Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Weekend Gaming!!!  (Read 220923 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #525 on: January 21, 2020, 04:32:38 PM
'geek, your painting skills never cease to amaze me.  Those are awesome! 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #526 on: January 21, 2020, 08:26:58 PM
Thanks everyone - the last figure - the weasel, I wanted to be a loveable rogue kind of Han Solo guy - When I started painting him he really looked like a huntsman on a fox hunting party which is great but the warband leader is a fox so he might have to be an all out baddie and I’ll recruit another good guy

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #527 on: January 22, 2020, 06:34:49 AM
Wait, this is a gaming thread?

Martok, I think Thrones is my favorite TW of the series that I own. I haven't played any mods though, which one do you recommend?

UCG, outstanding job on the figures!

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #528 on: January 23, 2020, 01:36:20 AM
Wait, this is a gaming thread?

Yeah, despite our level-best efforts to derail them around here, every once in a while they still manage to stay (or be dragged back) on-topic.  ???  It's weird, I know. 

Martok, I think Thrones is my favorite TW of the series that I own. I haven't played any mods though, which one do you recommend?

Cheers, Tuna!  I can't claim ToB as my favorite -- I think my heart will always belong to the original Shogun and (especially) Medieval :dreamer: -- but it *is* the most fun I've had playing a historical TW game since Rome II...and in some ways, more. 

To answer your question, I actually have a number of mods installed for Thrones.  Here's the list of the ones I'm playing with, along with my (current) assessment regarding them... 

1.) ToB Enhanced Campaign:  Changes include unlimited governors, technologies no longer require certain conditions as pre-reqs, all factions can confederate & loot, auto-resolve is more accurate, and more.  Verdict:  Favorable.  While admittedly a bit less realistic, I find it's more than offset by the improvement in both campaign pacing, and reduced frustration in managing my kingdom.  This mod may not appeal to those who prefer a slower and/or more historical campaign start. 

2.) Minor Town Garrisons:  Pretty self-explanatory, minor settlements receive an automatic garrison of levy-tier units.  Garrison size ranges from 2 to 6 units, depending on the town's upgrade level.  Verdict:  Marginally favorable.  It helps level the playing field for the AI somewhat (it's not as good as human players at invading unoccupied minor settlements), plus it feels a bit more realistic; however, it also slows down the campaign pacing.  Honestly, this one is pretty much a toss-up; it's really going to depend on what is more important to you. 

3.) M's Tenacious Skill Points Britannia:  When leveling up, your characters now gain 2 skill points instead of 1.  Verdict:  Very favorable.  Given how relatively short a time your characters (ruler, generals, governors, etc.) live, gaining only one skill point per level has long been a critique among even the most ardent fans of this game.  Now all the major characters in your kingdom are more powerful, impactful, and just all-around useful.  I already can't imagine playing ToB without this fantastic little mod.  Give this one a miss if you're a masochist, and/or enjoy combating frustration (along with the perfidious foe) in your games. 

4.) Seasonal Effects:  Affects income, food, movement, replenishment, morale, supplies and public order.  Also includes "unseasonable" events, both good & bad (mild winters, summer droughts, etc.).  Verdict:  Mostly favorable.  The unseasonable events seem to happen a bit too frequently to be realistic (or at least believable), but otherwise I like that it now matters more what season it is.  Not a "must-have" mod, but it mildly improves both gameplay and immersion. 

5.) Historical Cities and Landmarks:  Gives you interesting informational pop-ups when clicking on major settlements, and any settlements near visible landmarks (once you've captured it).  Verdict:  Favorable.  For those who like more atmosphere/immersion in their games, and/or wish to learn a little more about the early medieval history of the British Isles, this mod is for you.  It's also pure "flavor"; if you're only interested in mods that improve gameplay, then you should pass on this one. 

6.) ToB Enhanced Battles:  Makes battles longer and more tactical, mainly by reducing weapons damage and/or accuracy to a more realistic level.  Unit speeds have been decreased as well (less "sprinting" across the map).  Verdict:  Tentatively favorable.  I've played only a small handful of battles so far with the mod installed, so I'm withholding my full judgment for now.  That being said, combat does appear to be more of a proper "grind", especially between shield-walls (as it should be).  Those who prefer more fast-paced battles should give this mod a miss. 

7.) Better Camera Mod:  Let's you both zoom in closer and further away during battles.  Verdict:  Moderately favorable.  It's a neat little mod that enhances one's viewing pleasure (the "spectacle" of battle).  If you're mostly just interested in the tactical aspect of battles, then this mod isn't really necessary. 

8.) Immersive Shields and Armies:  Basically another immersion mod, it improves the look of units, especially those with shields (obviously), although clothing & armor receive some TLC as well.  Verdict:  Favorable.  An easy "recommend" for those who want their armies looking a little more authentic.  The Saxon and Viking factions appear to have received a bit more attention, so those who prefer Celtic and/or Gaelic factions may feel slighted! 

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #529 on: January 23, 2020, 07:54:45 AM
Wow, thanks!!! Will have to check some out.  :bigthumb:

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #530 on: February 07, 2020, 07:09:36 AM
This weekend I'll be play testing the new version of PanzerBlitz with the designer.  That should be fun.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #531 on: February 07, 2020, 07:38:06 AM
New version = new rules again?

Or just a new set of scenarios for the Hill of Death era rules?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #532 on: February 07, 2020, 07:54:38 AM
Revised rules.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #533 on: February 07, 2020, 07:56:38 AM
We'll have our granddaughter staying this weekend so not much chance for any gaming.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #534 on: February 07, 2020, 08:00:52 AM
Actually this is a perfect chance for you to acclimate her into the ways of hexes and counters! MUWAHAHAHAHA

Err...uh...sorry. No, I hope guys will have a good time regardless of what you do.  :bigthumb:

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #535 on: February 07, 2020, 08:39:48 AM
She is only six, so I guess the first thing to teach her when she is a bit older is MtG :-)

As it is, she has been introduced to WoW and plays that a bit - the missus created a low level character for her.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #536 on: February 07, 2020, 08:52:48 AM
Good onboarding strategy.  :)

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #537 on: February 07, 2020, 09:02:06 AM
Try to continue my WaW85 Defense of Frankfurt scenario... and AAR...

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #538 on: February 07, 2020, 12:00:36 PM
More Warhammer II: TW for me, this time with the new beta patch (the "King's Shilling" update).  Taking Karl Franz and his boys for another spin! 

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #539 on: February 07, 2020, 12:36:42 PM
Finally, I'm hoping, some time with Space Infantry: Resurgence.