Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Best paints for painting figures  (Read 3261 times)

judgedredd

on: December 15, 2021, 03:23:27 AM
I have to paint my Aliens:Another Glorious Day in the Corps game

I have started and I've done Ripley and Newt...but painting was a pita because I'm using Tamyia Acrylics and they're not really designed for hand brushing - they need two coats and some time in between coats.

So I'm wondering what paints I could use for painting figures? Is Citadel a set or are they specifically for things like Warhammer 40000 or something? Vallejo (but not Vallejo Air)? Maybe just go to enamels for this small batch of painting I have to do?

Thanks

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 04:43:46 AM
I am confused by your concern over two coats for good coverage. That is pretty typical regardless of the paint brand.

However, you can pick up both Vallejo and Army Painter basic sets of 8 or 16 bottles for pretty reasonable prices. Either would work well. Citadel does have some sets but generally a very limited color pallet and more expensive.

judgedredd

Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 06:18:12 AM
From experience, if a figure is primed, then one coat will be enough. Especially when they're coated with weathering and finally a sealant like XF-86 or X-35. I've painted figures with enamels and they did not require two coats - much thicker paint and therefore better coverage.

The problem with acrylics (Tamiya is what I use) is they are specifically designed for airbrushing and so very thin (for airbrush use). I just don't like working with them for painting figures (which is not something I do often anyway).

Factor in I don't really have the patience to paint the figures at all (too small - too fiddly - too damn difficult), I really want to reduce the number of coats to one.

;D

judgedredd

Reply #3 on: December 15, 2021, 06:19:16 AM
I am confused by your concern over two coats for good coverage. That is pretty typical regardless of the paint brand.

However, you can pick up both Vallejo and Army Painter basic sets of 8 or 16 bottles for pretty reasonable prices. Either would work well. Citadel does have some sets but generally a very limited color pallet and more expensive.
I actually think I may have some Vallejo - I do have Vallejo Air, but I think I mistakenly bought some ordinary Vallejo when I first started air brushing. I'll have a gander. Thx

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #4 on: December 15, 2021, 06:33:37 AM
I always found that the paints from GW did the job OK, but I suspect its a subjective thing.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 08:32:39 AM
If you’re looking for good easy coverage over a primer then go citadel contrast - primer needs to be light but you’ll get good coverage, highlights and shading all in one job

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 10:43:09 AM
I always found that the paints from GW did the job OK, but I suspect its a subjective thing.

What'd you paint, Bob? Show us pictures!  :rockon:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #7 on: December 15, 2021, 11:53:10 AM
Most of my painted figs were sold off a long time ago, although there is a box somewhere with a Dwarf Bloodbowl team and some 40K imperial Guard figs in it. If I can find them, I'll see if I can get some decent photo's -  bearing in mind my feeble abilities where taking photo's are concerned.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

judgedredd

Reply #8 on: December 15, 2021, 02:44:51 PM
Thanks guys. The Vallejo seems to be doing the job.

Agragor

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #9 on: December 20, 2021, 04:41:48 AM
Sorry for the late entry...

I love the Vallejo surface primer 70.601 grey. It's made for airbrush, but if you get the hang of it, it's really good for applying with a brush. My significant other has serious issues with strong chemical smells which has made me very catious with spray paints. Also, because of logistical reasons I cannot use an airbrush.
There is a bit of a learning curve regarding the application with a brush and what texture you are applying it to. I haven't tried on big flat surfaces though...

It's my go to primer these days. Just wash the miniature first to get rid of solvents and other chemicals. I use a dedicated toothbrush and a mild dishwashing liquid.

If you are into wet blending I can recommend Privateer Press P3 colors.

I'm going to attach a picture of a blood bowl troll. Let's not speak of the loincloth... not happy with it, but the shoulderpad is P3 wet blending. The contrast could have been better, but I can't be picky these days. Otherwise I would never get anything done.

My preferred brands are PP P3 for colours, Army painter for washes but GW for Agrax Earthshade (or whatever it's called these days). The rest is a matter of tricks ;)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 04:48:34 AM by Agragor »

"If." - The Spartans