Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Look what I picked up  (Read 3809 times)

A Wolf at the Door

• Fresh Recruit
Reply #15 on: December 11, 2022, 10:30:16 PM
I have all of the Undaunted games and I just preordered Stalingrad. I have no regrets owning the series. I love the components, the thematic elements, and the fact that the game design is straight forward. But I suppose your mileage may vary.

"War is the unfolding of miscalculations."
-Barbara W. Tuchman

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #16 on: December 11, 2022, 11:12:32 PM
But I suppose your mileage may vary.

that's the key, innit?  We all like different stuff, but (so far) we've *all* been able to find at least something we like! :)

Do you mind expanding your thoughts a bit more?  What is it you like so much about it that keeps you coming back?  Why does this one hit your table ahead of other similar scale or topic games?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

GROGnadsUSA

Reply #17 on: December 11, 2022, 11:58:32 PM
I have all of the Undaunted games and I just preordered Stalingrad. I have no regrets owning the series. I love the components, the thematic elements, and the fact that the game design is straight forward. But I suppose your mileage may vary.

A Wolf at the Door

• Fresh Recruit
Reply #18 on: December 12, 2022, 12:46:41 AM
But I suppose your mileage may vary.

that's the key, innit?  We all like different stuff, but (so far) we've *all* been able to find at least something we like! :)

Do you mind expanding your thoughts a bit more?  What is it you like so much about it that keeps you coming back?  Why does this one hit your table ahead of other similar scale or topic games?

It's late but here are some random thoughts off the top of my head: I dig the artwork and the modular board tiles. Because the game is easy to set up, there isn't alot holding it back from hitting the table. I like the deck building aspect of the game. I think the two general categories of cards which are command and combat work well into the overall design of the game. By using your platoon command elements like the squad leaders and platoon sergeant, there is a certain compelling factor to the game with having the choice to "bolster" certain elements of your platoon like riflemen, sniper, and machine gunners. I like that the more cards you add to a certain element, the more effective and robust it will be. The sequence of play is very simple so player turns move quickly which keeps the players engaged with the game.

Take it easy and thanks for asking.

"War is the unfolding of miscalculations."
-Barbara W. Tuchman