Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Bison's Tales of Hobby Crafting  (Read 56236 times)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #150 on: December 13, 2021, 05:12:56 AM
I dry brush black with mechanicus grey - it’s not light, almost not there until you stand back and see it

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #151 on: December 13, 2021, 06:43:10 PM
I will have to look into that color. I think the key is to be more selective on targeting the shaded areas with Nuln Oil and perhaps diluting it to 3:1 or 4:1 with water or Lahmian Medium.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #152 on: December 15, 2021, 04:49:17 AM
Two more horses are done and four more to go then I need to deal with the riders...I think I want to bust out the airbrush and do the fell beast and the troll soon but I should wait until I have more of the 100 Years War armies ready to prime.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #153 on: December 15, 2021, 09:07:02 AM
It's good to get some practice in painting horses since I have a couple of dozen to paint for the English and French armies too.

I do not like how the black horses turned out. The paint looks just flat with little to no highlighting/shadows.  I may need to go back and rework them. The others look pretty good. I really like the tan one with the white mane. The photo doesn't do it justice. All there is left to do is paint the bridle and saddle on the four so I can finish up the remaining Rohan horses.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #154 on: December 18, 2021, 10:29:40 AM
I need to replace my bottle of Agrax Earthshade...things happened. I may need to shift the focus off painting for a bit to work on other crafty things. Mostly I need to secure the bottles better...

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #155 on: December 18, 2021, 11:27:19 AM
Oh dear.  ;D  Cats again? 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #156 on: January 16, 2022, 11:44:55 AM
Life has been very busy the past month and into the next couple as well. However, some progress has been made in the hobby arena. The horses have been completed and work on the riders is ongoing. Built a few more of the English models for the Hundred Years War armies. The biggest update is the table "dream" has become a reality minus the window. I will post photos later.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #157 on: January 16, 2022, 11:48:07 AM
 :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #158 on: January 20, 2022, 01:51:48 PM
I have COVID...again...vaccine did not prevent it...sleep...cough...more sleep...cough...I hate sitting or lying around. So what is a guy to do in isolation? If you guessed find the MDF board and insulation foam to craft scatter terrain you would be correct!

Sorry Riders of Rohan. You are on the list but more pressing matters are at hand and as my wife says..."I fell into an ADHD hyper-focus zone."

I decided to build some Stone Henge-like scatter terrain and paint some other smaller pieces for the newly started family AD&D campaign. We are playing 2e AD&D this time. Mostly because I wanted to play with the rules and decide if it's a system I want to run on Fantasy Grounds. That however is a tale for another day.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #159 on: January 20, 2022, 01:53:08 PM
Stone-henge inspired scatter terrain. Four pieces in total.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #160 on: January 20, 2022, 01:56:19 PM
Single stones. This time with a pre-ground base painted photo for posterity's sake. I went with square bases. I wanted to do more artistic curves but I could not locate the jigsaw in my COVID-induced stupor.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #161 on: January 20, 2022, 01:58:24 PM
Painted up some stuff to jazz up the dungeons and other rooms. Barrels, chests of treasure, a desk and table, a cauldron, and an evil alter thingy. Barrels are a surprisingly huge pain in the ass to paint.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #162 on: January 20, 2022, 02:01:23 PM
Lastly, I finally broke out a Christmas gift from the family a huge bottle of Vallejo acrylic Earth Texture. I love this stuff. It's very easy to work and dries incredibly hard. Highly recommend this product. Anyway, I still need to paint and flock but you can see the end result of the product after it dries.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #163 on: January 20, 2022, 02:33:02 PM
1. That sucks that you've got COVID again

2. It doesn't suck that you produced some very cool terrain!

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #164 on: January 20, 2022, 03:06:34 PM
Thanks. An interesting artifact of the crafting process is the blood on the unbroken broken stone. It is visible in the photo on the long stone lying on the ground. I stabbed my thumb with my Exacto knife. It's fitting as a blood offering at a druidic site. :)