Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Steam Christmas Sale  (Read 5707 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #15 on: December 23, 2020, 04:29:48 AM
Well I finally caved and grabbed Three Kingdoms TW off of Fanatical, along with the Yellow Turban and Mandate of Heaven DLC's.  I nearly picked up Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord as well, but I at least managed to restrain myself that far.  ::) 

I think Im definitely going to pick up Civ VI for $15.

I was thinking of another Total War game and I'm not sure between Warhammer II or Three Kingdoms???

Then there is always Crusader Kings III but I was hoping for more of a discount given how much of a cheapskate I am.  :)

WH2 is excellent, but as UCG said, you'll also need to get WH1 in order to play the Mortal Empires campaign.  It's worth it, though, IMHO.  You can also purchase both games for cheaper if you go through Fanatical -- $31.18 versus $38.38 on Steam. 

Of course, 3K gets a lot of praise as well.  I can't personally comment on the game -- yet :D -- but it's generally regarded as the best historical Total War title since at least Shogun 2, and perhaps the best one overall. 

As for CK3, it's safe to say you'll see a bigger price drop once Paradox starts releasing DLC for it.  :P 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #16 on: December 23, 2020, 09:14:56 PM
There is a lifetime of gaming in wh2 but remember afaik you need wh1 to play the mortal empire maps

I think Im definitely going to pick up Civ VI for $15.

I was thinking of another Total War game and I'm not sure between Warhammer II or Three Kingdoms???

Then there is always Crusader Kings III but I was hoping for more of a discount given how much of a cheapskate I am.  :)

WH2 is excellent, but as UCG said, you'll also need to get WH1 in order to play the Mortal Empires campaign.  It's worth it, though, IMHO.  You can also purchase both games for cheaper if you go through Fanatical -- $31.18 versus $38.38 on Steam. 

Thanks for the heads up. 

I dont know much about the WH universe so will that hamper the enjoyment of the game?

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #17 on: December 23, 2020, 11:11:12 PM
I'm looking at, War in the West but I'm not sure if I want to tackle something that big. Might have to pass again this year.

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #18 on: December 23, 2020, 11:18:56 PM
I'm looking at, War in the West but I'm not sure if I want to tackle something that big. Might have to pass again this year.

Yeah, I keep looking at that one too.... 70% off seems like a good deal.  :idiot2:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #19 on: December 23, 2020, 11:27:49 PM
I bought HALO: Combat Evolved within the Master Chief Collection, but that's it. It's the game that got me interested in FPSs back in the day. I must say I'm impressed with the graphical overhaul the game received.

And, TCT - I only have passing familiarity with the WH universe, but those games are great fun regardless of your knowledge level, I think.  :bigthumb:

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #20 on: December 24, 2020, 01:09:44 AM
I dont know much about the WH universe so will that hamper the enjoyment of the game?

Not at all.  I myself knew virtually nothing about the universe when I purchased WH1, but I quickly found myself having a blast anyway. 

When your Dwarf Longbeard units are chopping away at the Greenskin hordes threatening to overwhelm you, with their Quarreler brethren behind them cheerfully blasting the enemy ranks to smithereens, while overhead your Gyrocopter units simultaneously rain down fiery death upon them, it's difficult to *not* enjoy oneself.  8) 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

judgedredd

Reply #21 on: December 24, 2020, 04:08:42 AM

Yeah, I keep looking at that one too.... 70% off seems like a good deal.  :idiot2:
The War in the West sits in a folder shortcut on my desktop with War in the Pacific:Admirals Edition and it's a folder I never, ever open..... :worried:

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #22 on: December 24, 2020, 07:37:01 AM

The War in the West sits in a folder shortcut on my desktop with War in the Pacific:Admirals Edition and it's a folder I never, ever open..... :worried:

Ha! I have WitP AE as well and played it once or twice... that's the main thing holding me back from getting WitW.  :Loser:

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #23 on: December 24, 2020, 08:40:27 AM

Ha! I have WitP AE as well and played it once or twice... that's the main thing holding me back from getting WitW.  :Loser:

Sounds like we should set up a PBEM game of WITP with one of the training wheel scenarios!

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #24 on: December 24, 2020, 09:24:38 AM

Sounds like we should set up a PBEM game of WITP with one of the training wheel scenarios!

Thanks for the offer but I don’t think I care to learn that game any more. The Pacific campaign just doesn’t have the draw for me as the other fronts do.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #25 on: December 24, 2020, 09:41:43 AM
Peh if you’re going to do it you may as well do the full campaign

It’s practically impossible to go wrong as the US - yes you’ll face setbacks and trouble even playing badly but you have so much materiel coming out of the dockyards in the late game it doesn’t matter - just don’t lose the dockyards!!