Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Bison's Tales of Hobby Crafting  (Read 56296 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #195 on: April 03, 2022, 12:54:53 PM
Looks great!

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Double Deuce

• Jr. Trooper
    • Combat Campaigns
Reply #196 on: April 03, 2022, 01:35:49 PM
Nice!

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #197 on: April 03, 2022, 02:46:05 PM
Thank you gentlemen.

I forgot I am in the middle of finishing up the three evil cult leaders for the campaign. The players are making their way to the lost library of Kraz the Betrayer and the first step toward encountering a lich who is Kraz himself. They have many, many levels to gain before they can even consider taking on Kraz. A lich is not an easy monster to confront. But first, I need to paint the last player character which is a magic user.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 03:13:58 PM by Bison »

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #198 on: April 03, 2022, 03:38:00 PM
Looking good!

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #199 on: April 04, 2022, 09:09:06 PM
The Devotees of Kraz the Betrayer.  I still need to work on their stats and such but the minis are done and ready for the table.

The Auger of Kraz is wearing a blue cloak and yellowish clam diggers. :) I think he will be a shamanic cleric. I may just go with the druid spell lists.

The Doomsayer of Kraz has a black cloak, mail armor, and a ginormous sword. He will be an anti-paladin.

The Oracle of Kraz has a fancy blue/green-silverish cloak and fancy armor. She will be an illusionist. I experimented on the base to have a mystical feel. Not sure I achieved it but I like the color.

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #200 on: April 05, 2022, 01:01:29 AM
I experimented on the base to have a mystical feel. Not sure I achieved it but I like the color.
I like all the bases. In fact, my eye was drawn to all three bases, as I felt you complemented the figures nicely with the way you based your figs. Again, excellent work! :bigthumb:

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #201 on: April 10, 2022, 02:03:33 AM
I have been using all of my limited hobby time focused on individual fantasy miniatures. I need to get back to completing the MESBG figures and get around to doing some historicals.

I am about a hair's breadth away from going in on some Black Powder Epic Scale American Civil War. We played it a few months ago. It plays well and looks good on the table. I really want to do Black Powder (and Sharpe's Practice) American War for Independence and some Hail Ceasar but 28mm is a beast to get whole armies done.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #202 on: April 10, 2022, 07:18:15 AM
Yep, 28mm is a beast. Apart from all the  WH40K stuff I had, I stuck to 15mm as a nice balance. It fits quite well on a moderately size table and does allow for some bigger battles.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #203 on: April 10, 2022, 08:54:20 AM
That's why I do games based on vehicles (Battletech, Cruel Seas, Tanks!, Federation Commander, etc).  Far less stuff to paint. 

I still have a backlog larger than my completed pile....

I have about 20 tanks in 15mm scale for the Desert War that I was plugging away at bur then the Speedpaints showed up and distracted me.  Now I just keep experimenting with them  on my practice minis.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #204 on: April 12, 2022, 10:29:44 AM
Whelp…I have a Black Powder Epic ACW starter box being delivered today.

I need to start packing up stuff for a move over the next couple of weeks. But I am going to prime the set on the sprue before I pack up the airbrush. I plan on painting with model color. They sell a civil war paint set which is very reasonably priced. I want to use a more matte finished paint rather than the more glossy game color and citadel lines. However, I am going to have to varnish them as I don’t think it holds up as well without it.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #205 on: April 12, 2022, 01:05:04 PM
One of my gaming buddies bought into the Epic scale ACW series 7-8 months ago.  He's been painting away since then and says he was finished the Rebs and was set to start on the Union but then he ordered more units (dismounted skirmishers, I think) and scenery so he's back working on the Rebs.  I figure we'll probably get a game started sometime in 2023?

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #206 on: April 20, 2022, 05:09:39 PM
I am trying to decide how to tackle the significant pile of Black Powder epic ACW plastic, metal, and MDF I now find myself with after losing my ever-living mind. I have the starter box and boxes of cavalry, dismounted cavalry, skirmishers, leader packs, and several MDF buildings. The biggest issue is I want to actually play the game as I paint the miniatures over the next several months. I think I will have to prime and paint the artillery first. Of course, if I prime them on the sprue as is my plan, I will lose the colored plastic separating the US and CSA forces. The wife thinks I need an intervention. I think I just need to just start priming and putting the artillery together. I also need to build out my color palettes and develop a scheme to magnetize the bases. I have plans. Many, many plans.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #207 on: April 20, 2022, 05:12:34 PM
Step 1: Clean your damn hobby table, Bison!

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #208 on: April 20, 2022, 06:18:22 PM
Everything has hobby potential. This is a mantra I try to live by daily. And so it was I found myself on a beach this past weekend. Sure the family was with me and we had a lot of fun building sandcastles, boogie boarding, swimming, and getting, let's call it, a tan. I love the ocean. The white noise made by the water is soothing. It gives me moments of zen and inspiration.

And so I found myself laying on the beach, initially identifying with the plight of beached whales and questioning whether my sunblock lotion was working or not.

Walking toward the ocean...

It dawned on me. The shells are perfect. Not the ones that actually look the part with their curves and ridges. But the ones that are worn down by the waves.

And so I set about a great project of gathering a motherload of shells. You see my dear friends. They look exactly like rocks. Miniature boulders with a perfect rim to apply super glue and adhere to a piece of MDF. A little plaster or air dry clay to smooth out transitions...look closely and you will see.

And so I brought home a gallon bag of shells and sand from South Padre Island to use in crafting. Sure I have sand already. Play sand and construction sand. But not sweet sand smoothed by centuries of waves washing over them grinding them down into perfection.

Keep your eyes open. Craft possibilities surround you!

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #209 on: April 20, 2022, 06:26:56 PM
Judging by the pictures your sunblock lotion was not working.  :whistle:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy