Author Topic: Konigsberg: The Soviet Attack on East Prussia, 1945  (Read 316 times)

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
on: April 14, 2021, 12:31:12 PM
Konigsburg is a 1-3 player game depicting the Soviet 2nd and 3rd Belorussain Fronts assaulting German-held East Prussia in January-February of 1945. The game utilizes a chit-pull system, making it soloable, The 3-player version is where one takes the Germans, and the other two each take one of the Soviet Fronts.

This game was compelling to me as I love the Gotterdammerung-ness of it - the beginning of the end for Germany as their home soil is trod upon by the Soviets for the first time in the Second World War. This assault generated mass panic among civilians as they moved westward as fast as they could. Epic tragedies such as the sinking of the Wilhelm Gustloff were but one of countless tragedies to come out of World War 2.

This will be a casual AAR; I will play it and post as I have time. Truthfully, I'm still learning the game and need more time to become acquainted with it, but thought you guys might like seeing the set-up and the overall situation. I will add to this as I can.

I will probably also take larger pictures moving forward; my camera can do images at 4k pixels wide, but these are set to 1600 to save space. It might be useful and interesting to zoom in to see some of the details, so apologies for not being able to do that, here.

The 2nd Belorussian Front starts in the lower left corner; Konigsberg is due north (which is up and to the right) from them. The 3rd Belorussian Front starts in the lower right corner of the map. Both are powerful formations with a lot of strong tank support, whereas the Germans are stringing out weakened infantry and Volksgrenadier divisions, though a few powerful Panzer and Panzergrenadier forces are still in the field.

By the way, my 'flag' with Konigsberg printed on it is actually pointing to a hex that's just to the left of the actual city. I thought I fixed that, but apparently not.

This should help visualize things better. Konigsberg is marked in the middle-upper-center.

And here's what I'm going to use to mark VP sites. There are 14 of these hexes, and each is worth 1 VP. Only a few of them are pictured here, though. I'm using blue translucent discs to mark German-held VP hexes - all of them at game start are in German control. If (when) they pass to Soviet control, I'll mark them with a red translucent disc. This makes visualizing progress and status much easier (for me, anyway). If you click this image, it should appear much larger than the other pics in this AAR.

The 2nd Belorussian Front, seen below, is made up of six Armies with several independent Tank Corps and Tank Brigades in support. Facing them are four German Corps, spread out thinly, with a few independent formations and a sprinkling of Panzer units.

On the other side, the 3rd Belorussian Front is just as strong, with six Armies and again, several independent Tank Corps and Tank Brigades. The Germans have four Corps here as well, but they have some strong Panzer units - notably the Fallschirm-Panzer-Division 1. Hermann Göring (the 7-5-8 unit near the top, just to the left of the middle), as well as the 5th Panzer Division, which is out of sight under a 3-3-8 Panzer unit, just to the right of top middle.

I should note, if the Soviets manage to occupy either Konigsberg or Elbing (which is close by the former) with a supplied unit, the game will end immediately with a Soviet victory. Otherwise, at the end of the final game turn, the number of VP hexes are counted up and compared to a level of victory in a chart.

The Germans are pretty well spread out, trying to cover a lot of avenues of approach. I think their only chance of victory is to do a fighting retreat, preserving as much of their army as possible, with the goal of shrinking their defensive area. They'll especially need to preserve their Panzer forces, and I think it would be severely tempting to use them early to try to blunt the powerful Soviet units. However, this may be a mistake - probably best to wait for the Soviets to grind themselves down, and then strike.

As I said, I will post more as I have time. Too many side projects going on right now to spend time otherwise on games. I should hopefully have more time once May gets here! :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 12:37:33 PM by BanzaiCat »

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 12:50:10 PM
Cool! Also, that map has an old school vibe to it.  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 01:23:31 PM
Agreed, Mike, it does look good. BC, if you like that period, then I would recommend 'Victory Roads' by Hexasim - assuming you haven't already got it, of course.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 01:31:26 PM
Agreed, Mike, it does look good. BC, if you like that period, then I would recommend 'Victory Roads' by Hexasim - assuming you haven't already got it, of course.

I do not (lol). I don't own any Hexasim games, actually.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 01:34:22 PM
Well both 'Liberty Roads' and 'Victory Roads' are excellent games. GMT are US distributers of Hexasim Games  :whistle:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 02:01:48 PM
Ah yes. I used to own 1989, but no longer unfortunately.

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 07:49:33 PM
Good stuff BC, looking forward to following along!