Author Topic: SPQR - Beventum  (Read 1147 times)

GriffinTwoSix

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
on: June 18, 2021, 07:01:41 AM
Having played through Hoplite of the GBoH series, next up is SPQR.  I took a bit of a break after Hoplite to play other things, just long enough for the rules to get fuzzy... and SPQR is proving a bit more complicated. Slow moving for now, but still a neat game.

Beventum starts with Pyrrhus approaching a Roman camp during the night.  If you push troops too close to the camp, you alert the Romans. I opted to deploy Pyrrhus' troops into battle line just out of sight of the camp during the night.  So as the sun rises, the Romans see Pyrrhus' army drawn up, are alerted, and begin to stream out of camp to form line of battle.

To Pyrrhus' left flank is some broken ground sprinkled about. I opted to deploy the light troops and light cavalry there, with the Elephants.  The Phalanxes are lining up towards the open ground on the right, along with the Heavy Cavalry. The rough ground is particularly damaging to the cohesion of Phalanxes, so keeping them in the clear is important. His deployment overall is close to complete. The tough thing is to time the attack. If Pyrrhus can win the skirmishing fight with the light troops, he might force the Romans to attack him through harrassment. This would be nice since there are ballista on the towers of the Roman camp that he would obviously prefer not to fight in range of.  On the other hand, if he waits until the Romans are around halfway deployed, he might be able to rush the Phalanxes forward and win the fight, ballistas or not, before the Romans fully deploy. If he attacks too soon though, the Romans can pull back inside the fortified camp and defend themselves from there.

Figuring out how to get the Romans out of camp without getting them destroyed is interesting in itself...There's some restrictions as to what gates can be used by who. Opted to start with the Skirmishers and Cavalry. Hoping they can screen for a bit if necessary to give the heavier troops time to deploy. 

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 06:45:15 PM
I really love this system and have Cataphract's Catalaunian Fields battle out on my (hotel room) table right now.

I just got a copy of Hoplite yesterday. I've been waiting for the P500, so when someone posted it for sale on Facebook, I snatched it up. The battles do seem simpler and more straightforward than SPQR and later battles.

GriffinTwoSix

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 09:12:02 PM
Nice! Very cool, I think you'll enjoy Hoplite. The Greek vs Persian scenarios are all really fun.

GriffinTwoSix

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 08:25:59 AM
Pyrrhus has pushed his line forward as close as he can to the camp while staying out of Ballista range.  Some Roman troops have begun to get into line.  Cretian Archers have begun to fire on the Roman Velites.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Onward and upward
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 08:38:48 AM
How much damage does the ballista do to a dismounted unit?  Is the rate of fire enough that it can wreck your line before you get close enough to kill it?

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.

GriffinTwoSix

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 08:55:12 AM
According to the charts, at a range of 3 hexes it ought to be as effective as an Archer unit at 1 hex range. It does get to fire twice in a turn though, and if firing flaming ammunition can route elephants. It's tough to say exactly how effective they'll be though since I'm new to this module, would definitely be able to ding up a few units before they get into combat.

Edit: I should add that the walls of the camp itself provide some really severe column shifts for combat resolution, its basically not possible for Pyrrhus' force to attack it favorably from what I've seen.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 09:22:32 AM by GriffinTwoSix »

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 12:13:16 PM
Interesting stuff  :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

GriffinTwoSix

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 07:26:38 AM
After some intense skirmishing, Pyrrhus' archers and slingers step aside to allow the first of his phalanxes to commit to the attack. Hoplites and Medium infantry are marching up from reserve to take their place as the attack goes in.

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 08:08:59 PM
After some intense skirmishing, Pyrrhus' archers and slingers step aside to allow the first of his phalanxes to commit to the attack. Hoplites and Medium infantry are marching up from reserve to take their place as the attack goes in.

Good stuff!

GriffinTwoSix

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 07:56:46 AM
A general melee continues in the center, Phalanxes getting the worst of it so far, but its close. None on either side have broken. Pyrrhus shifts the cavalry to the extreme right and prepares to send it in. Romans struggle to coordinate as they try to bring their second legion into the fight on the left.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 05:47:12 PM
Looks like a pretty good fight so far.  :bigthumb: 

Do the Romans have skirmishers and cavalry as well, or is their army mostly comprised of regular infantry? 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

GriffinTwoSix

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #11 on: June 24, 2021, 05:18:14 AM
They've got quite a few of the Javelin armed Velites which act essentially as skirmishers, but no slingers or archers. Cavalry they do have, but not alot of.. 5 units of troop quality 5 thru 7, compared to 6 units of Pyrrhus' cav at troop quality 7 and 8. I also found out the hard way on the combat charts that Roman Cav is pretty different from the Heavy Cav that Pyrrhus has, Heavy Cav being considered Superior on the combat charts, so in a cavalry fight its a one sided matchup.

GriffinTwoSix

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #12 on: June 24, 2021, 05:31:58 AM
The Indian Elephants are sent in on Pyrrhus' left, more to delay than anything else, while the Medium Infantry and other sort of 'reserve' units are brought up to refuse the Left Flank. Fighting in the center continues, Phalanxes had to take a couple break tests, but passed all and managed to keep on.  At the top of the map, Roman Cavalry initiated a charge against Pyrrhus' Cav before it could completely form up. Turns out to be a tough matchup and it looks like the Roman Cav will be heading back the other way shortly... 

Phalanxes have this interesting ability where when their cohesion hits exceed their troop quality, they roll against their troop quality, +excess hits, to see if they break. With a quality of 7, that's pretty good odds on not breaking; and then they reduce their cohesion hits. So even though the Legionairres are fairing better in hand to hand combat, their own cohesion hits are beginning to add up as the Phalanxes refuse to break.

GriffinTwoSix

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #13 on: June 25, 2021, 12:50:19 PM
On the right, Pyrrhus' Cavalry and Medium Infantry has routed the units in their front, and is turning the flank.  All of Pyrrhus' Elephants were routed in a series of combats.  2 Phalanxes and some other infantry routed, but was rallied. The center remains a stalemate.  On the left, the 2nd Roman legion is beginning its attack. The difference VP-wise so far has been that the Romans have been unable to rally many of their units after routing, whereas Pyrrhus has been able to rally everyone except the Elephants.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #14 on: June 25, 2021, 04:47:33 PM
Ooh, tense!  It sounds like it's become a question of who's right flank can turn the other's left flank first, with Pyrrhus currently having the advantage(?). 

So do you get better modifiers for rallying your troops, or have you just been rolling better than the Romans for the most part?  (I'm guessing the Phalanxes' cohesion perhaps helps a bit in this regard.) 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike