Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: LnL Tactical question  (Read 22265 times)

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #15 on: October 31, 2019, 09:46:11 PM
It's been a while since I looked in the box, bit I do recall seeing two manuals in there... One for v4 rules and something else. I'll have a look when I get home

Yes, you'll have the V4.xx Core rulebook for modern combat  (There were different core rulebooks for WWII and post WWII prior to v5.0 where they combined all the rules) and another booklet with scenarios and rules specific to the Falklands theatre.  Basically, the Brits get to roll a d8 instead of a d6 when shooting.  They can try to self rally if they get attacked in melee.  the Argies flip out and go berserk for a turn if someone rolls doubles during combat.  There's almost no cover except for rocky outcrops but digging someone out of those is tough. 

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #16 on: October 31, 2019, 10:07:38 PM
So we were both right?!?
Dammit!
.. How's a guy s'posed to win an argument 'round here?
 :tickedoff:

It's a complicated hobby

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #17 on: November 01, 2019, 06:59:18 AM
Win an argument? Strange notion. :ROFL:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

judgedredd

Reply #18 on: November 01, 2019, 05:02:28 PM
It's been a while since I looked in the box, bit I do recall seeing two manuals in there... One for v4 rules and something else. I'll have a look when I get home

Yes, you'll have the V4.xx Core rulebook for modern combat  (There were different core rulebooks for WWII and post WWII prior to v5.0 where they combined all the rules) and another booklet with scenarios and rules specific to the Falklands theatre.  Basically, the Brits get to roll a d8 instead of a d6 when shooting.  They can try to self rally if they get attacked in melee.  the Argies flip out and go berserk for a turn if someone rolls doubles during combat.  There's almost no cover except for rocky outcrops but digging someone out of those is tough.
Thanks SDR 👍
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 11:23:44 AM by judgedredd »

judgedredd

Reply #19 on: November 05, 2019, 06:48:17 AM
So I've now got the Solo set for LnL Tactical. It looks great and I'm looking forward to playing with it.

However......I know....there's a part of the Walkthrough in the manual that comes with the expansion which I'm confued by. Here goes.

So the Russians have a sniper in a 2 story building and the Germans enter the map. The manual says
The Germans move first onto the Map. They move a stack of (2) 1-6-4 units with a 6-0-6 Leader and a onto the board and in range of the sniper in the level 2 church in hex F4
That's verbatim.

The next part says
The sniper, located in the second floor of the church is the only unit that has LOS and will determine if it Op fire using the Defensive Posture Opportunity flowchart
All good - that's the situation. The Germans move a stack of 2 units and 1 leader onto the map and the Russian sniper wants to use the Defensive Posture Opportunity flowchart to see if it should attack.

The first entry on the flowchart says
Defensive Posture - Conducting Opportunity Fire

Fine.

The next bit is what is confusing me...it says
Moving PU part of a stack?
PU = Player Unit (in this case the Germans). The manual has selected NO to this question and I'm left scratching my head because the PU is part of a stack.

However, as part of that NO decision, the manual says
The Player Unit (PU) is not part of a stack (it was not part of a stack that remained in the starting hex)

I don't understand why the manual has decided the German units being attacked were not part of a stack. Can someone please clarify?

Thanks

judgedredd

Reply #20 on: November 08, 2019, 02:59:16 PM
Hi all

Just wanted to ask people's views on my first encounter with the Argies in Heroes of the Falklands. I haven't played LnL Tactical for a very, very long time, so I'm just asking if you can check to make sure my workings are correct. I will probably post more here - so if you could please check now and again, I'd appreciate it.

So the status is the Argies can land on any one of 8 beach hexes (marked with a red dot). I randomly selected the hex by a die roll. They landed in hex I7. It costs 2 MPs to move on the beach. The beach is classed as open terrain but even though the British units in F3 have the range normally to spot and fire, range is reduced to 4 for the first turn.

So the Argies have 4 MPs and have used 2 to enter the beach hex. Next best thing is to jump into the wooden building in I6.

On moving in, the British units in hex J4 (upper level of a level 2 building) perform Opportunity Fire. As they are British, they roll an 8 sided die. They roll an 8. They have 1 for their IFP (inherent firepower) and 2 for their SW (support Weapon) but they are firing through degrading terrain (hex I5) which is a -1 modifier totalling a firepower rating of 10.

