Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Target for Today  (Read 3673 times)

judgedredd

on: January 12, 2020, 03:11:52 AM
Who's got (and played!) Target for Today?

I'd like to know what anyone thinks of it before I go diving into the rules because I started looking at the rules last night and it didn't seem to me to be overly simple...or even simple.

Bearing in mind I have very little short term memory,  is it a game I can start playing jumping in and out of the rules and are they laid out easily enough to do so?

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 04:05:13 AM
I bought it, played twice, and sold it as it just wasn't my cup of tea.  I felt that it boiled down to me rolling dice and consulting tables to create a narrative rather than me playing a game where my decisions affect the outcome.  The rules themselves were really quite straightforward.  It was just like following a recipe.  Do step one, roll on the table, apply the results, repeat for each step along the way.  The rules could've used more examples and illustrations but they were laid out logically and were easy to follow.

It's a solo game so just take your time.  Do each section (take off, ingress, bombing run, return, landing) and read through that section of the rules.  Take a break and come back when you're ready to tackle the next section.

judgedredd

Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 06:43:46 AM
Thanks SDR

I think I'll give it a play and see how it goes. I'm keen to get Heroes of the Nam, so I may sell this to get that.

Although I was looking at Terraforming Mars...

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 07:26:09 AM
Target for Today is just a remake of AH’s B-17 Queen of the Skies.
It’s all about the narrative and not too many deep decisions by the player.
Played it to death in my teens.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

judgedredd

Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 07:49:45 AM
Target for Today is just a remake of AH’s B-17 Queen of the Skies.
It’s all about the narrative and not too many deep decisions by the player.
Played it to death in my teens.
Yeah I did play (very, very briefly) QotS and I didn't get on with it. I knew this was a remake of the game and heard people saying it's about the narrative...plus it had updated components including a huge target list - so I thought I'd give it a punt.

It's just I was in the rules last night and the difference between that rule book and the new LnL book or Conflict of Heroes or just about most other games is night and day. It's very bland and matter of fact.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 08:01:12 AM
Haven’t played TfT but from what I’ve read it’s more of the same as QotS. More chrome means more rolling not necessarily more decisions.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 07:02:57 AM
A friend of mine from high school got me interested in it, so I bought it a couple of years ago.

Played it and realized it was totally on rails. Nothing but roll on table A, which tells you what sub-table to roll on, which tells you what sub-sub-table to roll on, which gives you an in-game effect. There is no meaningful decisions to make other than naming your bomber and if you're so inclined, your crew.

That said, as a narrative generator, it's outstanding. If you're looking to just be along for the ride as the 'story' develops, by all means it'll be a great game.

At the time I had it, I hated it with a passion since it was on rails. I ended up selling it after a couple of missions as it was still pretty much brand new. And then I gained an appreciation for 'games on rails' just because they should be approached with a different perspective, rather than games with meaningful decisions. If you can appreciate narrative generation, you'll appreciate TfT, but if not, it'll definitely not be your cuppa.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)