Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: CDG and Solo  (Read 5506 times)

judgedredd

on: December 31, 2020, 03:53:15 PM
I know Stuka Joe has a series out there showing how to play card driven games solo...but, it's quite heavy (looks like a game in itself).

Anyway - I was looking at it but I wondered what was wrong with my old way - which I used for Memoir 44 - which was draw new cards each turn and shuffle. That way the opponent (you) doesn't know what you have when they are playing their cards.

It would seem that is over simplistic looking at Stuka Joe's instructions...but just wondered if there was any reason people knew of why it couldn't be that simple - as I don't often play CDGs so I'm not sure of the impact of being so simplistic?

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 04:01:46 PM
Memoir '44, to be fair, is a fairly simple system, unlike other CDGs. Paths of Glory comes to mind, which I acquired a bit ago and looked at Stuka Joe's CDG method by which to play it solo. I think it's intended more for more complex games such as that.

In the end, though, all that matters is how you enjoy it. If your method works for you and gives you enjoyment in the game, then there's nothing wrong with that - nor in letting us know how you do your game card draws in CDGs.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 04:33:47 PM
^What he said. Use your own method that works for you and have fun.
This seems familiar to me. Like maybe I've talked about it somewhere else before...

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 05:05:02 PM
I know Stuka Joe has a series out there showing how to play card driven games solo...but, it's quite heavy (looks like a game in itself).

Anyway - I was looking at it but I wondered what was wrong with my old way - which I used for Memoir 44 - which was draw new cards each turn and shuffle. That way the opponent (you) doesn't know what you have when they are playing their cards.

It would seem that is over simplistic looking at Stuka Joe's instructions...but just wondered if there was any reason people knew of why it couldn't be that simple - as I don't often play CDGs so I'm not sure of the impact of being so simplistic?

Just throwing this out, for M44/C&C games:

Part of the strategy, and the challenge, is lining up your cards for a successful series of moves; e.g., if you have 3 or 4 cards that allow you to move in the right sector, you can act and follow through and hope your opponent cannot match your cards. Similarly, your attack often culminates (i.e., you run out of cards) with your units exposed or close to success, but you just can't draw that one last card because they are all depleted.

Reshuffling and re-drawing takes out that part of the game, as well as the increasing likelihood that you might deplete all of the "good" cards for one sector.

But they're just games, so enjoy them however you want--just throwing this out in response to your question.

judgedredd

Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 05:34:28 PM
Thanks TTC. As i haven't played CDGs before that's exactly what I was looking for.

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 04:20:21 PM
Thanks TTC. As i haven't played CDGs before that's exactly what I was looking for.

You can still learn the mechanics and enjoy the game, so the shuffle and deal method would still be fun--but you're losing out on another dimension in the game.

judgedredd

Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 04:31:10 PM
I am and I understand that...but I'm losing out on good games by not being able to play multiplayer.

I know it's a case of not being able to plan based on the cards you have and it becomes pretty random.

But... playing at player game solo is a bit like that...its hard to combat knowing what you know.

Also boardgames have a lot of randomness anyway with die rolls. I know I'll be leaving planning behind but inviting randomness isn't necessarily a bad thing...especially if I get to play at player game solo

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 06:18:55 PM
I just noticed in GMT's monthly email today that they have a new P500 - a CDG Solo System.

The CDG Solo System is a revised GMT Edition of Stuka Joe's CDG solo method, which streamlines two-handed solitaire gameplay by decreasing turn to turn overhead and maintenance. This method of play increases narrative immersion as the great battles of history unfold on your tabletop. The GMT edition of the CDG Solo System includes professionally printed components, a custom screen-printed die, an official ruleset, and Playsheets for six of GMT’s most popular Card Driven Games.

(snip)

Playsheet Support
Along with a Rules Summary and the components we’ve talked about above, the system will launch with official Playsheet support for six GMT games:

Caesar: Rome vs Gaul
Commands & Colors: Ancients
For The People
Illusions of Glory
Paths of Glory
Washington’s War 

So it's based on Stuka Joe's system and sounds like it might be a bit more refined. I went ahead and splurged to sign up for it because it's only $14 (P500 price, anyway) and I'd like to use it with Paths of Glory.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 06:40:13 PM
Meh, I don't know. It's tempting, but what does it add beyond Stuka's system? I mean, PC games are still trying to create a competent AI and failing. Why would anyone think a system for a board game would be any better?

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 09:17:44 PM
Good questions.

What does it add? Check out the article Stuka Joe himself wrote on the system, for GMT. Interesting stuff.

I think suspension of disbelief is just as important in gaming as it is in movies, or TV shows, or books, or anything with intended entertainment value. If this helps carry things closer to that suspension for a card-driven game, I can give it a shot. And I'd much rather have professionally-produced material - because I'm too lazy to mess with it otherwise.  :D