Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Old World (Soren Johnson)  (Read 29246 times)

W8taminute

• Jr Lancer
  • Put the glasses on
Reply #135 on: May 25, 2022, 02:28:52 PM
The first two tutorials took me roughly 45 minutes each.  The third and fourth ones definitely took about an hour.  I'm still working on the fifth (and final?) tutorial atm and I've already got 50 minutes into it. 

Don't be afraid, don't be dismayed

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #136 on: May 25, 2022, 03:38:41 PM
Incidentally, this is the final day of the 10%-off launch sale.  Buyers can still get the Heroes of the Aegean DLC free for another week, but the game will be regular price after today. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #137 on: May 26, 2022, 11:48:41 AM

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #138 on: May 26, 2022, 03:47:31 PM
I got through the first 2 tutorials yesterday, and will resume playing the 3rd one when I get home from work tonight.  The "Orders" system is one of the big game-changers, obviously, and am now learning about how Characters work.  It's clearly not as deep or complex as in Crusader Kings, but still interesting.  Would love to see a Leader/Character system like this implemented in Stellaris and Distant Worlds 2. 

I have to admit that one aspect of Old World I'm definitely *not* fond of so far is the (now almost ubiquitous) 1UPT.  In all honesty, I suspect I'm never going to love it.  But I think I might be able to enjoy the game in spite of it. 

I also have to give a shout-out to the game's soundtrack.  Just...wow.  I have no words.  In terms of beauty, length, and variety, I'm utterly blown away.  I could almost love Old World for the music alone. 

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #139 on: May 26, 2022, 03:55:22 PM
Now I'm wondering if I should have tried Offworld Trading Company. It being RTS kind of kept me away.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #140 on: May 26, 2022, 05:46:13 PM
For buying Old World on Steam I got a coupon for a free copy of Off World Trading Company - not sure if the deal is still live.

Always do what you feel is best.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #141 on: May 26, 2022, 06:09:19 PM
Well, I actually own it. I just think I should have tried it.  ;D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #142 on: May 26, 2022, 06:15:26 PM
Now I'm wondering if I should have tried Offworld Trading Company. It being RTS kind of kept me away.

Base game is on sale right now on Steam, and even cheaper on Green Man Gaming.

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #143 on: May 26, 2022, 09:12:06 PM
Stop throwing your logic at me, bbmike!

Always do what you feel is best.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #144 on: May 27, 2022, 04:14:49 AM
Ten months after the last time doing so (shortly after the game's full release on Epic), Three Moves Ahead sits down with Leila & Soren again about Old World.  It's a pretty nice chat. 

https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/old-world-interview

I probably could've gotten over the RTS aspect, the problem is there are simply too many other games I want to play.  Overall, it's a good problem to have, of course.  :) 

For buying Old World on Steam I got a coupon for a free copy of Off World Trading Company - not sure if the deal is still live.

I got a free copy of OWTC just for signing up for the Mohawk Games newsletter on their website.  They seem to give away the game so much, that I honestly wonder if they've made any money on it at all.  ??? 

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #145 on: May 27, 2022, 04:37:17 AM
the problem is there are simply too many other games I want to play.  Overall, it's a good problem to have, of course.  :) 

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and while I've said the same thing for years, nowadays I'm not so sure it is a good problem. Back in the day I'd get excited about four or five games a year, and when they came out I'd play them, finish them, get very good at them and all that. These days there's (at least) one game a week I want. I buy many of them. So not only do I not give any of them the time they deserve, but also I can't deny I'm wasting money really.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #146 on: May 27, 2022, 06:24:25 AM
Yeah, too many to do justice to. I try and focus on one that I think I will really play a lot, such as Warlock, AoW III and so on. The problem then is that a load more new games come out in rapid succession, and makes me change my priorities :-(

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #147 on: May 27, 2022, 02:06:55 PM
I don't disagree with what either of you are saying.  They're all valid points. 

At the same time, if I were forced to choose, I'd rather have the problem of too many (good) games, than too few. 

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #148 on: May 27, 2022, 02:16:01 PM
Its a bit of a double-edge sword, innit? :-)

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #149 on: May 27, 2022, 02:40:09 PM
if I were forced to choose, I'd rather have the problem of too many (good) games, than too few.

You're probably right about that mate.