The Argies are in a wooden building with a DM (defensive modifier) of +3. They roll a 2 for the DC (defense check) giving a total of 5. The result is 10 (attacking FP) - 5 (defensive bonus) = 5.

I first roll against the Argie leader. His LM (leadership modifier) of 1 cannot be applied to him. I roll a 5 giving an attack value of 10. On the DFT (Direct Fire Table) that's greater than the leaders morale of 6 but less than twice his morale, so he's shaken.

I then roll against the two squads getting 3 and 2 respectively giving attack values of 8 and 7, making both those units shaken.

So questions are...
  • Firstly were my calculations correct?
  • Secondly, should I have done something different with the Argies? I knew they would be fired on, but I'm conscious that they were not to know that the British were there and that in their mind, they'd like to get into cover...so I headed for the building. I could've left them as moved on the beach and then low crawled into the building the next turn, but I won't make enough progress that way (7 turns) and again - they were not to know the British were where they are

I was looking at the solo expansion (I was planning on using the solo expansion for both sides - but I'm not going to or I may in part - to teach myself what decisions I should make) and wondering if I should've low crawled them onto the beach. Again, I couldn't see them making any progress over 7 turns...that's why I walked them onto the beach and moved them into the building.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #21 on: November 08, 2019, 03:57:43 PM
An 8 on the d8 is always going to hurt.  I would have moved them to J7 and waited until next turn to use their assault move ability to move into the building. Send one squad in first to hopefully draw fire so the Brits are spotted and then move the rest in and shoot back.

judgedredd

Reply #22 on: November 08, 2019, 04:02:11 PM
Good thinking...

I did forget to put a spotted marker on the British troops. If another Argentinian unit gets to move around the same area, they could have a pop at the Brits.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 04:04:58 PM by judgedredd »

judgedredd

Reply #23 on: November 08, 2019, 05:58:22 PM
I meant to ask...can soldiers create foxholes? If so how? Or are they just on map when mentioned in the scenario?

If they can, I presume they're marked as ops complete?

The manual section on them is brief and didn't mention how to use them...just that soldiers liked to create additional cover

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #24 on: November 08, 2019, 05:58:29 PM
There should be a -1 for the Argies for firing at moving infantry.

I agree with SDR about moving to J7. Next turn send one squad around the end of the building and up next to the Brits to make them a) shoot or b) be auto spotted for being next to a GO friendly. K6-K5-K4. Then move remaining squad, SW, and leader into the ground floor, J4, in the next impulse.

But moving directly into the building is just as valid, the Brits just got lucky.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #25 on: November 08, 2019, 05:59:29 PM
No, you can’t make foxholes unless by SSR.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #26 on: November 08, 2019, 09:15:49 PM

Digging one deep enough to have a measurable game effect would take longer than most of the scenarios

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

judgedredd

Reply #27 on: November 09, 2019, 03:05:22 AM
There should be a -1 for the Argies for firing at moving infantry.

I agree with SDR about moving to J7. Next turn send one squad around the end of the building and up next to the Brits to make them a) shoot or b) be auto spotted for being next to a GO friendly. K6-K5-K4. Then move remaining squad, SW, and leader into the ground floor, J4, in the next impulse.

But moving directly into the building is just as valid, the Brits just got lucky.
I might have used -1 for the Argies movement - the above was all from memory.

I'm glad you said my move was "just as valid". I was playing as "honestly" as I could for the opposition (I don't know why I didn't use the Solo cards...I think I just forgot). The idea was to make progress forward and get them into cover. -3 TM is decent cover and was worth the risk. As you said, the Brits got lucky rolling an 8.

In hindsight though, the Argies wouldn't have known if anyone was in the building or not...so perhaps I shouldn't have entered them onto the map as a stack and first made one "scout"....I don't think it said in the scenario rules that they had to enter as a stack.

judgedredd

Reply #28 on: November 09, 2019, 03:07:05 AM
Thank you

Digging one deep enough to have a measurable game effect would take longer than most of the scenarios
I was thinking more a "shell scrape" or something which can be dug fairly quickly...but yeah - all other "fortifications" would take some time to build properly.

judgedredd

Reply #29 on: November 09, 2019, 03:08:33 AM
Well that was only the first impulse. It took me ages because I was reading back the rules.

Impulse 2 to come and I'll try and use the Solo cards to show them off.