Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Stellaris  (Read 102995 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #255 on: May 20, 2021, 08:54:06 PM
Dev Diary #212 is up -- although it's not really a dev diary, so much as a pair of announcements. 

The first is that the 3.03 patch has finally left beta and been officially released.  Patch notes can be found here

For better for worse, it appears this will be the final Nemesis patch.  Presumably we won't see further updates until the next DLC comes out, whenever that will be. 

The other main announcement is that PDXCon Remixed, an online version of their annual fan convention, kicks off tomorrow. 

In and of itself, I don't really care about the event (although if that's your sort of thing, then by all means I sincerely hope you enjoy yourself).  However, Paradox will be hosting a show tomorrow (starting at 20:00 CEST/14:00 EST) featuring news, announcements, and other "revelations".  I'm guessing the odds of any major Stellaris news is slim, but it still might be worth checking out. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #256 on: May 21, 2021, 09:14:53 AM
Curious to which new games are going to be worked on even though it's always more of the same (they have done the same game for the last 20 years with some specific focuses). The only different one is Stellaris.

Guess i will play a little of Stellaris next week.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #257 on: May 21, 2021, 02:58:13 PM
Curious to which new games are going to be worked on even though it's always more of the same (they have done the same game for the last 20 years with some specific focuses). The only different one is Stellaris.

Guess i will play a little of Stellaris next week.

Victoria 3 was just announced.  I started a thread here:  https://www.armchairdragoons.com/forum/index.php?topic=3261.msg70209#new

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #258 on: May 21, 2021, 02:58:43 PM
Also, Stellaris is free to play this weekend if you want to give it a try or know someone that does. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #259 on: May 21, 2021, 05:16:18 PM
Gotta hand it to Paradox, they know how to make a trailer. 

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #260 on: May 21, 2021, 08:49:17 PM
Gotta hand it to Paradox, they know how to make a trailer. 

Yeah that was pretty cool.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #261 on: May 24, 2021, 10:17:28 PM

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #262 on: May 25, 2021, 03:58:49 AM
No surprise, there.  Given how successful Stellaris has been for Paradox -- despite its various issues -- I wouldn't have imagined they were done with the DLC train anytime soon.  I expect Stellaris will see at least a couple more major expansions, along with whatever additional story packs and race packs get released between now and the end of the game's development. 

There's also the variable of other Paradox games in the pipeline:  We know about Vicky 3, I have to believe EU5 is in the works as well (for a whole host of reasons), and it won't be too much longer before it's time to start planning for HoI 5 (if they haven't already).  Plus, who knows whether they have "smaller" projects like another Sengoku or March of the Eagles in development?  Combined with the fact that they have only so many people to work on major game projects at a time, that necessarily stretches things out. 

Given all that, I would be astonished if a sequel to Stellaris were released before 2023 at the very earliest, with 2024 or even 2025 striking me as being much more likely.  in the meantime, Paradox has every reason to continue to make DLC for the current game, considering its success to date. 

All *that* being said, there's one (possibly interesting?) thing I noticed...  Henrik Fåhraeus, who was both lead designer and game director for Stellaris until he left the project to (as it turned out) star work on Crusader Kings III, seems to have dropped off the radar since CK3 was announced last year.  Wouldn't it be funny if he was already starting work on Stellaris 2?  :P 

I realize it's a tad unlikely, but it's amusing to think about. 

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #263 on: May 25, 2021, 07:44:59 AM
so we asked the dev team if they even wanted to go on for another five years. “We have so many different ways to expand,” Stephen Murray, Stellaris’ game designer told us. “Personally, yes, I would love another five years.”

“If I can continue bringing interesting ways to bring new moments of wonder to the game, I’ll be really happy with that.”

Or how to milk the community/fans.... :whistle:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 07:47:31 AM by Anguille »

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #264 on: May 25, 2021, 07:50:39 AM
Does any development team actually finish a game properly anymore?

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #265 on: June 03, 2021, 09:19:00 PM
So I have to admit, today's dev diary has me more excited than I probably should be...   

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/stellaris-dev-diary-214-announcing-the-custodians-initiative-and-the-free-lem-update.1477655/

TL;DR:  Stellaris now has a separate team devoted entirely to going back and sprucing up older content, with the aim of releasing smaller, but more regular (every 3 months or so) updates -- apart from the team that works on developing DLC. 

This first free update, named "Lem" (after Polish author Stanislaw Lem), will be a bit beefier than subsequent updates, and include the following planned features: 

*  Humanoids Species Pack and Plantoids Species Packs will now feature some new gameplay features (ala Lithoids and Necroids). 
    *   Revamped Traditions, and more of them to choose from (you won't be locked into the 7 trees we currently have).
    *  A balance pass on some existing gameplay systems and features.
    *  The usual QoL improvements, bug fixes, AI improvements, etc. 

The dev team is careful to emphasize that this new "Custodian Initiative" isn't a magic fix, but I really like the direction this appears to be heading in.  Here's hoping it pans out. 

The other obvious implication of this, is that Stellaris 2 isn't coming out anytime soon.  I can't imagine the devs devoting even minimal resources to older code unless they intended the existing game to be around for a good long while yet. 

« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 04:45:09 PM by Martok »

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #266 on: June 04, 2021, 08:08:57 AM
That is very exciting news.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #267 on: June 04, 2021, 09:15:45 AM
You know when a game gets so big you’re scared/reluctant to even dip a toe in again?  :-\

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #268 on: June 04, 2021, 11:28:06 AM
You know when a game gets so big you’re scared/reluctant to even dip a toe in again?  :-\

Yep... that's EU IV for me.  :-[

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #269 on: June 04, 2021, 12:11:13 PM

Yep... that's EU IV for me.  :-[

I just started back with EUIV.  Playing the Extended Timeline mod as the Han starting in like 50 AD.