Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: TW: Warhammer Questions  (Read 20607 times)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #60 on: April 17, 2021, 06:27:32 AM
Never tried them or met them but I understand some of their units are hard as nails in combat

The one real downside right now is missile units. The high elves, for example, have significantly superior missile units at least the tier 1 units. The lizardmen have skink javelin throwers but the rate of fire and amount of ammo is much less. I have not really seen an appreciable degradation of advancing line units prior to melee combat. And the heavier melee units are pretty slow. I think I need to spam out more of the faster, cheaper skink units to setup a skirmish line to advance behind.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #61 on: April 17, 2021, 02:37:12 PM
I’ve seen a video of a guy with high elves decimate an entire lizardmen army with just bows with something called the chequerboard setup - don’t know how or why it works but it was a sight to behold

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #62 on: April 17, 2021, 04:18:46 PM
The High Elves have, without question, the best missile units in the game.  Even their Tier 1 archers are stupidly good (as Bison noted).  All my "standard" HE armies consist of at least 4-5 regiments of them.  :D 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #63 on: April 17, 2021, 05:14:01 PM
Same as table top really

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #64 on: April 18, 2021, 12:12:30 AM
I'll happily take your word for it.  :)  Although from what I understand, CA has apparently done a decent job of staying faithful to the source material, so I suppose I'm not terribly surprised by that. 

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #65 on: April 18, 2021, 02:06:22 AM
I wish I had the time to do all the painting and assembling necessary to play a tabletop miniatures game.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #66 on: April 18, 2021, 02:30:06 AM
For me, I would need both far more patience *and* manual dexterity than I could ever hope to actually possess.  :P 

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #67 on: April 18, 2021, 01:11:34 PM
^Ditto. I'd have more luck letting my 8 year old grandson have a go at them with watercolors.

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #68 on: April 19, 2021, 01:54:42 PM
I don’t think it’s been fully confirmed but I’d read that once GW were happy with the Pc game they blew up the table top game to transition to the new age of sigma

However next year they release the old world which is a return back to fantasy battle

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #69 on: April 19, 2021, 05:49:00 PM
Yeah, apparently the popularity of the Total War games made GW sit up and realize there were a lot more fans of the fantasy battles than they'd assumed.  I've seen quite a few Warhammer fans thanking CA for helping bring it back. 

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #70 on: April 19, 2021, 06:20:46 PM
Makes you wonder how many of those people will go back to the hobby and remain long term. It’s a lot of work to get a table ready army together. I always thought a prepainted line up would do well.

I seem to recall fantasy player base was shrinking pretty dramatically when official support was pulled.

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #71 on: April 19, 2021, 08:11:03 PM
Makes you wonder how many of those people will go back to the hobby and remain long term.

That's what happened to me and board wargaming. For many years I loved pulling out those cardboard maps, but with kids, pets, etc.... computer gaming filled that niche. I've tried to get back into board gaming a time or two, but we still have pets and now grandkids. And to some degree, it's simply too easy to just sit at my computer and enjoy a game. Or even look at my Steam collection and then go back and play the same old stuff again   ::)

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.