some levels and push buttons to see what happens :)

Also, after watching the ASpec videos for noobs I find it interesting how he categorized players of Stellaris as either Min/Maxers or Roleplayers in their approach to the game.  How woudl y'all say you approach the game?

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #93 on: February 08, 2021, 08:44:20 PM
I am definitely a role player. Same for Civ games. Never had the patients to be a min/maxer.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Yskonyn

• Jr Lancer
  • Running an online thing is like herding cats
Reply #94 on: February 09, 2021, 03:15:23 AM
I am definitely a role player. Same for Civ games. Never had the patients to be a min/maxer.

I usually watch a few guides to get a sense of general effecient play, but then go my own way. I don’t care for min/max to the extreme and prefer just going with a theme instead, but I do keep in mind that I always want to play efficiently. So, in short, somewhere in between.

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #95 on: February 09, 2021, 03:33:22 AM
Unfortunately, I don't get any immersion at all when playing Stellaris (it's like playing a good looking Excel sheet), so no role-playing for me. I try to maximise my game but i usually fail as the AI seems to always have higher caps for it's fleets. I really dislike games where the AI is cheating on normal setting.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 03:35:49 AM by Anguille »

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #96 on: February 09, 2021, 04:03:18 AM
Reading through a few guides and watching the guides Martok recommended and I'm really getting into this game but realized I need to start a new game as I've made some noob mistakes that will hurt as I get closer to the mid game. But for now I'm going to use this failed game to just mess around and learn the systems and pull some levels and push buttons to see what happens :)

That's always what I've done when learning a new game as well.  I often find those can be the most fun.  :) 

Also, after watching the ASpec videos for noobs I find it interesting how he categorized players of Stellaris as either Min/Maxers or Roleplayers in their approach to the game.  How woudl y'all say you approach the game?

I'm definitely more of a role-player.  I mean, I'm still trying to win, of course (or at least become successful in-game), but I'm not so ruthless about the process that I allow it to ruin my sense of immersion. 

Unfortunately, I don't get any immersion at all when playing Stellaris (it's like playing a good looking Excel sheet), so no role-playing for me. I try to maximise my game but i usually fail as the AI seems to always have higher caps for it's fleets. I really dislike games where the AI is cheating on normal setting.

Yeah, I don't like it when the AI cheats on normal difficulty settings, either.  What bothers me even more, though, is when the AI is so obvious about it. 

If the AI needs to cheat in some fashion in order to keep up, then fine.  (I mean, it's not *really* "fine", but we all know that in most games it's unavoidable, even if we don't like it.)  But when a game doesn't even bother to hide the fact that the AI is cheating -- when it's blatantly obvious that it's doing so -- then the game has failed in a major way, as that damages (if not outright destroys) a player's sense of immersion. 

I've been fortunate in that while playing v2.1, I've not really noticed much blatant AI cheating.  It's going to be interesting, however, to see whether I still find that to be the case when I move to v2.9 (once the update drops). 

judgedredd

Reply #97 on: February 09, 2021, 05:39:23 PM
Well - I did pick a fight - with someone who was "equivalent" to me in all 3 categories.

They seem to be creating ships at a vast rate. At first, I took on a fleet of about 400 power. Then they sent a fleet of 800 power. Now I see two fleets of 800 power each in a neighbouring system.

It's all I can do to keep battling these off and repairing/rebuilding before another 800 show up.

Honestly - if there's no cheating going on there, I'd be very surprised.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #98 on: February 10, 2021, 06:19:23 AM
I suspect you're right, unfortunately. 

It's long been known the AI (even on Normal/Ensign difficulty) only has to pay half the maintenance costs in energy credits for its ships, but I've honestly never noticed them being able to rebuild their fleet as quickly as you've described.  I'm curious as to whether I've simply been oblivious to this the entire time, or if it was something changed/added in v2.2 or later. 

judgedredd

Reply #99 on: February 10, 2021, 10:24:43 AM
I don't actually know how much they had in the way of fleets...but I had 24 ships with a power of around 1k and they were "marked" in the Factions window (or whatever it's called) as having a similar force...now I'm just sucking up wave after wave of 800 power fleets.

Though - there does seem to be a small window of calm...maybe I've got them by the short and curlies?

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #100 on: February 10, 2021, 12:49:35 PM
Though - there does seem to be a small window of calm...maybe I've got them by the short and curlies?

Heh.  Odds are you do, actually. 

They're probably running low on alloys, thus slowing down their ship production.  Even with whatever cheats/bonus it gets, the AI still doesn't have infinite resources.  So keep holding on...and twist.  >:D 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #101 on: February 11, 2021, 10:02:30 AM
...And I no longer have any interest in the Nemesis DLC. 

*If* you get elected as the Galactic Custodian, you just get access to some extra diplomatic options in the Galactic Community.  So much for my vainglorious dreams of becoming the galaxy's great defender.  :( 

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/stellaris-dev-diary-200-the-custodian.1456176/

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #102 on: February 11, 2021, 10:46:56 AM
Oooh, now I have more interest in the Nemesis DLC!

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #103 on: February 11, 2021, 02:26:20 PM
Who needs the galactic community.  Bunch of whinny wimps.  In my current game I ignore them the war in heaven, and now the end game Scourge has shown up.  I'm expanding my fleets and continue to terraform molten, barren planets and gas giants and colonizing them.  While the other pathetic races war among themselves I will soon release my fleets against them.  Mercy will come at the end of a rifle for those week races. 

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #104 on: February 11, 2021, 08:53:13 PM
^ They have it coming.

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.