Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Mafia  (Read 3866 times)

judgedredd

on: September 26, 2020, 06:11:43 AM
In my opinion, the best open world story game ever created for the pc....and it's being re-imagined.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1030840/Mafia_Definitive_Edition/

Looks like a graphics update on a very, very solid game and story...bought without hesitation.

Mafia is one of a handful of PC games I've completed and the only game I've ever played through more than once. I think I've played it 4 times.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 07:26:05 AM
Same here - although I’m now looking forward to sin city (?) - the paradox one

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 07:48:17 AM
Same here - although I’m now looking forward to sin city (?) - the paradox one

Empire of Sin.
Never played Mafia, but Empire looks interesting.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 11:38:09 AM
Just wait. If you haven't tried Mafia II or Mafia III, you're in for a pair of treats. Both are pretty awesome.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

judgedredd

Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 12:13:53 PM
Sorry BC - but I have to disagree with you there...

They got worse as they went on. Mafia was top notch. Mafia II whilst decent had some really, really bad mission designs. Mafia III was an open world shite fest.

Even Mafia with it's 2002 graphics was a bigger draw than II or III

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 12:44:44 PM
Really? Well that's discouraging. I only have 5.3 hours in Mafia II and 3.8 hours in Mafia III, but they were enjoyable. Admittedly I haven't gotten back to either, though.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

judgedredd

Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 02:08:19 PM
Mafia III went really open world and less story driven.

Alot of people like that but it's not for me. I like a good story and I'm happy for that to be on rails. The other thing III did was have lots of "useless" little collectibles about the place...I mean lots and for a gamer like me, they become very, very distracting.

So when I say they got worse, it's obviously from my viewpoint. lots of people, I imagine, who like alot more open world and these collectibles, would've definitely had a different opinion to me.

I don't know what it was specifically or even if it was any one thing...but Mafia for me had me gripped...the other two seemed to "move away" from the original. The second not so much but III definitely seemed to.

The second one was ok and had a great story and living world, but some of the missions were downright lazy...I think there was a 5 or 10 minute mission (could've been longer or shorter) that had you selling cigarettes. Another had you cleaning a urinal...real boring crap that gets put into a game because "gamers need shit to do"...you know? Rather than just having a cinematic, that showed what was going on, we need to keep the gamer moving...so press this key several times to clean left and this key to clean right. Thankfully there weren't many and the second one had a cracking story - particularly and excellent tie in to the first one.

So anyone wanting to play the Mafia games, I'd say play the first one (original or the new one...they're almost identical bar the graphics and some added dialog and cut scenes I think), then play the second and get the tie in to the first one...it was worth it - and try III when it's on sale...but don't expect the ride you had from the first two.

imo  :2funny: